Are My Cat's Teeth Bad?

nikkotuason

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello,

I finally figured out how to access the back of my cat's mouth and discovered that his molars don't look very healthy? How bad are his teeth? Will a cleaning be enough or is he going to need an extraction?

Thank you

Nikko

Attachments

aimeedanielle

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm not sure whether a cleaning or extraction will be necessary but my cat's gums look very similar and I was told he was at risk for severe gingivitis. Since then I've brushed his teeth and gums daily and they've improved greatly! I'm not sure if this would be feasible with your cat because I know mine is very laidback compared to most.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! There's no way for us to know whether an extraction will be necessary, but yes, a cleaning will do a lot to bring his mouth back to a healthier state of being, which will then be much healthier for his heart and the rest of his organs.

The teeth, unfortunately, have an enormous impact on the rest of the body, particularly the heart.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nikkotuason

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
May I ask what you used to brush your cat's teeth? I'd love to use human toothpaste but that contains some type of sugar and my cat remission from diabetes. He came with a plethora of problems when I adopted him including mild gingivitis which resulted in two teeth extractions.

Thank you

I'm not sure whether a cleaning or extraction will be necessary but my cat's gums look very similar and I was told he was at risk for severe gingivitis. Since then I've brushed his teeth and gums daily and they've improved greatly! I'm not sure if this would be feasible with your cat because I know mine is very laidback compared to most.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
May I ask what you used to brush your cat's teeth? I'd love to use human toothpaste but that contains some type of sugar and my cat remission from diabetes.

No, never use Human toothpaste for a pet. Many brands contain xylitol which is toxic to pets. Use only pet toothpaste. Most pet stores sell pet toothpaste in various pet friendly flavors. Online pet supply web sites will also have pet toothpaste and toothbrushes. I use the CET brand in poultry flavor.

A dental cleaning done by the vet will address any current dental issues and gives you a good starting point to start home dental care.

aimeedanielle

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
May I ask what you used to brush your cat's teeth? I'd love to use human toothpaste but that contains some type of sugar and my cat remission from diabetes. He came with a plethora of problems when I adopted him including mild gingivitis which resulted in two teeth extractions.

Thank you
It's one I had found in my local pet store, I honestly don't even think it's flavoured... it's just labelled as pet toothpaste. I bought it because it came with a pet toothbrush as well as a finger brush! I've heard good things about the chicken flavoured paste as mentioned above though!

nikkotuason

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for all the help! I've gone ahead and booked an appointment with the vet since I've noticed hes hardly been eating and is very lethargic lately.

nikkotuason

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Just an update: My cat has Advanced Periodontal Disease which he will need at least two back molars removed, which will cost me two thousand dollars.... I guess I won't eat for a while LOL! This we will do for the ones we love right?!

nikkotuason

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hahaha thanks for asking hopefully I'll be okay! I've still got family members so I dont end up in the street LOL! I can't say no to this, I have a soft spot for animals.

Thank you

Attachments

aimeedanielle

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Just an update: My cat has Advanced Periodontal Disease which he will need at least two back molars removed, which will cost me two thousand dollars.... I guess I won't eat for a while LOL! This we will do for the ones we love right?!
Thanks for the update! Hopefully this has him feeling like a kitten again! He's a real cutie with that curly belly.

2azwildcats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Gosh, I don’t know where you are located but I had to have all of my cat’s teeth pulled and it was less than $2,000. I had some teeth pulled one year and the rest the next. This included anesthesia both times, laser treatment and pain medication. So $2,000 for two teeth seems to be a lot.