Are My Kittens Just Growing Up? :-(

LanaS

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi Everyone. We have two Birman kittens - one is 10 months old and the other 9 months. They could not be more polar opposites but get along very well and play together. Our little 9 months one (Rogue), has started eating less, playing less and is so jumpy. She's never been one to be picked up and cuddled unless it's bed time - then she'll literally sleep in your arms under the blanky the whole night purring away, or even sleep on top of your chest. This morning while lying in my arms half asleep and putting a mile a minute, she suddenly hissed at me and just carried on purring. So confusing.

We went away on holiday for 3 weeks, but didn't want to upset the kittens routine and life. We got our parents in law to come stay in our house and take care of the kittens. The kittens know them and love them (will sleep on their laps and follow them around the house as well). So we didn't think it would cause too much of stress for them while we were away. Our parents in law left a week ago and it's just been us with the kittens now. We don't have kids, so you can imagine these two kittens are our lives. They have everything and so much more. We make a point to also play with them every evening after work, so they do get stimulated enough as well.

I'm thus a little perplexed as to why my little Rogue is displaying traits of a cat in distress by eating less and being so jumpy. Please help :-)

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Have you checked in with your vet? A cat eating less is a sign of possible health issues, so I'd recommend at least giving them a call to see what they think.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
By all means, contact your vet and have your little one checked. This may be a bit of nothing, but...better safe than sorry, and it is always worrisome when a young cat that age isn't eating and playing normally.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

LanaS

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Tnx guys - will definitely be making a stop at the vet.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Let us know what s/he says, please! You have a community behind you now.

OH...sorry, I was so out of it yesterday I forgot to say, WELCOME TO TCS!

pupaaapu

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Have your cats been spayed or neutered? I know that cats in heat could have bad temper and lose appetite.
Anyways, hope ur kitten is well!!

-----------------
Leslie
Ins:pUPAAAPU