Are My Litter Boxes Too Close?

Kittykat1998

Cat mom of 2 male tuxedo kitties.
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey, so I have 3 cats and we recently moved to a smaller home. We used to have 4 litter boxes, 2 upstairs and 2 downstairs. But now I only have 3 boxes due to space. Now we’re basically on one level, so all 3 are in the main area of the home. I have 1 in the living room, 1 in my room and 1 in the room next to mine. I’ll post a pic of the ones in the bedroom. Are they too close?

Attachments

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
As long as the boxes are in separate places they should be fine. Some cats may not like them so close to a doorway, though, where they can be easily disturbed. Could you move at least one of those boxes farther into the room?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I think you are fine, but agree with jcat jcat that the one so close to the doorway, could be moved a little father in the room if that is possible? If you are not seeing any issues with where they are placed, in terms of use - or lack of - you could be OK as is!

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
I also have three cats, none of whom like each other very much. I have three boxes together in one room (an unused spare bedroom) and one box in the bathroom next door. I’ve had that set up for a year and a half and it seems to be okay with them. Like so many things when it comes to cats, it seems to depend on the cat. If yours seem fine with it and, most importantly, are using the boxes, then you’re probably okay! If you can’t move the box in the doorway, as others have suggested, you can just avoid walking by when one of the cats is in the box.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kittykat1998

Cat mom of 2 male tuxedo kitties.
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you everyone for the feedback! So I left the giant litter pan in the guest room doorway and the moved the smaller one under my desk (which i rarely use) in my room. Hopefully this makes more sense haha.

Attachments

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hope it works! You can also buy a corner box. Personally I’m for a bigger open litter box under the desk ..... especially if you got rid of one box. If they stop using the small box then I guess move it back to where it was.