ARGHH! Preventative measures for fungus?

mrfairy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat has been prone to getting fungal infections over the years-- she just suffered one earlier this April and now she has fallen victim to this annoying condition once again!!!!

Other than the typical treatments like antifungal medication, shampoos and creams which are administered once diagnosed, are there any other preventative means to ensure this is kept at bay once healed?

I was thinking bathing her twice or once a week with antifungal shampoo as a routine might help, but I'm wondering if there are other effective implementations.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mrfairy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh yea, forgot to mention I have two other cats who are entirely unaffected. Somehow they don't catch it (from her or from wherever she might have gotten it)

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Many times, when fungal infections are reoccurring, it points to an underlying condition the cat has. Such as allergies, poor immune systems, some kind of illness/condition. Especially where the other family cats do not come down with it too. You might want to check into immune building supplements and try them, such as DMG, or LifeGold for cats, sold on Amazon and pet med sites. It couldn't hurt and may make a big difference. They seem somewhat expensive, but I have found they last for months, so not bad. Do some research and see what might work best.
Otherwise, an oral medication may be indicated since your girl may be harboring the fungus internally, in the digestive tract, bone marrow, internal organs, etc. The med is usually given for several weeks to months. I get my meds in a liquid form and give them mixed in Hartz Lickable Treats in the stew. I have never had a cat refuse it. available online(and in-store) at Walmart, Target, etc. I would try building up the immune system first. Keep her inside so she will not come in contact with any cool, damp earth, and make sure there are no such places inside, like in a basement.
I feel for you, these types of infections are very frustrating, all the luck!