Are Cat People Eccentric ?

merlin2000

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Are cat people eccentric ?

My friend and me had this long conversation tonight about how cat people tend to be a bit on the eccentric side.

We both agreed that we both love our cats to the point it might be considered odd by other people.

My mum thinks I am crazy the way I talk about my cats she will say "They're not people David "

I don't mind people thinking I am a mad cat person , talking to them and lavishing love on them is what makes me and them happy.

I have human friends too and I hope I am just as nice to them.

Wouldn't we rather be thought of as eccentric mad cat people rather than boring none cat lovers ? 

Last edited by a moderator:

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
know  I'm eccentric.  
  But I'm happy.  If people ride me too hard about the cats, I tell them that I treat my cats better than most people treat their children.  And it's true.  I start giving examples and well, they can't think of much to say in return.  I do have Human Bean friends, and of my very best is an animal hater.  
 I am working to convert her.  
  Anyway, I'd rather be eccentric and interesting than dull and boring.  

picklespepper

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My husband and I like weird things.  It's probably why we like each other. ha ha  I don't quite qualify for a cat lady but I'm getting close.  I'm on a cat forum after all!  I think most of my friends would think I'm cat crazy simply for having two cats instead of one and keeping them indoors.  Not telling them I feed my kitties mostly canned food and lots of that is the grain-free kind.  I think they'd be shocked I buy the $20 kibble and not the $3 no-name stuff.  lol

But I refuse to be referred to as my cats' "mommy".  I did NOT give birth to them and they are not on the same level as my children.  But it's hard not to do that sometimes simply because I'm always referring to myself as 'mommy' around my children.  I also sometimes tell my cats to "use their words".  My life as a human mom is rubbing off on my life as a cat owner. 

fyllis

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That a difficult question! Eccentric means deviated from the 'norm' - but who determines what the 'norm' is? 

I not only talk to my cats, I have full conversations with them! They understand what I say (not that they always listen - but they DO understand!) and I am pretty good at cat-speak (I think?). I read to them and sing to them. I show them pics and videos of other cats on the computer. I have missed my TV show because, while channel flipping, Kricket was intrigued by a nature show that he just HAD to watch!

Is it abnormal to give your cats the best you can provide?

I read labels on their foods, treats and litter. I cut their food up for them, warm it up for them, purchased a water fountain which they love. They have more toys, tunnels, beds, blankets, and scratch posts and pads than the pet store does! (well, almost!) Their photos hang on my walls among those of my  family. They have the best in health care. I researched and interviewed five vets before choosing the one they have now. I am anxiously waiting for their double-decker stroller to arrive any day now so they can be taken on walks and be easily transported in comfort! 

I tend to their needs. I scoop their poop! They get groomed on a regular basis; including clipping their nails (NEVER declawing them!) and brushing them every chance I get. Their eyes, ears, teeth and skin is checked frequently. I 'man-scape'  Kricket on a regular basis to keep his hiney area free of 'debris'.

I respect their personalities and moods and demand that anyone who comes into their home give them the same respect! I have even gone as far as telling a 'friend-of-a-friend' that they had to leave because they refused to quit taunting one of my cats. Yup! I asked them to stop and they laughed and said they were 'just messing with him', and continued to aggravate my cat. I got up, opened the door and politely said, "You have to go! Disrespect my cats and you are disrespecting me"!  They were never welcomed back.

My daughter thinks (and has told me so) that I am nuts! LOL  Ironically, she was here just last night and stayed over. She brought her own pillow (one that didn't have cat hair on it).  And I had to look at her and chuckle when she walked in the door, reached down to pick Keeker up and said, "Come here and give your big sister a hug".  

They get disciplined when necessary and never punished for 'being cats'. 

Are they spoiled? Some would think so. I prefer to believe they are just extremely loved and well taken care of.

If any of that makes me eccentric, then so be it! I am eccentric! LOL  Then again, I think it's all normal!  

P.S. _ Yes, they call me Momma! I obviously didn't give birth to them, but I am the only momma they have ever known. 

Last edited:

lazer

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I got a cat stroller. I think that's "eccentric", but I can't tell anymore. 

fyllis

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can't wait to get the stroller! It's been a pain in the butt having to wait through the weekend for it to get here!

The reason I ordered this one is because I have two cats - close to 15 pounds each - and I only have one carrier. The last time we went to the vet it was almost comical because it was a chore trying to squeeze just one inside the carrier. Two would never fit! I ended up putting Keeker in the box and putting a leash on Kricket and slinging him over my shoulder (he's not completely leash trained yet and he preferred being drug that day). View media item 298620