Are some cats better off being rehomed?

mluwong

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, we took a stray cat off the streets about eight weeks ago, who had been getting into fights outside with my original cat. We already had two cats at this point, an adult male that I had gotten as a kitten from someone giving him away, and an adult female that we took in as a stray. They are both neutered, and they tolerate each other well enough. They don't go far outside, usually sitting in my garden or underneath my window.
Anyway, I thought that by taking in the outside stray cat he who causing trouble, I could acclimate him into being one of our cats after we got him neutered (the first day we took him in, I also brought him to a shelter just to check if he had a microchip, and posted his information online to make sure he didn't belong to anyone.) I set him up in his own room, with his own vertical climbing spaces, litter box, food area, hiding spaces, etc. Unfortunately, during his quarantine, my youngest son accidentally let my other cat in to see him, and there was a really vicious battle that was truly horrifying, my original cat was screaming as he was being mauled and tons of his fur was being ripped out, and my children were screaming and sobbing. I decided to give the new cat another chance since I knew they can be aggressive when they are intact, and his neutering appointment was later that week. That was four weeks ago.
I have carefully read all the articles about how to slowly introduce cats. I have let them use different rooms at different times so that they can get used to each other scents. I bought the Feliway multicat pheromone plug-ins. I put the new cat in a crate (for a brief part of each day) so the other cats could see him without being in fear of being attacked, and I gave them all treats when looking at each other to try to create positive associations. The articles said I should switch off which cat is in the crate, so last night, for the first time, I put my original male cat in the crate and let the new cat out of his room to see him. The new cat immediately lunged for the crate and viciously began clawing into it, and my original cat began the horrible screaming again, writhing to try to get away. And my kids also screamed and sobbed again.
I am debating calling the vet and asking if they think giving the new cat calming medication would help, but I'm torn as to whether or not I should go that route or just throw in the towel. I have read that introducing cats takes patience, but if these two are not meant to get along, I don't know if I am delaying the inevitable by keeping the new stray cat. My original two cats had their squabbles initially, but never anything near this level of violence. The new cat is now neutered and up to date on his shots, so hopefully he would have a good shot at a good home if I were to bring him to a no-kill shelter. What does everyone think?

flybear

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Some cats do not get along ... this is the short answer ... of course there are ways you can - over a very long period of time - try to make it work ... neutering takes months to really lower the hormones. However .. cats are not like dogs - they do not have the same hierarchies where they have an alpha but instead ... they are social with other cats they like or grew up with ... most outside male cats are NOT fond of other males and will not tolerate them in their territory unless they are brothers or a father/ son duo ( and even then ... ) . And this territorial behavior is instinctual and very hard to modify ... I would not force my cats to live with a cat that they absolutely seem to be either terrified of or don't like. It CAN work but we are taking many months and years of very careful introductions and stress for everyone ... some battles are worth fighting ... in some cases ... it might be a better idea to find a cat a placement where they can relax and be the only king of their castle ...

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Four weeks is a long time. Some folks have done processes of months in length, but I can't tell you how often that actually helps. Given the neutering, its reasonable to try again, but at the same time, I don't think its wrong to start thinking that this cat might be better as an only cat.

If possible, something like double stacked baby gates in the door is preferable to the crate approach because you can just leave them up, and the cats get 5 or 10 times more time to adjust. Many people have built homemade contraptions to do this. I think its also less stressful for the confined cat, especially if the other cat attacks the gates. With a proper setup, you can even view an attack on the gates as a good thing, allowing it to be safely gotten out of the system.

Cat McCannon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yes, it may be better to rehome the stray.

It sounds like the visual introductions were rushed. If you try again, stay with scent & site swapping and avoid visual contact until the stray has time to get settled in and used to the scent of the other cats.

