Are male cats aggressive to kittens?

amandak

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
HI guys !!

I have a 2 year old Male cat who is  very to himself and i have had him since he was a little kitten. He was desexed at a young age and is very spoilt. He is not the type to kill any birds or mice. He is very relaxed, lays around the house, inside and out. I have purchased a brand new kitten. She is a female and is only 2 weeks old. Will he harm her? I'm not sure how he will react, he is territorial but never aggressive. What do you think ??

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise

HI guys !!

I have a 2 year old Male cat who is  very to himself and i have had him since he was a little kitten. He was desexed at a young age and is very spoilt. He is not the type to kill any birds or mice. He is very relaxed, lays around the house, inside and out. I have purchased a brand new kitten. She is a female and is only 2 weeks old. Will he harm her? I'm not sure how he will react, he is territorial but never aggressive. What do you think ??
He will hopefully adopt her and take care of her.  She is awfully young!  That is really a case of emergency orphan care!

Otherwise, nay he is not a danger as meant in this tread.  What danger is, some adult cats dont really knows what small kitens are, and are afraid of them.  Hissing, may even swat.  Not of aggressivity, but in sheer defence.

Another danger, is he may play too much with it, not realizing she is THAT small.

So, try to get some of his scents on her.  Or at least, YOUR scent on her, and let them meet.  You being there and watching till you are sure he is friendly and hopefully taking care of her.

Which I think he will, being so nonaggressive.

Good luck!

Last edited:

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise

HI guys !!

2 weeks is very very young to be away from her mother. We normally recommend they stay with Mum until at least 12 weeks. What happened to her mother, is she still around?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

amandak

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I know. The kitten was given to me to look after by a farmer as the mother is not around anymore. Passed away during the storm unfortunately. [emoji]128542[/emoji]

amandak

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
2 weeks is very very young to be away from her mother. We normally recommend they stay with Mum until at least 12 weeks. What happened to her mother, is she still around?
Unfortunately the mother passed away last week during a heavy storm. Her litter survived and now farmer and I are taking care of them.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise

amandak

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh, poor little things. I'm glad you found them in time. If you need any advice about taking care of young kittens please ask in our Pregnant Cats and Kittens forum.

http://www.thecatsite.com/f/36/pregnant-cats-and-kitten-care

Here's an article you might find useful.

http://www.thecatsite.com/a/hand-rearing-kittens

Thank you for taking care of her.

Good luck.
She is doing well. she is so so dirty though. I really need to wash her she has pee stains, muddy paws and dirty ears. What do you recommend I do? :(

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise