Are You Sure It's Asthma? Baking Soda Maybe The Culprit!

Problem with Cat Hacking?

• Baking Soda maybe the Culprit

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Your Cat May Not Be Suffering from Asthma. Baking Soda maybe the problem

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

investgold

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I heard that baking soda helps to prevent smell in cat's litter box so I started using it. it took about 2-3 weeks all of a sudden my marble bengal (name Aston) started hacking. Oh no, I said don't tell me he's got asthma. He was hacking everyday and then I thought, let me trace back what did I do recently that I changed... then, I remember the baking soda! So, I immediately washed and changed the litter and STOPPED the baking soda all together. My cat was still hacking for about a week but not that bad and then gradually the hacking stopped all together.

Everyone listen up! Do NOT use baking soda in the litter box. Your cat will start hacking and then you will think cat have asthma. Always trace back what you did different if your cat starts having issues. That is most likely the issue. I use Dr. Elsey's Cat litter because it has 99% NO dust. I have 3 cats and believe me, I used all kinds of different products over the years. Recently the oldest one just passed away (16 yrs old) and another one 14 yrs. I still have one that is alive also 14 yrs old. Please take it from me who had many years of raising beautiful loving cats. And I am deeply grieving over my two seniors that just passed away. I hope this post will also help you.

Attachments

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Thank you for posting your experience. Although many cats have no issue with baking soda in their litter boxes, some certainly do, and it is often the LAST thing that a frantic owner thinks of. This bit of advice may potentially save someone a world of worry and potentially thousands of dollars in vet bills!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

investgold

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for posting your experience. Although many cats have no issue with baking soda in their litter boxes, some certainly do, and it is often the LAST thing that a frantic owner thinks of. This bit of advice may potentially save someone a world of worry and potentially thousands of dollars in vet bills!
Thank you for reading my post Mamany1953. My suggestion is to avoid it baking soda all together because it may take a month or two or more before one realizes it's asthma when in fact it is really that white fine miniature powder of baking soda that have accumulated in the feline's lung that is the problem :--))

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a cat that has mild asthma. So i have to be very careful with the litter i use. I use litter maid walnut litter, and a grass litter. I have always avoided the baking soda for his sake. And i cant use a clay litter with him, even the most dust free and he is hacking within a few days. Thank you for the heads up, as some may not be aware that for some cats it can be a bad thing.