Are You Good With Keeping Records Of Things And Filing?

FflurCadwgawn

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm awful at it. For work, however, since starting my own business I've had to get better. I started bullet journaling and spreadsheeting to keep track of my work logs and time cards. I have a whole spreadsheet for expenses, earnings, and shared services.

Filing........nope. Oops. :ruminating:

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
I keep records electronically and am a bit of a fanatic about it. :paperbag: I scan receipts, legal documents, copies of passports, PDFs of tax returns, all that stuff and store it online with Dropbox. I created different folders for medical, legal, etc. to keep it organized.

The originals of the legal documents go in our safe. Things that don't need to be saved after they're scanned, like receipts, get shredded. I have very few paper files any more.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I used to be at work. I worked in a field where it was important to document EVERYTHING. At home I'm not so disciplined. DH keeps the bills and spending well organized though.

Mother Dragon

Cat slave
Top Cat
Purraise
Organized? Isn't that a form of crime? Even with my husband's OCD, everything is in hodgepodge piles. He shreds a lot of the unnecessary receipts - and too many of the needed ones, too. Eventually he gets sick of the mess and files a bunch of it. He just doesn't get rid of the old stuff. He has bank records back to 1985!

When I worked, I had piles all over my desk. Strangely, I knew what was in each one and could find things fairly easily. I hated to file, though, and would only do it about quarterly. Once when I was on vacation my coworkers decided to clean up my desk. They went through my piles and tossed what they thought I didn't need and sorted the rest their way. When I came back I couldn't find anything and let them now it for quite a while. They never did it again.

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yes, I am good with the records, not too good with filing. I have every tax return we ever filed and receipts for anything we might need. I just can't stay caught up with filing it all. One thing I have learned is open the mail and discard all junk stuff right then. Don't ever lay it on the table or desk.

LadyButterfly

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm honestly not good at either. I can be pretty scatterbrained and I forget to keep the important things and filing things just doesn't happen here.