Are You Supposed To Let Your Cats Outside?

Roxy and Siam

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If so, sorry, No. I won't. There are too many threats, too many other cats where I live, too many hawks and eagles and other birds of prey.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Generally speaking, in the US it's more accepted to keep cats indoors. Many shelters and most breeders will not adopt to you unless you keep the cat indoor only, vets encourage indoors, etc. In some places in Europe, the reverse is true. So the prevailing attitude is a cultural matter.

For you, personally, do what's best for your cat and you.

Merlin77

Warrior of SandClan
Super Cat
Purraise
It depends on the environment, really. We never let Snake out unsupervised when she stays at our house in the city, but when she stays at our cabin which is basically a huge wilderness with one road where the cats know not to go, we let her out and she roams to her hearts content.

I think most cats enjoy the outdoors, and most cats are born survivors and can deal with cars, predators, but of course that is a gamble and it's up to the owner whether to let their cat out or not.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
If so, sorry, No. I won't. There are too many threats, too many other cats where I live, too many hawks and eagles and other birds of prey.
I agree with you about the dangers of letting cats outdoors. I live in the US, where most everyone keeps their cats indoors, for all the reasons you mentioned. Here, the life expectancy for a free-roaming cat is only four years, in contrast to 15-20 for an indoor cat.

entlaufene

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat's been indoor/outdoor on and off in her lifetime. In one house where I had a nice yard, she'd mostly sit on the roof and try to eat birds. When I moved and kept her in a little one bedroom apartment, she started stress pulling out her hair, I think because there was a bird's nest right outside the window and not only could she not stalk the noisy chicks, she had to watch another cat stalking the chicks. A couple moves later, and she finally stopped the over grooming bald spot stuff when I moved to a place with a big backyard that I'd let her out in a few times a week. (Never at night, and never when I wasn't home. She's black, so she'd be too hard to see in the street at night.) But then she had to live in a small third floor apartment with no outside access but a tiny balcony and was fine with that. She had a nice window seat to watch the street from. My ideal living scenario would be a place with a large balcony and plants she could play in, you could catproof a balcony a lot easier than a yard but still have enough nature to keep a cat occupied and interested in life.

I've had cats get hit by cars and murdered by the neighbors' dogs (and some friends had a cat eaten by coyotes) so I am really pro keeping cats indoors unless you have a controlled, safe environment for them.

basschick

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
i don't let any cat go outside anymore. decades ago my father's cat was killed by a car that actually went after him to hit him deliberately. my mom's cat was killed by a bulldozer or something on a construction site. one of my cats was poisoned, another got a prolapsed rectum from drinking filthy water outdoors (or at least so said our vet). the list goes on, but for over 30 years all our cats have stayed indoors and they've lived longer and have less injuries and issues.

TAndy15

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I feel it’s up to the owner and what they feel is best for their cat. I’m absolutely neither against or for it. I can only share my experience. We just had our 18 year old cat, pass away in our home, naturally, recently. She died from...just old age. If it was something else, I wouldn’t have known as she was healthy in every way that was natural. We had her since she was 8 weeks old, and up until she was 16....she was always an indoor/outdoor cat. She loved being outside, but always came inside at night. Usually. If she did get left out, it was because she didn’t want in and she had a safe place in our backyard to sleep until morning. Or whenever she showed back up. We live in the city, but it’s not big city necessarily. Nice neighborhood, big yards, lots of trees. We lived in 3 different houses (all within 5 miles of each other) over the 18 years. She adapted easily to each one and never ran away. Did she wander? Yes. But always came home. I feel, for her, she loved the outdoors and I couldn’t keep her from it. She wouldn’t have gone crazy if we tried to keep her in, but I just didn’t force her to. She literally only went to the vet twice, her entire 18 years. I did her initial shots, and rabies shots a couple times...before I just thought “she’s a city cat. No major rabie outbreak ever has been documented. We had many cats growing up as we lived in the country, never took them to vets and they all were always healthy eating regular cat chow and never died from being sick or anything despite they ate moles, birds...whatever. I think my city cat that is not exposed to half the elements is going to be fine.” And she was. Never got sick. And I’ve seen that cat catch and eat entire mice. Got into a couple of cat fights, but came out unharmed and generally just learned that she liked staying closer to home. She lived to be 18. This May have just been our experience and not necessarily something everyone would experience, if they let their cat outside. And I understand that. Just sharing that, yes, even city cats can be just fine and live happy healthy LONG lives, outside. But again, she was indoor outdoor. Most of her life only coming in during the evenings or bad weather. When she was about 16, her age started to show and she quit going outside. She was at that point, almost completely indoor. She’d go out every now and then, but not for long. The last year of her life, she was completely indoor. Didn’t groom herself as much at all, so we helped by brushing her gently. She adapted to litter box very easily. No troubles at all as we always had one, she just rarely used it. But she aged, just like a human. Less ability to care for herself, needed some assistance with that, but mostly slept, ate, and pooped...and just a total cuddle bug. I know she had a happy life and was a happy cat. We have 4 children who all loved her immensely and she has been missed every day since her passing. She was special and wonderful and everything I could have ever wanted in a at. I hope this helps shed some light that an outdoor cat can be a happy and safe cat and live a long life too...but again, to each their own and discression. ❤

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
No. I won't
First, Hello and welcome to both Roxy and Siam, and to TAndy15!!
I'm sorry to hear about your cat's passing TAndy15.

