Are my kitties fighting or playing?

toddypu

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey all. I  adopted a 8.5 week old kitten sunday. I have a female cat (Meow Meow) who is 1, spayed, and is used to being alone. I also had her since she was 7-8 weeks old. She is very social and loving, but in preparation for my new kitten's arrival, I purchased an enclosed mesh pen, moved her litter pan into the living room because I keep the kitten in the bedroom at night and when I'm not home, and I started keeping her out of the bedroom at night so the change wouldn't be too sudden. From Sunday-Tuesday, I kept my new kitten (a boy named Indiana Jones Cuz-He's-An-Explorer-And-****) in my room, while maintaining interactions with Meow Meow. As expected, Meow Meow hissed and growled at items with his scent, and the bedroom door. On Tuesday night, during their feeding time, I fed Indiana in the living room with Meow Meow. I left him in the pen for safety. As expected, she sniffed around and hissed at him. This continued for about a half an hour until she just started to ignore him. I continued to bring him into the pen so they could interact safely. Last night, I let him out of the pen for a while just to see how Meow Meow would react. She didn't hiss at him or growl. They actually started chasing each other around the living room. They took a break for dinner, and continued to chase each other. There was no wrestling or play fighting; just chasing. Eventually, they fell asleep near each other.

Today, I left Indiana out for most of the day (under my supervision of course). Meow Meow hasn't hissed or growled, but they've started wrestling. What concerns me is Indiana would be under Meow Meow, on his side with his ears flat and meow loudly while Meow bites him. I don't know how hard she's biting, but it's his meowing that worries me. But as soon as she lets up, he jumps up, and chases her until she pins him again. There's no hissing, growling, or puffy tails. Her ears stay raised, but his go flat when pinned. They do stop and lay near each other, or Indiana would hide under the couch. In all fairness I think he just likes to be under the couch because he sleeps under my bed. Also, even though I bought a second litter box for Indiana, they share both litter boxes.

There's really no drama between them, but there's no loving behavior like grooming either. Am I just being a worry-wort, or is Meow Meow really hurting Indiana?

P.S. Here's them sleeping after a wrestling match.

Also Indiana is a chatterbox. He talks all of the time, and I talk back. Meow Meow is starting to talk back too, and I think they're plotting on getting to the treats. I just want to give you guys as much info as possible.

Last edited:

justjoops

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think meow meow is asserting her dominance and control over the little new one.  Be careful it doesn't get out of control.  My femaile black and white does the same thing to the young kitten (her daughter if you don't mind) but occasionally I have to intervene as she can get really nasty. 

the3rdname

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Omg, the sweet little sleeping baby!  What a cutie pie he is, and I'm sure his big sister is adorable, too 
  (Her coat is very pretty, at any rate!)  I have two kittens that also have spots on their tummies and, geez, I can never get over the cuteness.  Not that I would want to.

I agree with Justjoops about Meow Meow asserting her dominance over Indiana.  It's important for the established cat of the household to let the newcomer know who the Top Cat is; a comfortable hierarchy is necessary for peace in a multicat household.  In my experience, some kittens are just complainers.  Some aren't submissive by nature and don't willingly or happily accept their lower status in the pecking order at first.  Everything gets worked out in the end, though (usually).  The important thing is that he isn't running away or hiding after these encounters, he's turning right around and initiating play with Meow Meow- that's a good sign.  

It is possible that Meow Meow, while not actually hurting Indiana, may be taking things a little too far for comfort, and you can always throw in a little distraction when Indy starts to complain.  A loud clap or whistle: noises are usually enough to break their concentration and encourage them to move on to something else.  Sometimes the established cat gets insecure and anxious that the little upstart is going to start taking all her things and bossing *her* around, so she goes overboard in trying to prevent that from happening.  If she starts displaying signs of stress (alterations in behavior, increased vocalization, excessive grooming, etc.), you might want to keep them separated for longer periods at first.  Some cats go with the flow and will accept a newcomer immediately, others need more time to mentally adapt.  

As far as mutual grooming, cuddling up together, stuff like that, that comes with time.  And not all kitties become best buds...sometimes they play together and treat each other more like roommates, but you have to give them some time to get to know each other before they decide what the nature of their relationship will ultimately be.  They really do seem to be getting along very well.  I've never had kitties get along so well so quickly, so I'm jealous!  

Enjoy your new baby!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

toddypu

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Fortunately, they seem to be getting along great. They sleep together, groom one another, and play all the time. They even share food (although I'm trying to stop meow from doing that). It seems I was just being a worry wart.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
That's such a cute picture..

So glad things are going well. 

meowstheword

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey!! I use to have a cat named Meow-Meow!
I just had to say that first :)

Also, I have tux (Shake), and he is the dom in the house. He occasionally asserts himself by pouncing on his brothers and holds them down by biting their necks. They don't seem to mind too much....because 5 mins later they are grooming one another :) it's all in their nature. You just gotta let them be who they are; as long as it doesn't go TOO far.