When visual introductions are resumed, have blankets and cardboard ready to stop the fights and cut visual contact. I also suggest you sit your children down and explain to them how cats can be and that crying and carrying on when something like this happens only stresses the kitties more and makes the situation worse. Tell them it's ok if they wait until the problem is dealt before they go somewhere away from the kitties and cry for them.

I'm not suggesting you try again. You've done your part with compassion and love. It's time to consider if it's best for all concerned to let someone else do theirs.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

mluwong

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, thank you both for your replies. I did leave a message with my vet's office about possibly putting the new cat on medication, but when they call back I think I will have a discussion about whether this whole endeavor is worth pursuing, because I don't want to further compromise the safety of my original male cat. The crate introduction did work okay with my female cat, so maybe this cat could find a home with female cats. I think I will call some of the no-kill shelters and see if there are any openings so that I can make a decision.

mluwong

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, thank you for the most recent reply about the visual introductions possibly being rushed, so I will consider the option of just completely cutting off visual contact for a while and rubbing them with vanilla and letting them swap scents before trying again. It's not an easy decision as to whether to keep trying or try to find him a better home; we have become attached to the new cat but I do want what's best for all cats involved.

mluwong

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So, after speaking to the vet, she said the medication was worth a try, so the new cat has his appointment at the beginning of July, and I'm actually going to completely cut off any visual introductions with my other cats until August, because we have a two-week summer vacation coming up and I don't want to start medication or anything until after that since the neighbor will be coming in to leave them food (I really hope she doesn't mess up keeping them separate). In August, I will gradually start visual introductions again, and I am going to use the stacked baby gate idea, but I think I would need three stacked baby gates because both cats can jump pretty high. And that will be my last attempt at trying to get these cats to tolerate each other.

Cat McCannon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Just keep in mind, the cats have final say as to when it's the right time to begin visual contact.

"Humans Plan and Cats Laugh" -Old Kittish saying

mluwong

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Just keep in mind, the cats have final say as to when it's the right time to begin visual contact.

"Humans Plan and Cats Laugh" -Old Kittish saying
What does that mean? It's not time to start visual contact until they stop hissing at each other through the door? And I decided just to board the new cat in a kennel when we go on vacation because I don't want to have to worry about it. I hope all the effort will be worth it in the end.

Cat McCannon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
What does that mean? It's not time to start visual contact until they stop hissing at each other through the door?
In general, yes. If they are still hissing at each other's scent, it's not time for visual contact.

If they are hissing at each other's scent during feeding time, move their dinner plates further apart until you find a distant where they will tolerate each other as they eat. At the next feeding, you can move the plates a bit closer. If either one starts hissing again, the plates are too close. Keep doing this until the plates are just on the other side of the door from each other. Then you can think about initiating visual contact.

I decided just to board the new cat in a kennel when we go on vacation because I don't want to have to worry about it.
Excellent idea!

I hope all the effort will be worth it in the end.
It will be. If it works out, you'll have a good cat. If you have to rehome the stray, your heart will have peace knowing you did everything in your power and this is the best option.

mluwong

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
In general, yes. If they are still hissing at each other's scent, it's not time for visual contact.

If they are hissing at each other's scent during feeding time, move their dinner plates further apart until you find a distant where they will tolerate each other as they eat. At the next feeding, you can move the plates a bit closer. If either one starts hissing again, the plates are too close. Keep doing this until the plates are just on the other side of the door from each other. Then you can think about initiating visual contact.

Excellent idea!

It will be. If it works out, you'll have a good cat. If you have to rehome the stray, your heart will have peace knowing you did everything in your power and this is the best option.
Thank you for all of your help! I will do that with moving the food bowls slowly closer to the door. I had moved them far apart after they wouldn't approach the bowls so close to the door and I never tried to slowly move them back close again. I just skipped right to putting the new cat in the crate and trying to offer everybody treats, so I did rush the first non-visual step then. Thank you for your encouragement and reassurance.

Cat McCannon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
You're welcome! Thank you for being open to finding a solution for your cat and willing to try again.