My Big Guy is let outside and is supervised the entire time he's out. He has an absolute ball, and his mental faculties are the better for it as is his physical condition.

However, for those cats that are left to roam I have a couple thoughts;
I live in Denver Colorado, US. In case people aren't familiar we've grown W-A-Y beyond our old small cow town status, and yet we have verified rabid skunks being discovered literally all over the place (not just on the outer edges but pretty much everywhere). In addition, I saw a raccoon walking along the top of our 6 foot high fenceline about a week ago and coyotes are being seen here and there constantly.
The wildlife is in towns and cities, no doubt about it.

If a cat sees a squirrel, another cat it isn't happy about and wants to fight, or a bird, it will chase it whether it's across a dangerous road, over a 6 ft fence, or whatever.

And, yesterday I just read a completely heartbreaking story from @Ejordyn that bothered me so much and threw me for such a loop that I actually couldn't think of how to offer my condolences, which is totally out of character. I really feel rather rotten about that today.
Some guy kicked my Mother’s Norwegian Forrest cat and broke its neck and killed it so I’m trying to find another cat with long hair and relatively large in size. She’s devastated so I’m trying my hardest to look like her old cat. The picture is of her old cat.

Attached Files:

• a" data-thumb-height="100">

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We live in small town USA :) we are right in town, such as it is :) so i keep my guys in. However most in this area, and that i have known my whole life have indoor/outdoor cats. Maybe more outdoor than in. I think a lot depends on where you live. In rural areas i think outdoor is more common.

I have mixed feelings, in town like we are cars are a problem ,that really scares me, so mine stay in. But there are cats in my neighborhood that have been out there 10, 15 years. I think indoor cats have less risks, but may not be quite as happy or satisfied as those that can come in and out as the want. I guess each pet parent has to judge their area, and weigh the risks.

I dont even know what to say about the guy that kicked and killed the cat. Dont even. ... However i will say i worry more about people intentionally harming my cats, than i do about Raccoons, Dogs, Foxes or Coyotes, bear, or any other wildlife.. we have them all here, and if a cat is old or injured yes they might take him. But they are doing it for food and survival, not to be cruel and evil like some people.

Last edited:

mightyboosh

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
And, yesterday I just read a completely heartbreaking story from @Ejordyn that bothered me so much and threw me for such a loop that I actually couldn't think of how to offer my condolences, which is totally out of character. I really feel rather rotten about that today.
Some guy kicked my Mother’s Norwegian Forrest cat and broke its neck and killed it so I’m trying to find another cat with long hair and relatively large in size. She’s devastated so I’m trying my hardest to look like her old cat. The picture is of her old cat.
Yes, I thought the same as you with that one, I also didn't say anything. I'd like to get hold of that evil swine.
I started a thread some time ago asking why some people hate cats so much.

Edit: In the UK it seems the norm to let them out and it's not frowned upon usually. Oliver and Chubchub are strictly indoors but Betty's past (rescued by me) means I just can't keep her in all the time

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think it depends on where you live, both environmentally and culturally. Personally I don't let my cats outside because I am also too afraid of the dangers, but I also live by a busy street and an area with lots of coyotes and other wild animals. But I always make sure they have access to fresh air (leaving a secured window open and/or taking for harness walks).

Honestly, I also feel like if anyone were to find my cat outside they would steal her, especially since she's a lynx point.

I don't necessarily think it's "right" or "wrong" to keep cats indoors or outdoors, it's just a decision that you need to make based on what's right for you and your cat. There are many countries in the world where keeping a cat indoors or even as a "pet" is a foreign concept. I know in many countries in the Middle East and Africa people just leave out food scraps (cooked and raw) and water/milk for cats on their porches and no one really "owns" a cat but they come and go as they please. And I understand both sides -- on one hand, you want your cat to live a full life but on the other hand you also want them to live a long life. :dunno:

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise
There are risks to every environment, even indoors (plants, wires, string, chemicals, food, etc.,). So it becomes an evaluation of the risks. I don't let my cats out because I feel that I can control the risks in my house better than outdoors.

When we first moved to our neighborhood, there were way too many big high prey drive dogs in the yards. Also, we have a school nearby, and I just don't trust that many kids around. The last factor in my decision was the fact that our cats are Ocicats, a spotted cat that just might be a little too tempting for someone to kidnap (even with "good intentions").

