Arthritis and Constipation

raintyger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I posted this in another thread, but the subject matter had digressed. Thought I might get a few more answers if the thread title was appropriate, so I apologize for anyone reading repeat information.

I just found out that Poppy has arthritis due to a trauma injury. The vet speculated that the arthritis could be causing constipation because the arthritis is in her spine, near the tail. If it's causing pain when she poops, she could be reluctant to poop.

Poppy currently takes Miralax and pumpkin for her constipation. I seem to remember NOT bulking up on fiber was a good method for injury based constipation, as sometimes the hip passage is narrower. Would this also hold true for arthritis based constipation? I am thinking maybe pumpkin is not the way to go, and she seems to prefer her food without pumpkin nowadays.

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think it would be individual, just like with humans. However, holding her feces due to pain is a real possibility! Again I'm a fan of Adequan, but whatever helps her pain is what you need to do.

Is she constipated due to her feces being too dry? Or small? Or is it completely pain related?

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would keep up with the MIralax. Pumpkin and Miralax might be too much together. :dk: You could also add in Cosequin for cats. I have heard great things from different vets about it for arthritis in cats. Worth a try. Easily mixed in with wet food as it comes in capsules. :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes: for Poppy.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

raintyger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think it would be individual, just like with humans. However, holding her feces due to pain is a real possibility! Again I'm a fan of Adequan, but whatever helps her pain is what you need to do.

Is she constipated due to her feces being too dry? Or small? Or is it completely pain related?
Well, she got constipated this past week, and I believe it was too much hairballs. She had a GI infection prior, and then diarrhea when she received antibiotics. During that time period, no hairballs came out. Normally I get tiny hairballs in her poop, say 1" or so. She is on egg yolk lecithin.

I have been keeping records of her poop (my friends make fun of me for this, but my vets love it!). Her usual output is around 8"-10", about .625" in diameter.

I don't know if she's in pain while she poops. Before I took her in for an enema, I noticed a few times where she went to the box and nothing came out or was looking at the box. She does not meow when trying. She does not move away in pain if we touch the area when the trauma was. Are there other signs that would tell me if she's in pain?

Thank you, Feralvr, for the good kitty vibes. Poor Poppy has been to the vet so many times this year, she's now nervous when I approach her.

raintyger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the Adequan reference, peaches08. I will keep that in mind. I think I'm going to try Cosequin and krill oil first since they will provide general nutrition and are hard to overdose. If that doesn't work I'll ask for a different medication than the Metacam they gave me.

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just to clarify, Adequan is not a pain med.

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
From what I'm reading an anti-inflammatory, right? So while not a pain killer that numbs nerves, it would still reduce pain.
Yes, it is anti inflammatory in that it repairs the site of damage. PSGAGs are more effective due to the low molecular weight. Feed throughs aren't completely useless mind you, but the weight is such that they don't diffuse into the joint as well.

jamiec100

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi

I posted in your other thread to tell you about Miralax but I see you already use it.  Ernie, the cat I mentioned being constipated also had arthritis in his rear legs.  I used the cosequin and miralax and they helped.

Thanks, James

raintyger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, thank you jamiec100 and peaches08. Any advice definitely helps. It looks like constipation/megacolon is another medical and dietary issue that the vets/scientists don't have a 100% clear understanding of yet.