Are The Kittens Alive?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Trapping the tom and getting him neutered would help. It sounds like mom may be pregnant again.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

shannon1984

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It is possible the Tom killed it. They do this by shaking them to death like a dog with a toy.

I think you need to grab him if you can or scare him off.
He's been missing since the storm too. I think his owner took him inside during the storm. I haven't seen him since the day before the storm. I will keep an eye out though.

The reason I think he's temporarily gone is because mom is back with the kittens (now 11 week old kittens). I was thinking she was late beginning to wean when she abruptly took the babies far away. Then she came back to the general area and was soon spotted nearby with the Tom and in heat. She was staying away from the kittens during this few days. I do realize it's still possible he killed the kitten. He was very open about his presence and he's somebody's pet because he even let me pet him without much effort. I'd seen him before. I ran him off at first but once mom dumped the kittens far off and was following the tom around in heat I decided to see if I could pet him to see how feral he was. I find it odd that he'd wait till the 11th week with mom away from them to suddenly kill one...though really she may have been the only thing stopping him before.

Haven't seen him at all since the storm but I'm definitely watching. I go at least 5 times a day and sit and watch. What's so stressful is that I can't just scoop the kittens up and protect them from him. My only hope is to trap them (and pray they live long enough for me to do it). I don't own a gun or anything to scare him with if I do see him. :(

shannon1984

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Trapping the tom and getting him neutered would help. It sounds like mom may be pregnant again.
I was going to take mom in this week since the kittens are 11 weeks old. I called the local animal shelter to ask how to set up a spay for a feral that I will have to bring in spontaneously. They told me I am limited to 2 discount feral vouchers for non-appointment spay/neuter but that I have to come apply and submit income verification.

I was really upset when they told me the process can take days to months so I called my neighbor who's been through this. We had just been talking about my stress over mom dumping the kittens far off and running around with the Tom. I suggested if 2 discount vouchers was all I could get I'd probably just fix the mom and the Tom for now and that would give me a few months to either save for the kittens or find them good homes that would fix them. It just seems so tragic to me that there aren't better resources locally for this situation and that this kitten may have died just because I couldn't get mom in right away. I'm really upset at myself for not just spending the $120 even though I had a flat tire last week and some other unexpected expenses. :(

shannon1984

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
After the one kitten passed mom took the others to my neighbors shed. It's her favorite year round hang out. This was going really well for several days until they put their son's nursing dog into the dog pin behind that shed. The cats then vacated for the spot in the woods behind where I was feeding them...until night before last when it stormed. The storm was much less intense as far as thunder/lightning than the previous one but it dumped a lot more water. The whole back pasture was swampy after.I feared the worst.

Come 6 AM I ran into mom at the chicken coup (much much further forward on the property nearer to our house, a rental house next to us, and our neighbors house). Mom seemed a little frantic. She followed me to the woods but no sign of the kittens. I came home broken but noticed she followed me back here and she kept looking everywhere. She even came into the apartment and into the shop downstairs. I assumed she was looking for the kittens but went to get coffee. When I came back downstairs she and all 3 kittens were standing outside on the stairs adjacent the chicken coup.

I went to the woods to get the dry food I'd left and brought it to the top of the coup stairs where there's an entrance to a small feed room I assumed they had all stayed in overnight to keep dry. I went to the apartment to mix some diatomaceous earth with wet food and brought that back. When I did I was thinking about shutting them in the room but wasn't sure if there'd be another way out so I went to lean in and the orange kitten flew out down and across the pasture into the barn. I followed him to try to catch him in the barn. Big mistake. He climbed the entire barn wall with nothing else to climb on just to get out. The roof is open so he was out and I knew he'd go straight for the woods. I went back home and the mom had realized he was missing so she began looking everywhere and following me again. I had her follow me to the woods where they were reunited and I left them so she could calm him.

Mom then came back to the house and began wandering around trying to coax the kittens. Over the next several hours she was able to get the boys into into my downstairs shop. I had left the back window to the shop open since fall hoping she would use it when weather was bad but she had never been interested. Now I'd left the front door open too earlier when she seemed to be looking for her kittens. I realized this might be what she was dong when I saw her try to drag the uncooperative girl in that direction. Eventually the boys were in without dragging but the girl would not cooperate. She tried no less than 2 dozen times to drag the girl in, sometimes even making it to the front door only to have her wiggle free and run around the building back the chicken coup. This went on all day. As it was getting dark I figured that since the girl wouldn't leave the chicken coup for the safety of the woods that she would probably be swayed to enter the shop after everyone in the 3 houses went to bed.

