Are These Ear Mites?

Benjamin Franklin (Benji)

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I don't know. It might just be ear wax. Either way a good home remedy is grapeseed oil on a cosmetic puff to gently clean out the ears.
Benji does have a little bit of that too! The vet agreed when I showed him pictures of Benji’s ear that it was fine. It does look quite a lot like the picture of Benji’s ear, but I’m not very good at giving advice and then again I don’t have a definite idea :p

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mango the Maine Coon

Big Kitten
Adult Cat
Purraise
Benji does have a little bit of that too! The vet agreed when I showed him pictures of Benji’s ear that it was fine. It does look quite a lot like the picture of Benji’s ear, but I’m not very good at giving advice and then again I don’t have a definite idea :p
It doesn’t look like any of the pictures online when I search feline ear mites, but it might just be photos of extreme cases

Benjamin Franklin (Benji)

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

A while back another TCS member asked whether their case was ear mites or wax, the photo of her/his cat is above. The people who replied concluded it was wax. Maybe this is of a little help.

Mango the Maine Coon

Big Kitten
Adult Cat
Purraise
I don't know. It might just be ear wax. Either way a good home remedy is grapeseed oil on a cosmetic puff to gently clean out the ears.
Does it need to be any specific type of grapeseed oil or can I go to the store and grab any of them? I’m assuming just a couple drops on a cotton ball is sufficient? Thank you I’m about to go to the store

surya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Does it need to be any specific type of grapeseed oil or can I go to the store and grab any of them? I’m assuming just a couple drops on a cotton ball is sufficient? Thank you I’m about to go to the store
I use this 100 percent pure kind, brand name Now Solutions. You can also use it on your skin. Yes, just a few drops on a cotton ball will work. If their ears are really dirty, I repeat until I get the gunk out. I should find the source of my information, but I don't remember where I got it. I found it online, I think it was a holistic vet that recommended it. I do know essential oils should never be used on cats.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i have had cats with ear mites, i could not see them, but there was black looking gunk or dirty look inside ears. Im the wary wart of the bunch here :) If i have concerns i schedule a vet visit. :) Has he had his yearly check up recently?

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There is a lot of quackery online, so you do have to be careful. I found this vet who recommended Olive oil. It does kind of look like ear wax to me. I asked the vet what causes ear wax and he told me it is yeast. He didn't elaborate, but I guess it is just something they get sometimes.

Natural Solutions for Ear Mites in Dogs and Cats
if it is yeast i would have a vet visit. cats do get yeast infections in their ears, one of mine did, the vet gave me some drops that we used for a week or two, cant remember, cleared it right up.

cheesycats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Pretty sure that’s just a coloration. Like black gums or spits on the tongue. All my cats have had this in their ears. I wouldn’t be concerned. Especially if he doesn’t seem bothered. I had a cat when I was little with ear mites. This black sludge like stuff would fly out of his ears when he shook his head (which was constantly) and he would scratch to the point of bleeding sometimes. If you’re not noticing this and if he stays inside I wouldn’t worry.

surya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sure it's always safer to go to the vet. But for those of us with limited funds, we have to use our best judgement. It does not look infected to me, but I can not see the inside of the ear. It looks like a little ear wax.

Mango the Maine Coon

Big Kitten
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sure it's always safer to go to the vet. But for those of us with limited funds, we have to use our best judgement. It does not look infected to me, but I can not see the inside of the ear. It looks like a little ear wax.
I really appreciate you considering funds I know people will look down on me for this but sometimes it’s ok to try some things at home when it’s not an urgent medical issue.

Mango the Maine Coon

Big Kitten
Adult Cat
Purraise
I got this product at the store to see if it helps him. He was pawing at his ear today so if this doesn’t work we’ll go to the vet
2C679B10-C1B0-4B78-A582-3DE5FAD03FF4.jpeg
it even has a little Maine coon on the bottle :gingercat2:

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When Demi had ear mites, it looked like coffee grounds deep in the ear canal.

Mango the Maine Coon

Big Kitten
Adult Cat
Purraise
I hope it works. Let us know. :)
I don’t like restraining him cause I don’t want him to resent me so my first attempt was pitiful. He shook the solution out of his ears almost immediately and then when I went in with a cotton ball to clean wax I was too afraid of damaging his delicate little ears so I wasn’t able to “scrub” effectively. Will try again in a little bit :(