Are No Kill Shelters Still "allowed" To Kill Kittens?

saleri

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I heard that no kill shelters are allowed to kill kittens, and still be considered no kill. How old/young do the kittens have to be, for them to be still considered no kill?

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not sure exactly what you mean, but I suppose you mean the kittens young enough to be "unadoptable"? Since a shelter might still call themselves "no-kill" if they kill unadoptable animals. Some states don't allow shelters to adopt out kittens under 8 weeks, so I suppose any kitten under that age would be "unadoptable". In states with no minimum, it would probably be any kitten who isn't eating solid food.

Well, there's nobody who controls what a shelter calls themselves, so I think it would come down to individual policies. You could call and ask about that particular shelter's policies.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

saleri

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm not sure exactly what you mean, but I suppose you mean the kittens young enough to be "unadoptable"? Since a shelter might still call themselves "no-kill" if they kill unadoptable animals. Some states don't allow shelters to adopt out kittens under 8 weeks, so I suppose any kitten under that age would be "unadoptable".

Well, there's nobody who controls what a shelter calls themselves, so I think it would come down to individual policies. You could call and ask about that particular shelter's policies.
Okay just curious. Cause I read that a shelter can still kill kittens under 8 weeks, and be considered a no kill shelter.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, some shelters have a loose meaning of "unadoptable" :(. But good shelters (even some kill shelters) have foster programs for kittens who are too young. So that's why you'd have to ask on an individual basis.

Purrrfectttales

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My understanding is that "no-kill" shelters don't kill animals due to lack of space even if they are young. Typically only very sick animals who can't be saved are euthanized. Young kittens are fostered out until they are old enough to be adopted.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Supposedly "no kill" shelters only euthanize those who are ill or blatantly unadoptable, for example a dog who might be a risk due to aggression. But now you have opened up a question of semantics....are little kittens "ill" because they need extra care? If you are in a situation with new kittens, try to get a straight answer. A well known city (not Los Angeles) shelter near here has been shown to play fast and loose with stats in that situation. So has a private no kill shelter who years ago would put unadopted animals in the street and then call AC and tell them to pick up a "stray."

surya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I saw the youtube video about it, it sounds like they don't have to include the killing of bottle feeding kittens in their numbers for determing if they can get a no-kill designation.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know this isn't quite the same, but does that mean if a cat or dog needs a pill a day, it could be considered unadoptable?

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The designation "NO-KILL" means a shelter has achieved a 90% "live release rate" meaning 10% are not "live releases". Kittens, especially neonates/bottle feeders, are the most vulnerable because they require much more frequent and complex care and feeding than other shelter residents. This is why fostering is URGENTLY, DESPERATELY NEEDED for families and especially for orphaned kittens. As for the matter you are inquiring about, K Kflowers , I am guessing that that would depend on the shelter's policy, since there may be guidelines but ultimately, the call is made by shelter personnel. Many will go the extra mile and do all they can to save lives, especially if they are not overcrowded and severely pressed for time and labor.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My understanding is that "no-kill" shelters don't kill animals due to lack of space even if they are young. Typically only very sick animals who can't be saved are euthanized. Young kittens are fostered out until they are old enough to be adopted.
It's the same here in my town. Babies are fostered out.