When I got up this morning mom and all 3 kittens were tucked in the shop. They were still there after work today. The initial shock and fight or flight seems to be wearing off (the kittens have never been to the active/developed front side of the properties before now). Mom seems very proud of this situation. I realize I'll never know for sure what happened to the kitten that died but a little part of me thinks he died of hypothermia after the previous storm (his neck was not limp though he still could have been shaken). They were alone and everything was still wet and the overnight temperatures dropped. I feel like mom knows this and it may have propelled her to bring them forward to higher ground this time, in spite of the activity of 3 families nearby. I have no idea if this will stick for long but I hope that at least it will mean they will all know they can come here any time they want or need shelter.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
So they are in a shop? Is it a situation where you can close them inside and work on taming them?

I don't quite grasp the whole picture.

shannon1984

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
They are in. I can close them in I just didn't choose to close it up last night so she could get the girl in. I put litter in there. I go down and open it up and nobody tries to leave but I assume this is not a fail safe situation. My freezer is there plus stored household stuff so I need to go in and out regularly (especially now that i'll be going to feed and clean litter). I assume that if mom wants to leave she will find a way and then the kittens will get braver and try to follow. I need to try to move the crate in there so I can try to crate them but I don't think this will be any easier than it was outside. They never would go in the cage while I was near. I guess what I mean is how well this goes now will depend a lot on weather mom tries to leave them for the woods.

I got approved today for her discount spay voucher. They want me to make an appointment so I'll have to take her in next week. I don't think it will be that hard with the mom though as long as I schedule it for an off day in case she resists the cage.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
This is your golden opportunity to close them in, and to make sure there is no way out!

After all you have been through to try to save them and to eventually spay and neuter them, you absolutely need to use this situation to do that.

Once mom is fixed she will become even tamer. Keeping them in and feeding them inside will result in the kittens building trust.

Please do not let them out! You've finally, after weeks, got them! :)

shannon1984

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well guys so far so good. Nobody is trying to escape. I've seen mom go peek at sunlight through the door crack a few times (its a heavy door and she's tiny so she can't possibly push it open further without my help) and thought she was getting bored of being closed in. After watching I've noticed she doesn't seem to go near the crack unless there are certain noises (my cats, the nearby dogs, nearby cars). She hasn't shown any real interest in getting out.

I feel sorry for them all being without much sunlight other than what comes into the back window. Still mom seems to believe them all being in there safe is worth the sacrifice. Her usually very independent nature doesn't fit with her sudden desire to be indoors so I'm convinced she must be pregnant. I think her survival instincts are telling her that if she tries to put her body through this outside right now they will all be at serious risk.

There is so much junk crammed in there from my parents recent divorce that there are PLENTY of places to hide so taming the kittens will still be just as hard as it proved outside. They are getting used to all the noise and activity that come with having humans upstairs (and in/out regularly). I'm going to ease them into removing some clutter by not doing too much for another week then go in short bursts for as long as they aren't trying to get out when I come and go.

Mom is set to be spayed Thursday. If that falls through because my vet won't spay her pregnant I've got a backup plan that will actually be even better (except it will take longer). While she was trying to drag the little girl into the shop the other day I called a feral coalition for help learning the trap I had and to ask about the danger of a small mother trying to drag a 12 week old. Though they assured me everything was fine, they got a good laugh at my predicament. Then they offered to do mom and all the kittens through their coalition vet and I would only have to pay their discount ($75 but it covers shots worming AND spay/neuter). This is more money upfront but it's ultimately a huge savings and probably better for the kittens since they likely won't tame enough to get homes easily. They are on a 2 week wait list so we agreed that I should try to stick with my other appointment for mom.

Fingers crossed! :)

daisyd

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Great ! So, trying to understand is the place secure so they can't get out now ? They have to all stay in until they can go to the vets ! Especially if she is pregnant again. Well done for getting this far and I'm sad about lost kitten

shannon1984

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Great ! So, trying to understand is the place secure so they can't get out now ? They have to all stay in until they can go to the vets ! Especially if she is pregnant again. Well done for getting this far and I'm sad about lost kitten
Yes it's secure and so far they aren't even trying to get out. I do want to try to get some junk out and de-clutter but I will only try if i'm 100% confident the door won't be open far enough or long enough for them to get out. I could probably get a few things out now for example, because the kittens are hiding from any movement and too scared of this new place to try. I'd rather wait and let them get used to the sounds of humans (especially with us upstairs it must be terrifying). They've never been out of the woods before. If they are less docile after a week I just won't even risk it until they are fixed.

shannon1984

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Wow - awesome news! The coalition's help is perfect. :)

Whatever you do, please be extra careful opening the door from both the inside and the outside so no one gets out.
No worries. I'm being very careful and I make my daughter tell me what she needs so I can get it for her to avoid any accidents.

