Are there quiet cats?

happen

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello,

I love cats, but for most of my life I have not been in a position to be a cat owner. But in my late 20's I finally got myself into a stable job and an apartment that allowed cats. I started with a Russian Blue from the Humane Society. They told me he'd be loud, but I didn't mind at the time. And he was vocal, but he didn't wake me up, and the talking kept me company. A year and a half later I got a longhaired kitten. She was much quieter, and for a long time, I didn't think she could really meow. The two got along great.

Years passed, and I started a family, and my Russian Blue was not happy. He was meowing me awake several times a night. I thought it might be the new apartment. He did seem happier when we bought a house. But there were other cats in the neighborhood and they were not nice. He got louder and louder, at all hours of the night. It was really frustrating, being short of sleep from raising children, to have the cat wake me up, too.

Anyhow, this question is not about him. After he crossed the bridge, my other cat became loud. She had always been so quiet. It's been two years now, and it's getting worse. She picks several times a day, usually either a stressful time of day, or when I'm asleep, to either follow me around meowing insistently (litter box is clean, food and water full, coat brushed), or howl if I'm asleep. As soon as I give her attention she's fine. At night all I have to do most times is call her name, and she'll come to bed and quiet down. But then I'm awake again. The vet said it was probably hyperthyroidism, but once that was detected and solved with medication, her behavior hasn't changed.

She's almost 14, dislikes my wife and children, and generally seems unhappy most of the time; and I resent her for waking me up and whining all the time. I've been wondering, is this the end of my life as a cat owner? Does it have to be this way?

When I got my Russian Blue, they said he was a "vocal breed." Are there "quiet breeds"?

p3 and the king

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Persians are known to be quiet... But don't tell my Phoebe!  She's as vocal as they come and LOUD!  My Maine Coon boy is quieter.  My Birman is quiet.  Those two only "talk" to repond to me or to let me know the food or water bowls need filled.  According to their breed descriptions, this is right on track.  But my Maine Coon girl is a little more talkative and a little louder than her brother.  My other Persian, Piper, is like your girl used to be.  Quiet and the silent meow a lot.  It really depends on the cats personality.  Not so much the breed, in my opinion. 

She's getting old, is it possible she is going deaf?  My cat suddenly started doing that when he started losing his hearing.  Or maybe she is still greiving?  Maybe she needs another friend?  I would very much make her a part of the process though. It doesn't have to be this way but it could be that she misses her friend and she feels detatched from you.  Cats generally bond with one person, though so maybe her heart is broken because she can feel your frustration with her?  Things to think about...

Last edited:

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have an old cat who started to meowl really loud as he aged and he keeps getting louder and louder. He is going deaf. Part of the reason he meowls so loud is that he can't hear himself. The other part is that cats can get very clingy as they age and they call out to you to find you for comfort. When my boy starts meowling really loud, I call his name (sometimes it takes a few calls for him to hear me) and he comes by and quiets down once close to me.

Call out to her when she starts to meowl and give her comfort. She's looking for that right now.

rafm

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My kitties all get louder as they age and sometimes we have to call them to the bed or go find them when they do that. It isn't her fault, she's getting old. You'll change as you get old as well it happens. I understand it can get frustrating, I have one that wakes me up once or twice a night as well but you can't resent them, they are just trying to find me or tell me they need something. 

When we get kittens, they are so full of energy and life and as they age they become more independent and we get used to that, then, they need us again and it's our job to love them just as much in their twilight years as we did when it was easier. Some day, your kids will be taking care of you, just as you are taking care of your kitty girl now. Be patient with her, love her and remember that there will come a day, sooner rather than later when she won't be crying for you in the night, and you WILL miss it. 

huyi

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Anyhow, this question is not about him. After he crossed the bridge, my other cat became loud. She had always been so quiet. It's been two years now, and it's getting worse. She picks several times a day, usually either a stressful time of day, or when I'm asleep, to either follow me around meowing insistently (litter box is clean, food and water full, coat brushed), or howl if I'm asleep. As soon as I give her attention she's fine. At night all I have to do most times is call her name, and she'll come to bed and quiet down. But then I'm awake again. The vet said it was probably hyperthyroidism, but once that was detected and solved with medication, her behavior hasn't changed.

She's almost 14, dislikes my wife and children, and generally seems unhappy most of the time; and I resent her for waking me up and whining all the time. I've been wondering, is this the end of my life as a cat owner? Does it have to be this way?

When I got my Russian Blue, they said he was a "vocal breed." Are there "quiet breeds"?
it could be because of your russian blue, your current cat maybe misses him, that could be one of the reasons she is miawowing like that, you said she was quiet when your russian blue passed, cats are know to be stressed when a companion dies espcially if both cats have been together for a long time.

my cat is extremly quiet, he hardly miaows, the only time he maiows when it's feeding time or if he knows that i am awake and wants to be let into the front room.

lovemycats2

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
As soon as my cat lost his brother who passed away, he began vocalizing alot.  The other cat used to do the "talking".  If it was time to eat the other cat would be the one to let me know for the both of them while the other just quietly stood by.

A couple of months have passed and it is now time to introduce another cat which we've been looking for and expect to have shortly.

About the night time meowing, when I have experienced this in the past I have learned my lesson to not respond.  One time I got up and gave them some food because of early morning meowing, and the next morning at the same time it started again.  So after that when I would hear this, I would just pretend I didn't hear it so as not to encourage it.      

salsanchips

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cats are mostly quiet, EXCEPT when they want to be fed or let outside. Then it starts. I blame myself; I have re-enforced it by responding when they start vocalizing. Lately I am being more stringent about "No" meaning "NO". They give up pretty quick when they don't immediately get their way...

One thing -- one of them (Doodad) actually "talks" to me. I swear, he will make little soft, barely audible "meow..." sounds while sitting and looking at me. He doesn't really want anything, he just wants to "talk". It's very cool and I like that a lot :)

When my first male, Wingnut, died a couple years ago, the female Moonbat litterally CRIED for a week. Heartbreaking :(

I think it is great that you understand your cats need you now more than ever and their vocalizing is a sign of that.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

happen

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for all your replies. After Tristessa moves on, I'll probably take some time before considering more cats. It's been 15 years since I haven't had cats. I am sure I will miss them more than I miss a good night's sleep now.