Are "love bites" really love!

kittyfostermom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Some people say love bites mean that the cat loves you, but what does the cat say about these so called love bites? lol! I do get them but not to sure how to perceive them. Any thoughts?

tulosai

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I can only speak for me but I view all biting as bad biting and 100% discourage it.  I ignore my cats or time out them after they bite.  One never does it anymore; the other does it so rarely it is a total non issue (but whenever he does my response is the same- bad kitty and time out).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittyfostermom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm with you and agree fully, but this is a shelter cat and she's a nursing mom, so i'm not sure that now is the time to correct her for it, she is plenty stressed. When I foster kittens, yes, I correct or redirect the nipping with toys. With the mommy not sure if I should just leave it for now. After she is done nursing she will be going back to the shelter to be spayed then up for adoption. I went in to see my supervisor today and mentioned it to her and she said to make sure it is written on her history sheet. It isn't hard at all, but I do fully agree with you. I know with our dogs we never allowed it, ever. Maybe people use this name as an excuse? not sure. Still learning a lot about cats. Not sure what would work with her, I've only had them for 2 weeks the kittens are now a month old. Oh!!! I know what I can do, I can put her down on the floor tell her no and ignore her for a few minutes. How does that sound? Do you think she would get the message? Also any ideas on how I can encourage her to play with toys, she shows no interest at all, or is it because she is tired from all her nursing? or maybe she's a cat that doesn't like toys?