I've sat and watched them. They will come out a bit once I'm quiet and still. I was worried our human noises would terrify them but they seem to be adjusting fast. I get to see their reactions to my daughter upstairs when I'm with them.

One little boy really LOVES fresh clean litter. It's so cute. He wandered over there today after I'd changed it and just sat in it for about 10 minutes not even realizing I was sitting quietly on top of the freezer right next to him. He was just so excited about that litter he couldn't wait :lol:

shannon1984

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My oldest boy house cat really loves fresh litter too. I have a cat door because I have cat allergies and the door cuts down on litter exposure but when we first brought him home we put litter out for him. He didn't even wait for me to get the lid on he just took a flying dive from about 6-8 feet away and started making litter angels (flinging his front and back paws like a human making a snow angel). Litter flew everywhere. Now anytime we introduce a new cat or one of the cats is sick, injured, or goes to the vet, Munchie gets so excited to have his litter back. He even saw me carrying the supplies to the shop and ran through my legs to be the first one to use it. I was going to stop him but then I thought maybe the others wouldn't know what to do and would be too scared to come out and use it... so I let him christen it :)

shannon1984

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Indy likes rolling in dirty litter... Weird cat. Then I have to brush it out but she smells.
Awe! Yes, they all have their weird little quirks don't they? We love them anyway though (sometimes like only a mother could though :headshake:).

shannon1984

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Update:

It's been a long year.

The 3 surviving kittens were dragged into my shop/garage by their mom at 12 weeks and lived there happily for some time. All were trapped and fixed. I lost one of my pet boys to a major illness during this time so I needed the babies as much as they needed me.

Shine (white with calico spotting) was the first to let me pet her after about 2 months and became quite friendly.

William (black and white boy who's near twin died in the woods at 11 weeks) absolutely looked forward more to my attention than anything else so he was the first to finally check out my home. It took many weeks to touch him followed by weeks of petting sessions followed by weeks of him following me and longingly peeking into my home. He finally just could not resist coming inside. He spent 2 nights in my home snuggling in my bed. Then he got hit by a car while I was working, but at least I know he experienced love, safety, and happiness before he passed.

Then there is Gary. Gary was just too smart and too careful to trust me with all this petting business that Shine and William foolishly allowed. He loved his food though and that would prove to be the key to trapping him and building trust. When I would spend hours coaxing William and Shine up to the porch or onto the steps or even inside for just a brief snack Gary would sit outside (even in the rain) and wait for their return. I knew he was going to break one day when he sat in the rain howling for us the whole time. He wanted to try to trust me like they did but he just couldn't yet let go. After William passed Gary became lonely and he started waiting for me everywhere all throughout the day. It took until he was almost 9 months to pet him but he is now a happily integrated indoor/outdoor family member.

Shine prefers to live 1/2 in the woods but she comes home daily to visit and spends nights inside pending weather.

Momma cat got away not long after she dragged them into the shop. She missed her spay appointment and her voucher expired. I caught her sneaking in the house and tried to trap her twice but she got out both times. The third time was the charm and I called the vet and set her another appointment, which she would not make it to before giving birth 36 hours after I placed that call. She had 5 healthy babies.

Those 5 babies were born and raised inside my 900 square foot apartment alongside my remaining 2 boy pets. The boys had enough of this violent feral mother and all her baby drama and moved out for a while. They moved into the shop with Gary and Shine which allowed them to become even more friendly. The babies (Mia, Ollie, Arlo, Little Gary, and Cleo) eventually started exploring and invading the yard and the shop so everyone has kind of moved back home and integrated into one family with some spending more time outside for extra space. The babies are definitely all sheltered spoiled house cats though, so they spend most of their time at home. They were all fixed last month.

Momma cat was fixed. She weaned the new kittens and not long after that she returned to woods for good. She still sneaks into the shop to eat and we all go visit her often. It breaks my heart that she won't come home more often or at least come inside when it's raining but she is about as hell bent on living life in her own feral way as a cat can be. I can't really blame her for not wanting to share 900 square feet and a large shop with 9 other cats.

I will post some pictures of everyone later.

shannon1984

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Gary and Shine on the electric blanket. Hard to believe I spent a year of hard work and long days trying to save them and their mother from feral life. They look like house pets now but let a stranger stop by or make a sudden loud noise and they will still panic. Gary will bolt out of the cat door faster than you can blink but he's inside now 75% of the time unless there's a disturbance.

shh.png

Below is Gary William and Shine when I was working on coaxing them inside for brief snacks. Gary would wait on that mat and watch William and Shine play. After a while I was able to get them to come just inside the door for a snack but they wouldn't stay longer than a few minutes at first. Gary would lay there on that mat waiting and watching us. If it rained he'd just get up under something and wait.

IMG_2668 (1).JPG
IMG_2673.JPG