We did allow our angel kitty Belle outside for potty breaks, but she was older and less inclined to wander very far from the back patio. In fact, she would often just walk out to the dirt, do her thing, and come right back begging to be let in again. Even on a nice morning with the birds out and about, she would just sit in one of the patio chairs and serenely survey her little backyard kingdom.... but as soon as she heard the door, she would jump down from her throne and come inside.

So, again, it's a question of the environment and the cats personality and ability to navigate the environment. And it's a question of what the human owner is comfortable with, considering all the risk factors.

TAndy15

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I agree...to each their own and own accessment. Cats who live inside their whole lives can and do live happily and healthy, as well as cats who live outside. Each cat and family has their own environment to consider and risks to weigh. Do what’s right for you and your cat. What worked for us, may not for everyone. While in the city, with cars and squirrels, birds, possums and raccoons, and humans all around...I guess we just knew our cat, her personality, and felt she was fine going outside. And for 18 years, that worked for her. But again, that’s just our situation.
I just don’t like when people judge and say “this is right, and this is wrong, and you’re not a good cat parent if you don’t believe as I do.”
Regardless Facts or studies, etc...cats can live outside and/or inside and be happy and healthy. And, safe. Either has been proven just with individual stories. The bottom line is...a cat needs love, affection, food, water, shelter and care. And I think everyone who owns one does and provides just that. And loves their cat immesely and would never intentionally put them in harms way. Sometimes things happen despite our best efforts. And that’s all there is to it.
When our cat passed, I wasn’t sure if ever get a cat again. Thinking no cat will ever be as good as the one we had. But...that’s silly. No cat will be the exact same, but to not have one, would just be short changing ourselves of the joy our cat brought us for 18 years. She was here for a purpose...to give love, share love, teach us patience, gentleness, care of others, and to love beyond ourselves. And another cat, someday...will do just the same but will be a different personality. And maybe for that cat, at that time...we keep her in. Who knows. We’ll have to access our environment and the cat, at that time and go with what we think is best.

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, I thought the same as you with that one, I also didn't say anything. I'd like to get hold of that evil swine.
I started a thread some time ago asking why some people hate cats so much.

Edit: In the UK it seems the norm to let them out and it's not frowned upon usually. Oliver and Chubchub are strictly indoors but Betty's past (rescued by me) means I just can't keep her in all the time
It's frowned upon to let them out by a lot of us in the UK now actually, and most breeders (ethical breeders at least, "kitten farms" will not care one way or the other) will not let their kittens go to people who think they ought to go outside.

The attitude of some rescue places needs to change though - I tried to get a cat from a rescue first but was told that I wasn't suitable as I was only offering indoor home. Hence I ended up with 1 crossbreed from a private ad online, and 2 pedigree cats from a good breeder. I'd have had a rescue cat in the first place if I'd have been allowed.

It all worked out ok for me, I have 3 lovely happy cats. Sad for the cats staying in rescue places though, when a perfectly good home without a cat flap could be theirs.

cheesycats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
When you see the gruesome things I’ve seen (partially torn off limbs, half eaten cats, and smushed and bloated in the road cats, among others, city and non city) the answer becomes quite clear that no cats should be outside. They are pets. It sucks even to see a ran over squirrel for me but unfortunelty that’s nature and nothing can be done about it but I’ll be damned if I ever see one of my own in that situation. Cats aren’t native species to anywhere but select parts of Africa. It’s not natural to let them outside and it’s more likely then not an early death sentence. I just will never partake in it or advocate for it. I’ve seen too many things that are truly disturbing and I don’t want to see it anymore but I still drive by the occasional maggot covered corpse on the side of the road. That’s too much for me and it’s not even my cat.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
I love cats. I mean I LOVE cats. I’ve had two or three cats continuously since 1974 (since long before I was born :rolleyes:). I inherited my love of cats from my father who, when he lay dying in a care facility, wanted above all else to see his beloved Emily. My cats have always been indoor-only for all of the reasons folks mention above: busy streets, dogs, coyotes, disease, pure evil masquerading as human beings, etc.

While I’m a huge proponent of indoor only, I actually don’t have a problem with cats going outside under the right circumstances. My problem is with cats being left outdoors to roam. They go into other people’s yards...okay, MY yard...and hunt the birds I’ve lured in with feeders and cause my cats to go ballistic with rage when the roamer—in this case a darling tuxedo—challenges them through the windows. I also can’t stand to look when this little cat saunters across the street in front of my house. I’m terrified that I’m going to find her killed in the road or worse yet, see it happen in front of me. I stopped the car years ago late at night to try to catch a little dog running around the street when some evil...thing...raced by, hit the dog so hard it flew onto the sidewalk, and drove off. This pure evil saw me and saw the dog. We were in the road under a street light. This is not an experience I ever want to have again with any animal.

I never pet little tuxedo kitty although I’d love to. I go out and tell her to scram. I already have one kitty with litter box issues. Seeing other cats in her territory, even through the window, could make it worse...and cause problems for my other two as well. It happened to a friend of mine with her cat. He was so territorial that he developed terrible behavioral issues as a result of seeing other cats in his yard. The outcome was heartrending.