Are Catnip Bubbles Safe For Your Kitty?

Colourcloud

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I posted this here, as I DIDN,t really see another acceptable forum. I am curious, do any of you let your kitty play with Catnip Bubbles? My 9 yr old kitty is kinda bored with most of his extreme variety of toys..but he likes looking at the bubbles and swatting at them. I hesitate to use them too often, as I am not sure they are safe. I just got a different brand,made in the US, by Catnip Garden, which say they have dish soap in them...which doesn,t seem very safe for his eyes, or if he gets one in his mouth, which has never happened..but the other two kinds seem to be kinda “iffy” too...one is made of some kinda plastic material, the other one, by Smartykat seems ok...but I just realized they are made in China too...and I am still unsure if these are safe for him.
Thanks for any responses.

aliceneko

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have some catnip bubbles but Toffee and Fudge hate them. Whenever I blow some for them, they always run to the other side of the room as if they were made of toxic materials. I've been wondering this too; though it might just be the cat's personal preference as I've seen various cats on the internet enjoying them.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
  • I'd want to know what kind of dish soap. Dawn is okay, anything else - I dunno. :dunno: I'd look for contact information for the company and ask for more information about the product.
  • Even just swatting at the bubbles, they will end up in his mouth, as soon as he grooms.
  • Every time I've tried to play with catnip bubbles with one of my cats the cat took one sniff, the bubble popped on her nose, and she refused to ever play with them again. Not, apparently, because of any toxicity, just because she didn't like having a bubble pop on/in her nose, for which I can't blame her - I'd feel the same way.
  • It should be possible to make your own, if you can't find any commercial bubbles you think are safe. Look for a bubble recipe for kids online, substitute strong catnip tea for the water in it and Dawn detergent for the soap. I'd avoid glycerin, though; the FDA has warned that at least one variety may be toxic. http://www.byronwhiteformulas.com/v...d-in-herbal-formulas-creates-health-problems/ (Glycerin is used to make the bubbles more sturdy.)
  • A kitten is probably too young to care about the catnip; I suspect all your kitten cares about are the bubbles. This is why he's using only his paws to play with them, not sniffing them.
Margret

engine4154

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Bonnie seems amused/fascinated by them. Clyde looks at them in terror. lol

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Colourcloud

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks, everyone! I appreciate the responses.