Arthritic cat pooping outside of litter box

kittykisser

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My old and fat cat, Pandora, has been pooping outside the litter box. I am wondering if it's because she can't get into it. She can still jump onto the couch but I notice when she walks it's slow and methodical, and when she sits she has to try different positions because I guess it's uncomfortable. Any ideas on a type of litter box for old kitties? Maybe she just needs a ramp.

Last edited:

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Start with a litter mat, then use a shallow kitchen pan -- like one for cookies -- in the center of the mat. Some are only an inch deep. You can try different depths, they aren't that expensive. Uuse about 1 inch of litter. Yes, you'll have to sweep the litter back into the pan. But even if you're working on a carpeted space, for what spills off the mat, which will be plain litter, use a small hand broom and dust pan. Just dump it back in the pan.

1677860422953.png

Here's a page of them

Amazon.com : cookie pans

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittykisser

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Start with a litter mat, then use a shallow kitchen pan -- like one for cookies -- in the center of the mat. Some are only an inch deep. You can try different depths, they aren't that expensive. Uuse about 1 inch of litter. Yes, you'll have to sweep the litter back into the pan. But even if you're working on a carpeted space, for what spills off the mat, which will be plain litter, use a small hand broom and dust pan. Just dump it back in the pan.

View attachment 444846

Here's a page of them

Amazon.com : cookie pans
Thank you!

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It works well for kittens when they're first learning and have really short legs. One thing we did with the kitten was use wheat litter at first because it was soft. That made me think that the clay litter may roll under Pandora's steps so she slips and that might be frightening her. From people I know with arthritis fear of slipping makes them tense up which tightens the joints and hurts a lot. Falling really hurts. Wheat litter does not roll, it squashes.

I've noticed with arthritic cats and dogs they quit jumping or taking long steps and slow down a lot on stairs. I think this is fear of slipping and falling pain.

Vets now have medicine that helps cats. The cosequin and dasuquin OTC have really helped our cat who is allergic to most medications the vet has offered. We have not tried them all because for now she's good.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If Pandora still uses that same litter box for peeing, it could be the position she holds when pooping that is bothering her more than actually getting into/out of the box itself. Most cats hold a different position when peeing vs. pooping. And cats tend to blame the litter box for the discomfort they feel rather than it being from their own body.

If this were to be the case, your best bet is to try a joint supplement like those mentioned above. They can take a while before showing signs of effectiveness. Or you can go another route which is trying Adequan or Solensia. Both are injections that are given monthly to block arthritic pain - the former also contains a joint support supplement. I went this route because my cat refused to eat the above-mentioned supplements. She used to take Glyco Flex Plus chews - another joint supplement, and they also helped her, but after three years she decided she didn't like the way they tasted and stopped eating them.

kittykisser

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If Pandora still uses that same litter box for peeing, it could be the position she holds when pooping that is bothering her more than actually getting into/out of the box itself. Most cats hold a different position when peeing vs. pooping. And cats tend to blame the litter box for the discomfort they feel rather than it being from their own body.

If this were to be the case, your best bet is to try a joint supplement like those mentioned above. They can take a while before showing signs of effectiveness. Or you can go another route which is trying Adequan or Solensia. Both are injections that are given monthly to block arthritic pain - the former also contains a joint support supplement. I went this route because my cat refused to eat the above-mentioned supplements. She used to take Glyco Flex Plus chews - another joint supplement, and they also helped her, but after three years she decided she didn't like the way they tasted and stopped eating them.
Good point. She seems to pee in the box okay. Thank you.

kittykisser

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It works well for kittens when they're first learning and have really short legs. One thing we did with the kitten was use wheat litter at first because it was soft. That made me think that the clay litter may roll under Pandora's steps so she slips and that might be frightening her. From people I know with arthritis fear of slipping makes them tense up which tightens the joints and hurts a lot. Falling really hurts. Wheat litter does not roll, it squashes.

I've noticed with arthritic cats and dogs they quit jumping or taking long steps and slow down a lot on stairs. I think this is fear of slipping and falling pain.

Vets now have medicine that helps cats. The cosequin and dasuquin OTC have really helped our cat who is allergic to most medications the vet has offered. We have not tried them all because for now she's good.
Aw. I used to use corn litter but my other cat, Raya, has asthma so I switched to a clay brand because it's low dust. I am going to find a joint medication for her.