Are Sphynx Cats Hyper? Deciding Between Sphynx and Ragdoll...

keywestkeely

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everybody, I'm new to the forum, and I'd love some advice!

I already have a three-year-old Bengal mix (female), and I'm trying to decide between getting a Sphynx or a Ragdoll.

I love the look of both these cats, and I love the personality traits as well!  I want a real lap cat/ cuddler with personality, who will stay on the sofa or in bed with me, but will also be a playmate to my very active Bengal!

However, I don't want another cat that's bouncing off the walls or is super-active--I've already got that!

I'm leaning toward a Sphynx, but I'm just worried about their activity level. Are they that much more active than a Ragdoll--and if so, will they at least calm down when you need them to?

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Welcome to TCS. Even though breeds have certain traits generally, each cat has a different personality. I hope you are going to the shelter for a cat. If you don't get one there, go to a registered, professional breeder.

Personally, I would go for the Ragdoll. But I like cats with fur I can brush.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

keywestkeely

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a shelter cat now---she's a Bengal mix. For the Sphynx or Ragdoll we'll be going to a breeder.

I'm just wondering if Sphynx cats can be calm--are they always really active? I'll want him to be a snuggly lap cat, as well as a playmate for my Bengal!

oz'smum

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My daughter has a Devon Rex, I know there's a connection between them and Sphynx, so I was jist looking them up before commenting. I found this informative site you might want to check out.

http://www.sphynxcatclub.co.uk/life.htm

The two breeds are very different, needing very different care, so I'd suggest lots of research, not just whether they will be lap cats or not, but what you'll need to do to keep them healthy. Till I read that site, I didn't realise they'd need regular baths. On the Wiki page about them it explains why.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have seen Jackson Galaxy work with Sphynx .  I know that he works with cats that have problem behaviors but he gives normal breed info as well.  They are high energy cats and would be a good match for your other cat.  I don't think they are lap cats though.  Actually it sounds like you want a low energy lap cat but want a high energy cat as a companion for your other cat.  I don't think you will find that in one cat.  The Spynx also need frequent baths which is no big deal once they are used to it but that is another consideration.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

keywestkeely

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks to everyone for your help here!

Yes, we've done plenty of research on both breeds and we've learned about the necessities--such as weekly baths for the Sphynx!

While their needs are somewhat different, they seem to be very similar in personality; and many people feel that the Sphynx is the ULTIMATE lap cat! So both breeds combine plenty of playfulness with lots of affection and cuddling.

I was hoping that some Sphynx owners here could let me know about whether or not Sphynx cats have a really "calm" side, the way that Ragdolls do. I've actually read that they do, although they're not as "laid back" as Ragdolls...

bigperm20

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have seen Jackson Galaxy work with Sphynx .  I know that he works with cats that have problem behaviors but he gives normal breed info as well.  They are high energy cats and would be a good match for your other cat.  I don't think they are lap cats though.  Actually it sounds like you want a low energy lap cat but want a high energy cat as a companion for your other cat.  I don't think you will find that in one cat.  The Spynx also need frequent baths which is no big deal once they are used to it but that is another consideration.
Not to change the subject, but Jackson Galaxy has very little breed knowledge. He does wonders working with cats, but I've seen him demonstrate his lack of knowledge regarding cat-fancy many times. He calls cats a particular breed and they look nothing like said breed... He does work behavioral miracles though.

vadzilla

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

I have a shelter cat now---she's a Bengal mix. For the Sphynx or Ragdoll we'll be going to a breeder.

I'm just wondering if Sphynx cats can be calm--are they always really active? I'll want him to be a snuggly lap cat, as well as a playmate for my Bengal!
I think Sphynx are more active than Ragdoll, but they are not hyper.

Here is a couple of links, when you are ready to look for a breeder:

http://www.vadzilla.com/cat-breeds/sphynx

http://www.vadzilla.com/cat-breeds/ragdoll

lilin

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

I already have a three-year-old Bengal mix (female), and I'm trying to decide between getting a Sphynx or a Ragdoll.

I love the look of both these cats, and I love the personality traits as well!  I want a real lap cat/ cuddler with personality, who will stay on the sofa or in bed with me, but will also be a playmate to my very active Bengal!

However, I don't want another cat that's bouncing off the walls or is super-active--I've already got that!

I'm leaning toward a Sphynx, but I'm just worried about their activity level. Are they that much more active than a Ragdoll--and if so, will they at least calm down when you need them to?
Keep in mind that all cats are individuals. But with that said, as far as your AVERAGE Sphynx vs. Ragdoll, a Ragdoll will be a much better lap cat.

I had a Cornish Rex. They are very similar to the Sphynx in terms of behavior.

And let me tell you, she was HYPER. For 10 straight years. They require a lot of exercise, mental stimulation, and play time. If you don't keep them busy, they get into trouble. They're very inquisitive and they keep their kitten-like need for danger well into their adult lives.

That was perfect for me at the time. My parents got her for me when I was a kid, so I had the time and energy to keep her busy. And she started chilling out right around the time I moved into adulthood, so it was a really good match for me.

She was very lovey-dovey, but she definitely wasn't a "chill and watch a movie" kind of cat. She'd cuddle up to me every night, but it wasn't until she was elderly that she started chilling out during the day.

But if you're looking for a laid back lap cat, that isn't what you want.

On the other hand, they would keep up with a Bengal quite well. A Ragdoll might not.

If you're looking for an "all-arounder" cat who can play with the best of them and also chill out, I'd actually suggest you look at moggie cats -- mutts. A lot of cat breeds are bred for extreme personalities (the Sphynx being extremely active and the Ragdoll being an extreme cuddler).

