Artie and his Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Quick Artie update:

Artie was strange today. Could not put my finger on it. He keeps looking at his litter box. I think he needs to poop, but he has not gone.

Artie was refusing his food this morning.. all morning. I left for a few hours, came home and the food was still untouched. He kept looking at me, was a pain, as if he wanted to eat.
I ended up dumping out his food, a 1/4 of a can.

I decided to give him a Cyproheptadine--appetite stimulant. It worked. He has eaten 3/4 of a can of food since taking it at 2pm.

I need to give him his lactulose, but I want to wait until his stomach is a bit empty and he is quiet..He is in his tent right now..

He did not have a large stool yesterday and none today, so I know he has to go..

I was thinking of giving him a Cerenia, but I will wait and see on that. He had a lot of burping last night. He was on my lap so, I could see and feel him burping.

He is limping quite a bit with the right back leg. I think it is arthritis. I have to ask NVet, again, about this. He was actually lifting it up a bit when he was walking today.
This afternoon, he was getting off the couch onto the coffee table, which is right up against the couch. I think his leg went out from under him, and he almost fell.

I really need to discuss this with the NVet. I have not seen him limping like this...

I wonder if he aggravated his leg? He has been inspecting the kitchen table during the night. I have found some things on the floor when I get up. Perhaps he jumped down too hard? after all, he is 13 years old...

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
He is limping quite a bit with the right back leg. I think it is arthritis. I have to ask NVet, again, about this. He was actually lifting it up a bit when he was walking today.
Oh no, I hope Artie's right back leg is okay. It very well may be arthritis especially since you said he is 13 y.o. Speaking with the NVet is an excellent idea and we'll be waiting to hear his expert opinion. I hope Artie stays off the kitchen table tonight and rests his rear leg. Hugs and kisses to Artie, please tell him the Army members are all in his corner. :grouphug:

inkysmom

Inky's legacy - Belly rubs CAN tame feral cats!
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If he's noticeably limping on one leg, and to the point that it may be giving out on him and he's actually holding it up off the floor, that's called three legged lame for dogs and horses, (I've owned both for well over 20 years). Non weight bearing isn't usually typical of just arthritis although of course arthritis is and can be quite painful. This sounds like a more acute severe injury that needs at least a phone consult with a vet you trust, of not an actual exam.
At the very least try to keep him as still and quiet as possible to avoid further injury. And call whichever vet you trust most in the am. Good luck!

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
I did speak with the NVet's secretary very early this morning.

What concerns me the most is that, his leg had gone out from under him a few a few times last night.

He leg went out from under him, a few times last night. Twice when he was trying to jump up onto the coffee table, which is 14 inches from the floor. He almost fell.

Later, when he was walking, he seemed a bit 'drunk' because his leg was going out on him.

He has been very quiet. He is also pooping, standing up. Not a good sign.

He has a limp.. it is, as the only way I can describe it: Try walking with you knee, and ankle locked, swinging your leg out AROUND to the outside, in an arc...that is was his gate last night..

Today, he is limping.. he does not want to weight bear on that leg. I can see him hoping it up just a tiny bit when he walks..

He has had a limp for a while... thinking this is either a combo of arthritis, aggravated by either the weather, or jumping from the dining room table, and landing wrong.

I put a step stool, next to the file cabinet which is next to his cat tree. I thought I could use that as stairs for him. He does not know what to make of it.

I am just awaiting info from the NVet....
perhaps watch and see, or anti-inflammatory, or what...

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I did speak with the NVet's secretary very early this morning.

What concerns me the most is that, his leg had gone out from under him a few a few times last night.

He leg went out from under him, a few times last night. Twice when he was trying to jump up onto the coffee table, which is 14 inches from the floor. He almost fell.

Later, when he was walking, he seemed a bit 'drunk' because his leg was going out on him.

He has been very quiet. He is also pooping, standing up. Not a good sign.

He has a limp.. it is, as the only way I can describe it: Try walking with you knee, and ankle locked, swinging your leg out AROUND to the outside, in an arc...that is was his gate last night..

