Are Bellabear and Molly fighting or playing?

nujay

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My female cats chase each other around constantly. Most of the time it seems like they're play fighting. But every once in a while they'll start growling, puff up, ears back and fight. They don't seriously hurt each other...it usually ends with one or the other backing down. Bellabear is 1 and half and Molly is almost 1. Are they competing for dominance?

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Hi Nujay.... just wondering how long have you had them both, and how long has it being going on?

Are they both spayed?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nujay

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've had them both for about 6 months. I adopted them both from their first home. Their previous owner married someone in the military and they couldn't take them with when he got restationed. They are not spayed...although they're about to be soon. They have been fighting for the last couple months or so...but then they'll act like best friends.

Last edited:

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
It would be a good idea to get them spayed asap.  You'll likely find a change just from that. You're keeping them well and truly inside?.. you really don't need kittens as well..

They will settle into their own pattern, but if they get all fighty, can you distract them with a game?  Just playing with them regularly helps, as does having lots of playthings, distractions for them generally.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nujay

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh yeah, we live in an apartment so they are inside only. They have lots of toys...their fav right now is da bird. They also have lots of perches and scratching posts which they love. They only seem to get feisty with each other once in a while. I think some of the issue might be that Molly is still going through the adolescent crazies lol she always wants to play and Bellabear is not always into it.