Are there Any Jewish People Here?

EmersonandEvie

Mom to Evie, Emerson and Dexter
Top Cat
Purraise
This is an oddly specific post, so bear with me.

Backstory: I joined a Facebook group that makes fun of names (not cultural names- think adding unnecessary Y's and such, ie Aydyn instead of Aiden, unnecessary apostrophes, etc.). I was scrolling through one day and saw the name Ezra. That is certainly a normal name, so I was reading the comments to see why it was in the group. Long story short, the person who named their kid Ezra was not Jewish.

This went into a lengthy discussion between Jewish members of the group as to whether it was appropriate for a non-Jewish person to use Jewish names. Many called it cultural appropriation. I had never thought twice about it and have already decided that my future kids will have a Jewish name (an Old Testament name, if you will). I was not raised in the Jewish faith and my interaction with practicing Jews has been very limited. Prior to joining this group, I had never heard that argument, not did I have any idea that several Jewish individuals held that belief.

So, if anyone here is Jewish, could you give me your two cents? Did I stumble across a super orthodox group (all religions have them ha), or is non-Jewish individuals naming their children Jewish names a source of contention within your faith?

For what it's worth, the two people I know that are Jewish said that nobody would care if you named your kid a Jewish name.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am not Jewish. From a Christian viewpoint Jewish history is also Christian history. Biblical names are also Jewish names. I had not heard this perspective before, I would also be interested in whether this is a common feeling among people who are Jewish. My father's middle name was Jacob.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm Catholic. The only name I'd heard controversy about is non Jewish people using Cohen as a first name since it's more a noun than an established name, and I totally get that being cultural appropriation. But since Christians use both Old and New Testament, I'd think Old Testament names would be fair game. When we were coming up with names, I really liked Isaac for a boy. My husband was only soso, and we ended up choosing a different name for if J had been a boy, but I don't feel like it should be off limits when I heard the Abraham and Isaac story growing up as well.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How do they determine which names are Jewish since they are in Christian bibles too? Many Mexican people name their boys Jesus is that forbidden somewhere? They are a religious people.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know you're asking for Jewish people to respond (I was raised Catholic), but I think you must have just stumbled on a conversation with un-informed people. Christianity's history is Jewish history....IMO, Ezra is not specifically a "Jewish" name...I mean, Ezra was a Jewish person, but he is part of several religious/cultural beliefs....so, fair game. Ezra, among many other "Jewish" names are more so "Biblical" names...just my 2 cents.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A snark group is probably not the most reasonable, lol. But, yeah, evangelicals are all about the OT names (for males anyway; I guess there are only so many Abigails and Sarahs you can have and not many parents want their kid to be named Keren-happuch). I know guys named Shaphan and Josiah and Micah. I guess it would sort of funny if they named their kid Nehemiah or Zaphnath-Paaneah (we call him Joe ;)), but Ezra is almost mainstream at this point.

But again, snark group's gonna snark.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

EmersonandEvie

Top Cat
Purraise
How do they determine which names are Jewish since they are in Christian bibles too? Many Mexican people name their boys Jesus is that forbidden somewhere? They are a religious people.
One argument i saw was that, since Christians don't follow the OT/Torah, the names should be off limits. I get that, and I can somewhat see their point, but the OT is still taught as part of the Christian Bible...so...it doesn't seem right that they can claim certain names as "only Jewish", especially with how mainstream Anglicanized versions of Hebrew names have become.

A snark group is probably not the most reasonable, lol. But, yeah, evangelicals are all about the OT names (for males anyway; I guess there are only so many Abigails and Sarahs you can have and not many parents want their kid to be named Keren-happuch). I know guys named Shaphan and Josiah and Micah. I guess it would sort of funny if they named their kid Nehemiah or Zaphnath-Paaneah (we call him Joe ;)), but Ezra is almost mainstream at this point.

But again, snark group's gonna snark.
The names we have chosen are OT names, but we're definitely not evangelical. We genuinely like the names, no religion attached. We went through lists of names and those were the ones we agreed upon.