Today, he is limping.. he does not want to weight bear on that leg. I can see him hoping it up just a tiny bit when he walks..

He has had a limp for a while... thinking this is either a combo of arthritis, aggravated by either the weather, or jumping from the dining room table, and landing wrong.

I put a step stool, next to the file cabinet which is next to his cat tree. I thought I could use that as stairs for him. He does not know what to make of it.

I am just awaiting info from the NVet....
perhaps watch and see, or anti-inflammatory, or what...
Awww, Artie, come on, big guy!
If I lay on my leg for a long time, or sit awkwardly, sometimes my foot/leg goes to sleep and if I get up quickly, it can be like that, sort of. I wonder if that's what's going on with Artie? Hope the NVet can provide answers and that Artie will get better!
I have a little single-level cat condo that I put next to one of the beds for cats who aren't confident about jumping. The other bed is a platform bed so they can use that to step up and down if they want to. The stepstool is a good idea! I hope he'll use it soon. Jackson Galaxy talks a lot about graduated levels of places for cats to climb and it makes a lot of sense.
Feel better soon, Artie man!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Awwwww, Artie! I just did a quick check on one of those "age conversion" things, and it seems as if you are about 70, plus a bit. I'd be a bit amazed if you didn't have a little arthritis kicking in here and there! I'm sure that adorable NVet will be able to help you. In the meantime, DO NOT be jumping up on stuff! Remember, you have to jump back down again, and the landings are rough. We love you.

If it is arthritis, Artiemom, this link may help him cope, there seems to be a wide range of prices.
Dog Steps & Ramps - Free shipping at Chewy.com

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
Artie Update...

Artie did poop a total of 10 inches today, in 2 episodes. He is eating ok..He still seems a bit subdued today, although he did take a flying leap from his scratcher to the small cabinet onto the cat tree, so he could be brushed...

He was really limping this morning and did not greet me when I was in the bathroom. I had to go after him!! He was curled up on the other chair, on top of his folded throw..nice and soft.

I spoke with the NVet Sec.. she was going to speak to him as soon as she could and let me know what was going on..

In addition to Artie having the jumping issues, last night; I also saw his leg go out from under him a couple of times. I was really getting scared.. of course, I thought about a saddle embolism starting.. I know too much...

I got a VM message while I was out. The NVEt really does not want to give Artie any more meds, wants me to watch him very closely over the week-end, and try to not have him jump... Yeah right!! Even the Sec said, "Good luck with that"...

I can understand the NVets reasoning: right now, Artie is in a fairly good place. He is eating just enough of food, he is pooping just enough. He does not want to do anything at all to upset the balance of things. Does not want to take a chance that an anti-inflammatory could have an effect on Artie's stomach, bowels, or even activity level...

I think the week-end will pretty much put an end to that reasoning..

There is no way I can monitor Artie's activities: he was curled up in his tent, sleeping. I was in the kitchen making a salad, and washing dishes. All of a sudden I turned my head and there he was in the doorway!! He jumped down from the coach-- 18 inches....

I measured the heights of things.. the highest is my bed at 28 inches. The lowest is the
trunk/coffee table, at 14 inches.

I still have the step stool in front of the small cabinet.. Artie does not get the clue to use it to climb up.. sigh... that height is 20 inches... The chair he sleeps in is 23 inches..

I am looking at pet steps... thanks Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 for the link. I will check it out. I did put a couple of steps in my cart on Amazon. I will look at Chewy...

Do I get just one set of stairs or 2? One for my bed and another for the cabinet, which leads up to his smaller cat tree?????? dam!

Artie is favoring that leg. He is gingerly putting as least amount of weight on it as possible. and he is limping, not bending it as much, when walking..

My plan is to watch him, if he gets worse, then a definite call into Angell...

