Armpit lymph nodes?

redbowlingball

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat, Skye, is currently nursing her first litter who are 8 days old today. Skye herself is 14 months old. Over the past couple of days I've been aware of small lumps in her armpit and today I had a good look at them. At first I thought maybe they were unused nipples but I now think they may be her lymph nodes.

There are two, one near each armpit. Both are about the size of a small pea, with the left one slightly bigger than the right. When I parted the fur over the left one I saw a very small, pale brown circle mark on the lump. When feeling for them they feel like small matts of hair and when I can feel them through the skin they are fairly firm and roll under my fingers.

I've called the vet who says it doesn't sound like an emergency situation and rather than cause stress for Skye and her kittens by bringing her in too soon, I should wait and see. Skye is eating, drinking, pooping, nursing, purring and generally is acting as normal as I could expect her to be having given birth just a week ago. She had some bloody discharge on the fourth and fifth day after birth and since then I've only seen the odd, tiny drop of dark brown discharge.

Yesterday I noticed a small amount of dandruff on her fur, could this be related? She's never had dandruff before. How concerned should I be about these lumps? Could she just be a bit run down from birth and breastfeeding? 

Geoffrey

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
They look like nipples    Certainly they do not have the appearance of lymph nodes.  I also doubt very much that dandruff has anything to do with this.   -  but if you have any doubt then take her to your Vet.

With best wishes,

Geoffrey

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Those look like nipples to me, too.

(Good name for your cat! I love the Isle of Skye)