Are there cats that just never purr?

Novus888

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I was around cats all through childhood til age eighteen, and never knew even one that did not purr...until now. My Buddy just never does it. Even when I give him his beloved brushdown and massage (that makes him do a bunny flop). Anybody else have a cat that doesn't purr? Should I ask the vet about it?

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
If Buddy is otherwise healthy, up-to-date on his vet visits, and acting happy and relaxed, he may just be one of those kitties that doesn't purr--or purrs so softly that you can't hear it. When he's super relaxed, try putting the tips of your fingers very lightly on his neck below his chin where his vocal cords are. You might be able to feel the vibration that results from purring. I can't always hear Iris when she purrs, but if I hold my fingers gently against her throat, I can feel her purring.

Nebaug

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
One of mine is soft purrer sometimes you have to touch him to feel vibration. Little girl purrs her little head off when she wants something, and only then. And the baby boy is ……… someone left the engine running on that boy. You just look at him and he turns in a puddle and purrs and purrs and purrs, laud!!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Novus888

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yeah, not feeling or hearing anything. The SPCA stuck me with a broken kitty! Well, too late now. I'm loving on Buddy and I think he is warming to me. I finally got him to sleep by my pillow. I had to trick him into it, but whatever works. I had to reverse my sleeping position so that now my head is where my feet used to be. He loves sleeping on my legs, but so far has yet to figure out what has changed.

I finally got him to the SF SPCA hospital today. He came out of the stroller with fangs of fury and claws of carnage. I have to dope him up Sunday and bring him back Monday for blood panel. Actually have to dope him up up Saturday and bring him in Sunday for the claws cutting clinic. So basically I guess he is gonna be staggering from Saturday night til Monday afternoon. When I got him home he was especially loving/clingy, and is now asleep under my chair.

Nebaug

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yeah, not feeling or hearing anything. The SPCA stuck me with a broken kitty! Well, too late now. I'm loving on Buddy and I think he is warming to me. I finally got him to sleep by my pillow. I had to trick him into it, but whatever works. I had to reverse my sleeping position so that now my head is where my feet used to be. He loves sleeping on my legs, but so far has yet to figure out what has changed.

I finally got him to the SF SPCA hospital today. He came out of the stroller with fangs of fury and claws of carnage. I have to dope him up Sunday and bring him back Monday for blood panel. Actually have to dope him up up Saturday and bring him in Sunday for the claws cutting clinic. So basically I guess he is gonna be staggering from Saturday night til Monday afternoon. When I got him home he was especially loving/clingy, and is now asleep under my chair.
your vet will not cut his nails while he is there for bloodwork ?

Tik cat's mum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have one that you feel instead of hearing when I do, I tell him I can feel those bees in your belly :lol: glad buddy is settling in it took a while before my hubby felt our boy purr. Just keep loving on him I'm sure you'll get those purrs soon.

CindyH66

Peanuts Mom
Adult Cat
Purraise
aw, I understand ! my Bella had such a PURR, you would think there was a helicopter sitting on a pad nearby !! we nicknamed her " the purr monster" ..LOL :insertevillaugh: we loved it ! We adopted Peanut after Bella died , but Peanut has such a soft purr ..you can barely hear it !! My husband is hard of hearing , so he cant hear it at all; I can, but just barely. Its there, but very SOFT. She has only been with us since last summer , and still skittish . a totally different girl than Bella. We found she is scared of Thunderstorms ( Bella was not) and I have seen this kitty have nightmares; She tries to cover up her food (Bella never did) and other behaviors from being a stray; I am hoping , in time she will relax, and her purr will grow. I guess time will tell ! Maybe Buddy needs that same time to settle in too. ;)🤞

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I miss 🌈Dante the Great’s loud puuurrrr! 😢

When Jackie was a kitten I was worried I wasn’t making him happy (for a couple of weeks) because of the lack of a puuurr sound! Once I figured out I could feel it with my hand, I calmed down! (Before he was always with his siblings who puuurrr loud so I never noticed.) I have to mute the tv to hear his puuurrrr. I have noticed if I do my fake puuurrrrrr he puuuurrrrssss a little louder. 🤷🏻‍♀️

I wonder if his 2 siblings that have wide barrel torsos or chests puuurrr louder from their body shape? Pictures of my slender lynx, his barrel chested panther brother and his fluffy barrel chested .... working on becoming fat sister included. Plus a picture of Jackie from a few days ago mid nursing and puurrr fest. (That he does every night. 😻)

Attachments