Are Automatic Feeders A Good Idea?

tinshopcats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We're trying to come up with a better system for feeding our outside cats. We'd love the feeders that can be programmed to feed portioned amounts at certain times but it would be too expensive for as many as we'd need. We're considering gravity feeders, maybe diy versions made out of pvc pipes but we're worried that as much as they love their meal times they'd go through too much food.

Any suggestions?

abby2932

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I wouldn't worry about the cats going through too much food. Maybe in the beginning, they may overeat but once they get used to having food out all the time, they will self-regulate and only eat when they're hungry.

The main problem you'd have with gravity feeders is you may be feeding other wildlife in the area....raccoons, squirrels, rats, possums, etc. You'd also have to make sure the food isn't getting wet or moldy in the feeder over time.

I think mealtime feeding is the better option but if it's too inconvenient, gravity feeders are the next best thing.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tinshopcats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I wouldn't worry about the cats going through too much food. Maybe in the beginning, they may overeat but once they get used to having food out all the time, they will self-regulate and only eat when they're hungry.

The main problem you'd have with gravity feeders is you may be feeding other wildlife in the area....raccoons, squirrels, rats, possums, etc. You'd also have to make sure the food isn't getting wet or moldy in the feeder over time.

I think mealtime feeding is the better option but if it's too inconvenient, gravity feeders are the next best thing.
Thanks for responding! So, it should be a safe assumption to maybe buy a bag or 2 extra when we first give them the gravity feeders to account for them overeating at first but then after that, it should balance out and the overeating stop?

No worries with wildlife or food spoiling because we're building them a shed house with a big attached covered enclosure where they'll be transferring into and no longer be "wild" cats. The run will be roofed and the feeding section will be completely blocked off from the elements.