Arthritic Cat Refusing To Eat Wet Food With Cosequin Mixed In.

vickync

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Help! My senior cat has arthritis of knees, ankles and spine and the Vet wanted her on Cosequin for her joints. I was sprinkling the Cosequin onto her premium cat food and mixing it in twice a day--(1) in a.m. and (1) in p.m. After two weeks my cat stopped eating the food with the Cosequin mixed in, would walk away from the food even if hungry. It must be causing her stomach distress since from my own experience these additives cause me to have stomach pain after being on them for awhile. Is there a buffered alternative or suggestions as to how to safely ease arthritic pain in an elderly cat without causing the animal stomach distress?

crunchie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My senior cat is also on cosequin after an ACL repair. She is also not a big wet food eater. She mostly just licks it whenever I try to feed her wet.
I'm not sure if this is available where you are but I've found that BFF (Best Feline Friends - pouches) work great for masking the cosequin and is the only wet food that I've been able to get her to eat. They are a little on the pricey side but I only need about a tablespoon at a time, so one pouch will last me a couple of days. It's in a "gravy" so she gets some it in the morning and at night and then gets her kibble the rest of the time.

bff.jpg

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
you can try pilling. I use butter on the capsule and a pill gun. followed with a syringe of water. I use dasquin. Same thing. My cat is 12lb and gets two capsules every morning.

I tried mixing it in food and NOPE she was having none of that!

Here is what I use.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
If it's a matter of upsetting her stomach, not sure if pilling would prevent that or not. I would ask your Vet if you should use something else rather than the Cosequin, or along with it. Perhaps Pepcid A/C or something :dunno:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

vickync

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Are you giving her a full capsule twice a day? How much does she weigh?
Yes, I was giving her a full capsule twice a day mixed with a premium wet food; I started out mixing it with approx. 2 T. to make sure she got all of the Cosequin and then gave her the rest of the feeding. When she stopped being willing to eat the small amount of food with the Cosequin mixed in, I gave her 1/2 can of her food with the Cosequin mixed into it; then she stopped eating that and would walk away from her food dish even though she was hungry. Several years ago when I tried these same joint supplements for arthritis in one of my knees, I developed gastric distress with it and quit taking the horse pill. She weighs 10 lbs.3 oz. I did not administer any of the Cosequin today, giving her a break from it and thought maybe I could try either 1/2 capsule sprinkled on her wet food in the a.m. and the other 1/2 in the p.m. to see if that would be acceptable to her. She had only been taking the two capsules of Cosequin for two weeks when she started refusing it. What about Duralactin Feline 200 mg. (milk protein joint supplement) instead? Anyone try it? Does it help the cat's mobility and decrease arthritic pain in the elderly cat?