Are the feliway diffusers safe

tibbers01

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm personally not convinced that they are safe. Certainly don't attempt to use a 120V diffuser on a 240V supply (the 120V one I had was not actually marked as such (and the instructions contain zero warnings about use on 240V), and Amazon sellers sell them from the US to overseas).

This is what happens if you do:

View media item 349229
View media item 349230
I was fairly lucky the house didn't burn down as it was dripping burning plastic into the carpet. If I hadn't had a photoelectric smoke alarm in the house and been in, I'm fairly sure I would have had no house and no cats.

I contacted Feliway at the time via their website and they did not respond at all. This told me as much as I needed to know about Feliway. Amazon continue to allow sellers to sell US diffusers to 240V countries, despite my suggestions to them to prevent this as someone is likely to be killed.

Personally I think they are pure snake oil backed up by very little empirical evidence, and the number of accounts of people having correct-voltage units smoulder or catch fire makes me think they are best avoided. If you are outside the US, certainly do not be tempted to try and use a US-sourced unit!

Last edited by a moderator:

mphscat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So from all of the above, I think I, personally, can conclude that the diffusers just aren't worth it in the long run. A) it's potentially a fire hazard - and when one lives on a boat, one
tends to be overly cautious about this very thing, B) it leaves a rather large carbon footprint in the long run, and C) it's pricey when you take into consideration needing to swap it out every so often.

Now then...how about the sprays? They make an aerosol as well - has anyone had any luck with these? I'd rather be informed before investing money in something just to help my "grumpy cat" become less of a grump. ;)  
There is NO DOUBT, at least for me, that the product works and you may have to use a diffuser under supervision.

I have also used the spray in the car/cage before going to the vet and did see an improvement. I'd suggest spraying the places where you cat sleeps/lounges and see if you see an improvement.

tibbers01

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
There is an interesting article here: http://catsandsquirrels.com/feliway/

I must admit, we tried Feliway for 4 months (being very careful after the combustion incident), and there was no discernible change in our cats' stress levels before, during or after.  It just did not do anything with regards to cat stress. I don't personally trust any studies funded by CEVA, and the only positive evidence seems to be anecdotal -- which I put down to owner placebo effect coupled with post purchase cognitive dissonance (the product is expensive). All this would be forgivable if CEVA was producing a safe product, but my experience is that they are not (and there are enough reports of smouldering and fires that there is significant cause for concern).

koba77

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My feliway diffuser melted and stunk up my house with burned plastic smell. It was not my outlet that was hot the diffused was and probably would have caught fire if I wasnt home!

samus

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I hope Amazon gave you a refund at least!!

The sprays are less effective because you have to remember to manually spray them regularly (multiple times a day I think, I don't remember how long it lasts). I have anecdotal evidence that Feliway might help my cat's IBD issues. I've been using it since December, and the last refill never came (Amazon!@!!!
) and since we've run out she's been showing symptoms again. (Uncomfortable after eating, a couple incidents of diarrhea and vomit, less playful....) It could be a coincidence, but I saw a similar pattern in February or March when I forgot to refill it for a couple weeks.

After reading this thread, though, I'm going to put a smoke detector right above the diffuser just in case....