Are white cats susceptible to health problems?

lea98

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello everyone, someone told me the other day that white cats are susceptible to more health problems than other cats.

Is this true? And what health issues are they prone to?

Here is my fur baby, Amira. She's been with me now for three months and the only issue she had was a minor ear infection but it only lasted two weeks before she was back to normal. The month before that she was recovering from a spay but I don't consider that a health issue at all. Even then she healed rather fast. Here is a picture of her. Her belly is still a little bald from surgery, it's slowly growing back. Forgive my blankets also, we had just woken up. [emoji]128514[/emoji][emoji]128518[/emoji]

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Some white animals are more prone to health problems, but this doesn't seem to apply to cats. The main thing you'd have to worry about would be sunburn/skin cancer on her ears and nose, if she sits in the sun too much. White kitties don't have any dark fur to protect their skin in those areas There are kitty sunscreen products available, if she does like sunbathing.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

lea98

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Some white animals are more prone to health problems, but this doesn't seem to apply to cats. The main thing you'd have to worry about would be sunburn/skin cancer on her ears and nose, if she sits in the sun too much. White kitties don't have any dark fur to protect their skin in those areas There are kitty sunscreen products available, if she does like sunbathing.
She does like sun bathing quite a bit but I make sure to leave the curtains down. It allows moderate light to come through but not all of it. Idk if that helps too much but I only open the blinds in the morning. Once it's 12pm I close them because the sun gets way too bright and I have light sensitivity myself. I sure will look into that kitty sunscreen though. Thanks for the tip! [emoji]128522[/emoji]

lea98

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Short answer, no.

White cats are no more prone to illness than any other cat. However, an albino cat may be more prone to medicial problems such as light sensitivity and skin conditions from a lack of pigment (just like humans). Most white cats though are not albino and even being blue eyed and white fur does not mean a cat is a true albino.
I don't think she's an albino lol, she likes the sun too much to be one. She was strictly talking about white cats. I know those are two different types of categories. The lady was talking about deafness being prone to white cats. Is that a rumor?

Primula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have a white outdoor cat. He has one green & one blue eye & is deaf in one ear. He absolutely loves to sunbathe. He has a skin infection on top of his ears, but husband pooh poohed me when I said it could be skin cancer. I think it is because it is constantly red & bloody. Can't tell my husband anything though. :(

Last edited:

lea98

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Primula Primula

I had heard that white cats with different colored eyes or two blue eyes are prone to deafness. Thankfully Amira has two golden eyes but the left has a splash of blue. It's sad that such beautiful animals have to go through that.

Last edited: