Are they getting enough fat?

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's a general question. Are there signs, if there is not enough fat in a raw fed cat's diet? What are they?

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
For Ritz, it's when she keeps on bugging me (more than usual) for food.  I use to feed her chicken breast (99% fat free) for one day, but she was starvin marvin all day.  Now, I mix low fat (chicken breast, rabbit sometimes) with mid fat (pork, turkey, beef) in the same day.

Also, I believe her coat will not be as shiny.  Decrease energy. Stools can be harder.

And, usually obvious but not always with a long hair cat:  weight loss.

vball91

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hmm, good question. I do agree with Ritz that hunger would probably be a sign since protein and fat help cats feel more satiated. I would think that not enough fat over a longer period of time would manifest in dry skin and fur. Possibly trouble keeping warm, so heat seeking. Over a really long term, probably there would be neurological symptoms from not enough essential fatty acids.

I know your question is general, but it would be very difficult to be not feeding enough fat in a high quality canned and raw diet as you're feeding. Maybe if one were only feeding chicken breast or wild rabbit...

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
mschauer analyzed the diet I feed my cats. I use no skin, so everything was based on just the muscle meat.

The LA min % (AAFCO) is 0.5%; the diet I feed, even though relatively low fat for raw, is 2.44%.
The AA min is 0.02% (AAFCO); the diet I feed is 0.828%.

If you're buying cornish hens, feeding them some of the skin would certainly bump up the fat, if you're worried.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the replies.

The LA min % (AAFCO) is 0.5%; the diet I feed, even though relatively low fat for raw, is 2.44%.
The AA min is 0.02% (AAFCO); the diet I feed is 0.828%.
Laurie I don't know what LA and AA mean?

I'm not worried, really, it just crossed my mind as I was cutting up chicken breast yesterday, so I thought I'd start a discussion. Very little fat was attached to it, but the thighs they get, both chicken and turkey have quite a bit of fat (plus I put little slivers of skin in with the portions) as does the beef Jennie and Queen Eva eat, and the Rad Cat lamb Queen Eva eats. I do use a little of the skin when cutting up a Cornish hen, too.

Jennie is manic over food always, so that wouldn't be able to tell me if she was fat deprived, but she is glowing with good health so I don't think she is ANYthing deprived, though she would tell you different.

If Jennie got as much food as she thinks she needs she'd be bigger than Mickey was when he first came to mshauer's house. It's a struggle to keep her at 9 lbs 8 ounces which is a healthy weight for her.

Last edited:

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh, those are just addressing the issue of what they need part.

AA is Arachidonic acid

LA is Linoleic acid

They are omega 6 fatty acids, and while essential for people and most mammals, cats have a higher requirement for them in their diet.

If you want a quick read on fatty acids in cats, this is a great overview:

http://www.chiro.org/nutrition/FULL/The_Essential_PUFA_Guide.shtml