You might be happier with a cat who isn't extreme.

Last edited:

Yoda's mom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
First off Cornish Rex are NOTHING like Sphynx. Sphynx are extremely calm cats once they pass their kitten age. They aren't overly active even being a kitten. Our Sphynx is the calmest laziest cats I have ever known. He is also the most loving and affectionate cat. He is brilliant and can actually carry on a conversation. He will respond to what I'm saying and is a bit stubborn and will tell me exactly what he wants and where he wants it. If he wants food he will let me know and if I ask him where I need to put it he will lead me to the place where he wants to eat. If he wants his snacks in the middle of the night and I don't pay attention he will get up in my face and wake me up by smacking me or putting his nose in my face and meowing. He refuses to drink out of a bowl, only a glass. He also loves to be cuddling on my lap. His spot is on my lower legs by my feet. Even when he is not physically on my lap he has his paws touching me for affection. They are unlike any other breed and no breed can even be compared to them. They aren't a cat in my opinion. They are a small child and must be taken care of exactly like you would take care of a baby. You wouldn't leave a baby alone so you wouldn't leave them alone either unless it's for a very short time like going to the store. I'm a stay at home mom for him. As they grow they even learn how to spell. Ours knows what B A T H spells and he hides if he hears me even mention the word. He gets in his moods where he doesn't want to be bothered and other days he wants to be in your face cuddling. Especially if someone has facial hair then they are in love. They are the most amazing little people ever and they are very addicting. Once you get one you will want more. They are best when they come in bulk.

haleyds

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Spynx cats bond very closely with their owners but are not necessarily cuddly or lap cats. They show their love by means of following their owners ago and they usually prefer to be petted rather than held (of course this differs per individual). They are hyperactive and require lots of mental and physical stimulus considering they are highly intelligent and curious cats. They are very loud and vocal as well!
The ragdoll however will be more of a "lapcat", more snugly and wanting to be on the couch with you. They don't require as much exercise, this seems to be a result of large breed laziness lol.
Both breeds are generally sweet natured and love people, both require quite a bit of coat care even though their on opposite ends of that spectrum, and at the end of the day either breed could either bond with your resident cat or it could be a shit show- because that comes down to individual rather than breed.
Either way they're both solid choices. I personally love both but would definitely choose the ragdoll. I'm extremely partial to laid back cats, though.

Summercats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
K keywestkeely
What did you decide? I am curious if you got th Sphinx, as I wonder how a hairless cat would do in play with a regular cat.. I would think their skin would be delicate.

Tru Blu Sphynx mama

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

I love the look of both these cats, and I love the personality traits as well! I want a real lap cat/ cuddler with personality, who will stay on the sofa or in bed with me, but will also be a playmate to my very active Bengal!

I have two male Sphynx cats and am getting a female kitten. Having had different breeds over the years I can honestly say that The Sphynx is the most affectionate, loving, loyal and entertaining cat ever. They are very playful but not hyper and seem to love car rides!

Tru Blu Sphynx mama

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have two male Sphynx cats and am getting a female kitten. Having had different breeds over the years I can honestly say that The Sphynx is the most affectionate, loving, loyal and entertaining cat ever. They are very playful but not hyper and seem to love car rides!

flybear

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have two Siamese Manx mixes ( more siamese than Manx judging by the parents but HUGE cats ) , one barnyard mix and two Ragdolls... I personally caution you against making personality assumptions due to breed .... My Ragdolls are both not lap cats and even though they came to me as kittens - have been the shyest of the bunch. Both prefer to lay close to me but not on my lap - likely because all that fur makes them hot easily. None of them fetches toys and I cannot attest to their dog like behavior as all my cats follow me around and all my cats love water. My Ragdolls were the ones that took the longest to become cozy and trusting with us. They are every bit as playful as the other ones and if given the chance ... would make excellent hunters. There are some character traits however I love with the Raggies :... they are laid back and even as now teenage kittens - they have always been soft pawed... I have never gotten scratched by the Raggies even as kittens, they do not seek confrontation and are easy going with the other cats. Keep in mind that Ragdolls are HUGE cats ... my 10 months old " babies " are well over 12 lb and not an oz of chubbiness- we expect them to be 15-20lb easily as adults . They will need larger than normal litterboxes and carriers ( and you better be prepared for the weight of an 20 lb bundle of love ). They are medium to long haired and shed - there is great variety in fur structure with Ragdolls but they don't do too well in extreme heat and need regular brushing ... they are amazing groomers and will keep their fur in good condition but ... a deshedding session with a rubber brush will have you covered head to toe in fluff and that fluff will be everywhere during spring and fall and anytime in between. Their fur doesn't bother my allergic husband nearly as much as the barnyard mix kitty. The fur of a Ragdoll is however ... highly addictive ... there is nothing like it ... so soft, cottony goodness ... you can't resist petting them! Their looks will definitely get them attention as well ... all visitors immediately point out the Raggies for their majestic beauty ... I think Raggies and Spynx come in all kinds of personalities... super easy going to crazy - with kittens - their upbringing is likely more important for their temperament than the breed . My advice is to find a breeder who spends time with their kittens and get the most well socialized kitten you can find. Focus less on breed and more on the environment the cats come from , the queens, health... My siamese mixes are my most cuddly but also needy cats - they crack me up with their personalities ... but all 5 of my cats have their very own personalities - from in your face friendly to shy and reserved ... to independent ... not two are the same and I have two sisters ( Siamese) and two brothers ( Ragdolls) - their temperaments even from the same litter varies like day and night.