EmersonandEvie

Top Cat
Purraise
I'm Catholic. The only name I'd heard controversy about is non Jewish people using Cohen as a first name since it's more a noun than an established name, and I totally get that being cultural appropriation. But since Christians use both Old and New Testament, I'd think Old Testament names would be fair game. When we were coming up with names, I really liked Isaac for a boy. My husband was only soso, and we ended up choosing a different name for if J had been a boy, but I don't feel like it should be off limits when I heard the Abraham and Isaac story growing up as well.
Yes! My Jewish coworker said that definitely raises eyebrows to hear the name Cohen. It's akin to calling your kid Priest or Pope- it's a title or a given surname in the Jewish faith.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My background is anything but Jewish, but looking back on family history, there are many of my ancestors with Biblical names, especially in the 17th, 18th, and 19th centuries; Abraham, Isaac, and Noah among them. My late sister-in-law had a brother named Ezra, the family coming from West Virginia. To call them 'Jewish names' smacks of being ignorant or simply uber politically correct.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The names we have chosen are OT names, but we're definitely not evangelical. We genuinely like the names, no religion attached.
Oh, yeah, once you hear them enough it just become another name, doesn't need to have a particular meaning to it.

I knew a guy named Cowen (said the same as Cohen) when I was a teen, his family was Black and not religiously Jewish either. I don't think his parents meant for it to have any meaning but then I never asked.

EmersonandEvie

Top Cat
Purraise
Just out of curiosity, I guess my first question would be, why would you join a FB group that makes fun of names? :dunno:
The combinations people come up with astound me. People will take a name like Aiden and turn it into Aeighdyn for the sole purpose of being "unique" and "different" when in reality they're just setting their own kid up for a lifetime of misprounouncations and the inability to find their names on any souvenirs. 🤷‍♀️ Maybe I'm a trash person.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yes! My Jewish coworker said that definitely raises eyebrows to hear the name Cohen. It's akin to calling your kid Priest or Pope- it's a title or a given surname in the Jewish faith.
Is using Cohen as a first name a thing? That's pretty weird to me since it' so clearly is a last name.

EmersonandEvie

Top Cat
Purraise
I'm Jewish.
I see no problem with someone naming their kid Ezra if not Jewish. It's a name, not an identity.
Personally I have never met someone with that name Jewish or not.
I initially had a panic moment because we went through SO MANY names and finally agreed on the one. I didn't want to offend anyone, but it was genuinely the first time I had heard of Jewish people having that opinion. Again- I was not raised Jewish, not raised around Jewish individuals. Other names that were being discussed were Benjamin, Isaac, Jacob, Levi, Asher...some people were making the argument that those names have been Anglicanized and, as long as the original Hebrew pronunciation wasn't used, it was fine. Which I get that, I would give someone an odd look myself if they used RIvka vs Rebecca and weren't Jewish.

EmersonandEvie

Top Cat
Purraise
Is using Cohen as a first name a thing? That's pretty weird to me since it' so clearly is a last name.
Yes, Cohen as a first name. Apparently there was a character on The OC whose last name was Cohen, but they called him by his last name. It got pretty popular as a first name after that.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I initially had a panic moment because we went through SO MANY names and finally agreed on the one. I didn't want to offend anyone, but it was genuinely the first time I had heard of Jewish people having that opinion. Again- I was not raised Jewish, not raised around Jewish individuals. Other names that were being discussed were Benjamin, Isaac, Jacob, Levi, Asher...some people were making the argument that those names have been Anglicanized and, as long as the original Hebrew pronunciation wasn't used, it was fine. Which I get that, I would give someone an odd look myself if they used RIvka vs Rebecca and weren't Jewish.
The only Jews that would use Rivka instead of Rebecca (or other Biblical names) are from Orthodox sects including Hasidic Jews. Or, if one is from Israel - I have had several friends from there originally and most have names one wouldn't hear much in the States.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
DS has a Old Testament Biblical name but I didn’t look for Biblical names intentionally (even being an active Christian). I did look at name meanings. But it was complimented by a person who actually lives in Israel when he was born. They sure didn’t seem offended. :lol2:

Some people just look for ways to be offended. I have no tolerance for people like that.

EmersonandEvie

Top Cat
Purraise
The only Jews that would use Rivka instead of Rebecca (or other Biblical names) are from Orthodox sects including Hasidic Jews. Or, if one is from Israel - I have had several friends from there originally and most have names one wouldn't hear much in the States.
Yeah, several of the people commenting had their names written in the Hebrew language (forgive my ignorance, not entirely sure what to call it- alphabet?). I would imagine that's pretty indicative of a person with very orthodox viewpoints?

I really appreciate your opinion on the topic, as a Jewish individual. :)