Are my cats siamese?

garylazereyes

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey! I am new to this site, although it has helped me with many trivial stages through my life as a cat mom! About 5 months ago we adopted a brother and sister into our home. The boy, Natsu, is the only one in the litter who inherited the mothers markings (She was a beautiful white kitty with orange marking on her head & tail.) However the sister, Yuki, looks more Siamese to me, as did the 4 other kittens in the litter who looked just like her. When we first got her she was snow white, but now she's more of a creamy beige, and she has the markings on her face that resemble a siamese, but also that of a tabby. Natsu, on the other hand, kind of has the face shape of a Siamese. I never saw any siamese cats roaming around where we found the kittens, however I did see a gorgeous tabby. Now, I know it may seem obvious that their father was the tabby, and it does make the most sense but as my kittens grow older, I notice more and more things that I've heard are common in Siamese cats. They are both a little cross-eyed, (Natsu more-so than Yuki) and boy oh boy is Natsu a talker. He makes a very odd duck-sounding call (I love it!) especially when mom is in another room with the door closed. Anyways, I've attached pictures from when they were young & also more recent ones. Let me know what you think. :) 

- Yuki (left) & Natsu (right) when we first adopted them

- Yuki as a kitten

- Natsu presently

- Yuki presently (with boyfriend Gary)

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Do you have good photos on the mom?  When I read your post, I got the impression all kittens are points "siamese mixes",  the first pic seemed to confirm it;  your little boy being a blue lynx point,  while the girl a creme lynx point...   Lynx = tabby point, creme = diluted red.

But the equation doesnt add.  With ALL kittens points, its practically impossible with both parents being just carriers, not pointed themselves.  (having seeing any firebreathing dragons lately? No?  Not even a witch flying on her broomstick?  Even not this?   So the parents cant be just carriers).

One point, one carrier non point, is more probable, but barely possible -

The only safe bet is this on both parents being points.     OR, not all kittens true points.

So, the sis, whom looks very siamese-alike, IS she really a point?   What is the color of her eyes?   As blue as the boy?

If the ration is half half, it would explain nicely a mom whom is a point, and a dad whom is a more common tabby, not pointed himself.   So I think your mom is a point too.

OR, if mom is not point, but that tabby wasnt the real father.  A pointed "siamese-mix"  showed up in the last moments, and did his duty.

White gene is strong by itself, it can give both true white spots  (or rather, white spot gene does it), and even conceal other colors - a cat whom genetically do have other colors, may got them hidden by white, the white gene suppressing  the others.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

garylazereyes

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thankyou for all your help, StefanZ!
I do not have a photo of the mother, unfortunately! I was wanting to go back and visit the kitties in the area so if I do, I'll be sure to take one! however i did some searching and i found one a picture of a cat that i think looks exactly like her.

she looks exactly like the brother but her orange is a little darker and theres more on the top of her head, not just on the ears like his is!

so, you think it is likely that the mom's white genes just diluted the tabby colouring and concealed it so that they were only left with the tabby markings on their face and tail? That's what I was thinking, but as they got older I really wanted a second opinion, because everyone who walks into my house swears she's a siamese! But that does make complete sense. 
I even asked the man who had been taking care of the litter at the time if he'd seen a siamese around, and he said no. There was also a tabby in the litter too, if that helps? Also a black kitty, and a calico (but those both the black male and the calico male were seen, so thats why they are that colour) Just made me wonder if the white concealed all the other kitties tabby markings, why that little guy wasn't concealed. (but I guess genetics can do some pretty amazing things)

As for the eyes, the boys eyes are such an ultra-violet blue, and very very icy with lots of white/gold. Hers on the other hand, are still very blue but not quite as bright and pale as his. 

(here you can see her eyes)

I'm starting to lean more towards that, like you said, the mom could be a point and the father was the tabby. Let me know what you think :) 

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The photo of the mom look alike is definitely a creme point.   So its settled then.

And you say, there were also kittens in the litter whom were not point alike at all?   Ok, so it settles than.  Mom point, dad not point but carrier, gives the theoretical ration of half points half not points but carriers.

You mention a tabby, a blackie, and a calico.   Male calico - male torties arent that common.

In unsure cases, look at the eyes - its almost always blue,   also, on points, the tail and ears are always darker than the body.  The masque on the face too - but its sometimes hidden - by white for example, if the point carries white.    Or the tabby markings on the face are sometimes so big, you dont notice they ARE the masque. "you dont see the woods because of all the trees" like the swedish proverb says.

Yeah, I understand the boy is a handsome point - its the girl Im wondering a little on.   I would appreciate to have more of good photos on her, and especielly see the eyes - are they blue?

Also  the ears / head from backside, the tail I have seen.  :)

Re the white, I suspect we can forget it for the moment.  Or I will return, perhaps tomorrow.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

garylazereyes

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Here are some photos of the girl :) (she's the one with the dark markings) 

The boy has the same markings on his face, ears, and tail but they are orange and faint. However, as he gets older the orange gets darker and his masque is becoming more defined :) 

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise

The boy has the same markings on his face, ears, and tail but they are orange and faint. However, as he gets older the orange gets darker and his masque is becoming more defined :)