Are We Siamese?

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I live in Semarang, Central Java, Indonesia. It's in the same country as Bali
Ah, yes, that probably explains it. The street cats in that area tend to favor the Oriental-type purebred cats in the US, and Indonesia is close to where the pointed gene originally developed. Tropical street cats tend toward the slim, smooth-coated, long-faced variety. So they can look like purebred Oriental breeds even without having any pedigreed background. But after all, how more "purebred" can you get than the original product? ;)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

medinazahra7

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
M medinazahra7 - I think three things:

1.) Yes, the coat colour will darken; the cb and cs alleles are both linked to temperature-sensitive albinism.

2.) Furballsmom Furballsmom is absolutely right - your English is extremely good!

3.) Muiza is one of the most beautiful kitties I've ever seen, and I have a Snowshoe:

View attachment 215786

As far as guessing the black and white Parent - StefanZ StefanZ did all the hard work, working out the Burmese coat colouration and then backtracking the Parentage to Tonkinese to account for blue eyes rather than greenish-aqua - and he was the one who originally proposed either a black or black and white maternal Parent. Knowing that there's no epistatic (dominant) white between Siamese and Burmese, left the white inheritance as the only unsolved piece of the puzzle. He did all the genetics work.

Moo Shu - my Snowshoe - says that Muiza can come and visit her any time!

Welcome to TCS, medinazahra; I hope you'll stay around this little community; I'd love to see more photos of Muiza - and I'll bet that a great many other members would as well.

Moo Shu soooo pretty :bouquet:
Muiza (Moo-ee-za) would be very pleased to meet her.

Yes, my big thank to StefanZ StefanZ :goldstar: From his post, I learn about Tonkinese for the first time, ever, hehe. His information was so detailed (even tracking and guessing correctly the colour of the momma), and looking by what you 1CatOverTheLine 1CatOverTheLine and StefanZ StefanZ wrote, I know that both of you are very well-informed about cats :loveeyes:

Knowing that this community has many experts, I definitely will stay around (as my knowledge about cats is so minimum).:thanks::redheartpump:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

medinazahra7

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ah, yes, that probably explains it. The street cats in that area tend to favor the Oriental-type purebred cats in the US, and Indonesia is close to where the pointed gene originally developed. Tropical street cats tend toward the slim, smooth-coated, long-faced variety. So they can look like purebred Oriental breeds even without having any pedigreed background. But after all, how more "purebred" can you get than the original product? ;)

Yes, you're right ;)
In my neighbourhood, even the domestic cats are all having traits as you mentioned; slim, smooth-coated, long faced. But those Oriental-type are not popular here. The popular type usually the long-haired varieties, like Persia or Himalaya; while the short-haired type (smooth-coated) considered "not as pretty" as the long-haired :blush:

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
*If there's anyone who asks; they came to me as stray cats when they're about one month old. They came to my house for food, then the next thing, they become part of my life, my family's life :blush:
Furballsmom Furballsmom yes, they're siblings littermates. ..., and how you guessed the momma's colour: you're right! it's non pointed, black and white tuxedo bi-colour

[/USER]
So they did come together with momma? is the momma too with you?

Were there any more siblings as you know?

This fallout in our case, both kittens becoming pointed, is fully possible, but statistically not the common.

The theory predicts here 2 pointed kittens, and two non pointed carriers...
The statistics arent ironclad, taken from 1000 cases its very reliable, but so so reliable in individual examples and thus variations may occur and do occur.

Of course, its fully possible the non points didnt made it long enough to come to you to get food and protection from loving humans.
The death ratio for homeless kittens is often high.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the mention. M medinazahra7 mentioned getting darker. Compare Link in the photo above to Link recently.

View attachment 215813
Kieka Kieka - You already know how I feel about Link, but as Furballsmom Furballsmom said earlier - "wow!" He really is breathtaking, you know. I think the same of Rocket and Moo Shu, of course - and they actually do grow more beautiful as they mature - but they're still... well... you know what they are.

;)

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
- You already know how I feel about Link, but as Furballsmom Furballsmom said earlier - "wow!" He really is breathtaking, you know. I think the same of Rocket and Moo Shu, of course - and they actually do grow more beautiful as they mature - but they're still... well... you know what they are.

;)
Rockets changed too but not as noticably...

IMG_20180122_205428_391.jpg

They are ever changing and ever stunning. I am partial to Moo Shu but that may be that she doesn't open my doors or wake me up at 3am to feed her.

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Rockets changed too but not as noticably...

View attachment 215848

They are ever changing and ever stunning. I am partial to Moo Shu but that may be that she doesn't open my doors or wake me up at 3am to feed her.

Kieka Kieka - I'm partial to both Link and Rocket, but Rocket's absolutely perfect inverted-v facial markings are utterly fabulous. From a judge's standpoint, this little girl meets the Breed Standard for Snowshoes almost perfectly. The best thing about Link and Rocket, however, is that they're your headaches and not mine!

;)

M medinazahra7 - We often kid about Snowshoes being evil. They're really not - they're just overly intelligent, overly curious, and natural problem-solvers. They open doors, cabinets, and almost any latch eventually; they're obsessed with learning how things work, and will flip light switches, turn on appliances (I now have to unplug the toaster over after I use it, because Moo Shu knows how to press the 'start' bar), push things off shelves, and basically make nuisances of themselves - and they'll tell you exactly what they want.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
One remark from me. Im fond of modelling points very dark on the whole body as a combo of siamese and burmese point gene, á la Tonkinese. This is an important observation, nicely explaining many of obscure and atypical points. So to speak. This combo, not very common, but more common than one thinks, once you become aware this exists.

BUT.

As examples here shows, among them Kieka Kieka snowshoe-lookalikes, it seems a combo of seal point and white may also tend sometimes to give a point whom is unusually dark over whole body and darkens up early already as kitten.
Why, I dont know, but it seems to be so, based on empirical evidence.
Such Seal and white points, may also easily have bright blue eyes.

So, to sum it up.

Im not longer sure M medinazahra7 the TS, "Red" Muiza, is a Tonkinese with white - look alike. Because he has good blue eyes. I have in part changed my mind, I now think its more probable he is a normal doubled siamese point. Seal point and white, which may give this Snowshoe-Kieka effect - a very dark point and white, with very blue eyes....

I try to teach out, and Im learning myself new things and ideas too. :)