I do not mind giving him any meds, even an injection, if needed.. I can either put it in the sub-q line or do it sub-q if needed.. I am used to sticking him.. and he is so good about it..

arouetta

Slave of Bastet's acolytes
Top Cat
Purraise
If the limp came on suddenly, that points more towards injury than arthritis. Arthritis is subtle, you look at your cat walking stiffly one day or see how the back legs don't quite make it when she's jumping on the bed and you realize she's been doing it for a while, you just never actually noticed before.

I used my step stool rather than invest in pricy cat steps. But in order to work, I had to place the step stool in the same spot Shadow used to get on the bed. Trying a different spot had her ignoring it, going to her usual spot and pulling herself up by her front feet. So placement of your steps is very important.

If it is a sudden onset pain, that could explain why Artie has shied away from actually going. Moving is painful, bearing weight is painful, and to poop he's going to have to step over the edge of the litter box AND put most of his weight on his back legs. Even if you put him in, that weight distribution is going to inhibit him.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
A couple of sturdy boxes from BJs or Costco work well as temporary steps. Plus they're free and double as a cat cave :) You probably will have to glue or tape down the upper levels to the box underneath so they don't slide and shift as Artie uses them.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A couple of sturdy boxes from BJs or Costco work well as temporary steps. Plus they're free and double as a cat cave :) You probably will have to glue or tape down the upper levels to the box underneath so they don't slide and shift as Artie uses them.
*An excellent idea, and as we all know, cats prefer boxes over purpose-made cat stuff anyway!*

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
Great Idea!! I did not think they would be sturdy enough, but I think I can pick a few up at the grocery store also: Market Basket... or the liquor store.. they have them stacked up for people to take.

I could get a glue gun and try it out, and see what configuration works the best.. opening out, in, down, etc..

thanks..

zygote

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
When my cat had the mastectomy for her mammary cancer, we had to shut her in the living room and barricade the edge of the couch so she could only get on and off via the stairs we concocted with other boxes. It worked pretty well. If this is indeed an injury that will heal with rest, a temporary box solution might be the easiest/cheapest. I don't know the layout of your house...is there a way to close off rooms with jumping hazards? Do a similar barricade/stepping stool approach?

Funny enough, it seems like my cat is having the same issue as Artie. Favoring one back leg, legs buckling occasionally (especially when jumping down). The vet doesn't seem too concerned and says to bring her in if it gets worse. It isn't getting worse, but isn't getting better either. She's happy to keep jumping down from her loft even though it makes her back legs collapse on landing. CATS. We may have to consider the barricades again. On top of the cancer she's got kidney disease, and we don't want to drag her to the vet and add more drugs unless we have to. Forced rest would be preferable.

Anyway, I hope Artie feels better soon!

EDIT: I also meant to say that all kind of boxes will suffice. We had old shoe boxes of different sizes that stacked nicely to make steps. We used bigger boxes and pillows on the edge of the sofa to prevent her from going around the steps.

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise
When my cat had the mastectomy for her mammary cancer, we had to shut her in the living room and barricade the edge of the couch so she could only get on and off via the stairs we concocted with other boxes. It worked pretty well. If this is indeed an injury that will heal with rest, a temporary box solution might be the easiest/cheapest. I don't know the layout of your house...is there a way to close off rooms with jumping hazards? Do a similar barricade/stepping stool approach?

Funny enough, it seems like my cat is having the same issue as Artie. Favoring one back leg, legs buckling occasionally (especially when jumping down). The vet doesn't seem too concerned and says to bring her in if it gets worse. It isn't getting worse, but isn't getting better either. She's happy to keep jumping down from her loft even though it makes her back legs collapse on landing. CATS. We may have to consider the barricades again. On top of the cancer she's got kidney disease, and we don't want to drag her to the vet and add more drugs unless we have to. Forced rest would be preferable.

Anyway, I hope Artie feels better soon!

EDIT: I also meant to say that all kind of boxes will suffice. We had old shoe boxes of different sizes that stacked nicely to make steps. We used bigger boxes and pillows on the edge of the sofa to prevent her from going around the steps.
:grouphug::grouphug2:

Status
Not open for further replies.