Are these black worms?

Natalusky29

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi, about an hour ago I was cleaning my cats’ water fountain and found a lot of black little things, I didn’t give it any importance since I though it was just dirty particles. Later, while I was in the kitchen cleaning the upper part of the fountain I did notice that “it” were in fact Worms.

They’ve been drinking from it since last week, I don’t usually check on the fountain since it doesn’t work very well and the flow vary when it’s touched.

Also they’ve got two more water bowls which I clean and refill twice per day without any of these worms.

What are these worms called?
Are they dangerous for my cats?
I’m calling the vet tomorrow but I would like to have some feedback.

Attachments

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
They look like silverfish to me and are not considered poisonous. They can be drawn to water and/or damp places, among other things. So, just make sure you keep the fountain clean - as you do with other water dishes - or otherwise get rid of it. Look around your home for them in other places as well, as they can get into food too. I have seen them in my home from time to time, but not enough for me to panic over it. I have never seen them near Feeby's food or water dishes, but they are cleaned daily. I have been more inclined to find them in a cardboard box that hasn't been moved for a long time.

Here are some links to data on them, just so you can do a comparison to see if these things you found are the same insect.
Silverfish: What They Are, How to Get Rid of Them, and More (webmd.com)
Are Silverfish Harmful to Cats? (animalpath.org)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Natalusky29

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
They look like silverfish to me and are not considered poisonous. They can be drawn to water and/or damp places, among other things. So, just make sure you keep the fountain clean - as you do with other water dishes - or otherwise get rid of it. Look around your home for them in other places as well, as they can get into food too. I have seen them in my home from time to time, but not enough for me to panic over it. I have never seen them near Feeby's food or water dishes, but they are cleaned daily. I have been more inclined to find them in a cardboard box that hasn't been moved for a long time.

Here are some links to data on them, just so you can do a comparison to see if these things you found are the same insect.
Silverfish: What They Are, How to Get Rid of Them, and More (webmd.com)
Are Silverfish Harmful to Cats? (animalpath.org)
Hi, thank you so much. I’ll clean the fountain more often and switch the water filter every week.
About this worms getting into food, I don’t think so since I don’t free feed. I give them meals and once they’re finished I close the kitchen door.

amethyst

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
They kind of look like grain beetle larva (also called pantry beetles) to me, they looks too small to be silverfish, but I could be wrong. Either way they are harmless too. They can get into bags of kibble, if you feed kibble, as well as grains like flour, and they can travel around the house if the fountain isn't in the kitchen or near the food.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Natalusky29

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
They kind of look like grain beetle larva (also called pantry beetles) to me, they looks too small to be silverfish, but I could be wrong. Either way they are harmless too. They can get into bags of kibble, if you feed kibble, as well as grains like flour, and they can travel around the house if the fountain isn't in the kitchen or near the food.
Hi, thank you so much I’ll ask my vet about those tomorrow:) also about kibble is not a problem since I usually feed them wet food, and kibble is storaged in a bag inside of a shelf 😂 ( I don’t free feed) and the fountain is in the living room bc the kitchen stove is a hazard for one of my cats