Are The Kittens Alive?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

shannon1984

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
While 10 cats are hard to manage and were not in my plan I can't imagine how different my life would be if their mother had not escaped. They were less than 24 hours from being aborted and came close again a few times.

I believe there is a tiny soul with a fully formed personality even within a pregnant animals womb. I believe moms can feel and bond and even communicate with those tiny souls. On that note I hold Ollie fully responsible for their survival. Ollie is the orange and white cat. He appears to be a common house cat but Ollie gets whatever Ollie wants and he is so charming that he will even make you feel happy about serving his every need. From the beginning Ollie tried everything without hesitation. He's confident, smart, and has contagious excitement for everything. He's loud but not whiny or grumbly. He just has no trouble communicating exactly what he wants...his constant excitement, his impatience, his "oh shit mom help" moments. He must have everyone's full attention and adoration at all times.

The rundown on the others:

Mia: Mia is the marbled tortoise shell calico. I imagine Mia is what her mother would be like if she weren't feral. She's super smart and confident but very quiet and independent. Mia and Ollie are the leaders and figured out everything way faster than the others. She's incredibly maternal and cleans me (everyone) a lot. She's very loving but she's so patient that she will wait till everyone else has their turn first. When she wants her share of attention she lets out a soft mew because she's just so zen.

Arlo: He's the orange one with the squinched eye markings. He was very primitive at first. Independent and aloof sometimes. He would rip the flesh off a field mouse the mother brought home and had trouble with picking his own secret potty spots for a while. He still is the one to growl and hiss when meat treats are given. He's become more civilized and has a loving side but still has primitive leanings.

Little Gary: Orange one who looks like big Gary in the face. He's a mama's boy. He got chased by a dog once and it took hours to get him out of my car engine. For weeks after he "nope, nope, not happening" would not go out when the others did. He still sometimes stays in while the others adventure. He's the needy type affection wise but since he clings to me while they play he gets his time.

Cleo: She's the wallflower girl. Do not mistake her timid nature with lack of confidence. She is brave but shy. While Mia does her own independent thing and hangs back patiently waiting for others needs to be filled, Cleo just waits at a short distance and hopes you don't forget her. I always make special time for her so she is not left out.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

shannon1984

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
:yess:Aww they are so lush :hyper: thank you for the update
lol yeah they eat well. Gary is all about food. He and Ollie follow me to the kitchen every single time. Ollie squeals for treats while Gary just looks up at me longingly.

Originally I was going to find homes for the younger 5. When Ollie was about 2 weeks old my daughter came to me and announced that Ollie was special and was going to be her cat so I could not give him away. I'd already noticed his infectious enthusiasm and undeniable charm blossoming myself. My dad came to live with us and I would come home from work every night to see Ollie sitting with him on the couch eating ice cream. My dad "hates" cats but Ollie is just so lovable that he put up with him.

Then I thought I'd hold on to them all until Spring Kitten Prevention vouchers came out because I didn't want their would be parents to make the same kind of mistakes I did with their mother. You're allowed 5 SKP vouchers so that seemed perfect. Then I got the opportunity to have the lady that helped me trap Gary, Shine, and William help me fix all 5 for free through a mobile clinic. That included all shots, flea treatment, worming and spay/neuter. When we did Gary, Shine, and William they tipped the ears but they offered to skip that with the 5 newer ones if I'd guarantee them a home.

We only have a 900 square foot apartment and a 900 square foot shop but we have 4 acres with a small barn next to 12 empty acres and backed up to about 30 acres of woods. Because the woods are sandwiched between developed properties predators aren't a huge problem. I knew if we could make this work they'd all be safer here than just about anywhere else.

My dad has even shockingly adjusted well to them all. Now he's got a job here and is moving the tenants out of our main house next door so I'm hopeful that with less dogs around and 2400 more square feet of living space maybe the mother cat will start coming home again for more than just food.:crossfingers: