Are Cats behavior stuck for life?

payaza2000

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
For example can an adult feral cat become unferal? Can a cat that absolutely hates other cats be conditioned to live with other cats? Can a cat that is extremely shy around strangers suddenly become outgoing? Do genes play any role?

These questions are just for general knowledge, curious if cats are able to "evolve." Or is their behavior static..

Here's a picture of Flea:

Last edited:

ruaryx

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Over the years, my cat has changed.  She used to be really scared of going outside but now she tries to sneak out to explore.  She used to be scared of strangers but when I had to live with 3 roommates, she really liked them.    

I don't have any personal experience with ferals, but if you look at some old threads on this site, there are a bunch of stories about socializing feral adults successfully.  I'm sure they'll still be skittish around strangers, and they might never become lap cats, but they can learn to trust their owner and maybe enjoys pets.

My cat is 9 years old and she has been a single cat for 8 1/2 years.  When I took in my second cat, she went crazy hissing and growling and chasing.  Now, after about 11 months of slow introductions and one apartment move, she tolerates him.  Will they ever cuddle?  Maybe not.  Can I leave them alone together without one of them killing the other?  Yes.

So to answer your question, yes and no.  They can change, but to a degree IMO.

jahzara

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I would have to agree with Ruaryx. I saw all sorts of behavioral changes in my late cat over the years of having her. For instance, she started light headbutting after having her about 3 years. Something she never did before.

Just like with people, personalities are set when they are young. But people can learn to change and adopt new behaviors. It's a slow progression and varies from person to person, cat to cat.