Artie Has Started 'tearing It Up' ?? Help If You Can..

cluckingduck

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Artie is an F5 Bengal, (looks like a broken mackerel tabby, and has been very gentle) who has been mellow, well fed and treated well for 8-9 years in our home. He has lately started biting and pulling up strands of our (6 month old) berber carpet. We have bought him DaBird, DaMouse etc toys, and he eats one up in about an hour. I need to find an anti-bite-the-carpet spray, powder, ??, that will stop him without making him sick, or hurting him. (well, maybe a sprinkling of pepper might teach him he doesn't like the carpet??-but cayenne doesn't work!). Any help? He eats well (and $$$) ziwipeak for 2-3 years now, and is treated like royalty, so there is no 'abuse' but I get into a less than kind mood when he starts tearing onto my carpet! Any ideas?
Thanks

Last edited:

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you have any extra bits of the carpet from when it was installed left? You could staple to a scratching post....oh wait you said biting, not scratching.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe Bitter Apple/anti-chewing spray? It's probably in the dog area because cats rarely chew things. It shouldn't hurt the carpet. Try a few different brands/flavors, as some cats consider them condiments ;).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cluckingduck

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
bitter apple doesn't work. I'm going to try lemon spray, as I hear cats hate citrus!