Are Animonda Milkies Safe For Adult Cats

Amryta

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi,

I have two 3 year old cats. They share a cup of Animonda Milkies each day (one cup is about 15g).
Animonda Milkies | Cat Snacks | Order | Vetsend.co.uk

I keep a close watch on their poo, and so far they seem to be digesting it well.

However Milkies are not lactose reduced, is it safe to continue giving this to my cats? Please advise.

Thanks in advance.

Best.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
I have never heard of this product before, but generally cats don't tolerate dairy products well. If you are going to give dairy to cats as a treat, goat's milk is generally the preferred option. I don't know what kind of milk they put in the Milkies though. :dunno:

Sorry I couldn't give you more info, hopefully by bumping up your thread, you'll get a more informed response.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
So long as your cats are tolerating them well, I can't see any harm in them. It's a very small quantity in any case. My old boy was obsessed with a particular local cheese, and Asha goes crazy for cheddar or parmesan. It didn't do either of them any harm to indulge from time to time, and that's pretty much the same as far as lactose is concerned.

Animonda is a good brand, and they wouldn't put out anything that was dangerous for kitties ;)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Amryta

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks a lot.

They seem to be tolerating it, however Sera puked this morning. This is the second puke this week.

Not sure whether the culprit is Milkies or something in the food etc. Though I'd been giving them Milkies every evening, so not sure if that'll cause her to puke the next morning, so have held back her Milkies for now.

I have been searching frantically for some goat milk in India, but have had no luck so far! That's for occasions like today, when she pukes and then refuses to eat for hours together! Not sure if the goat milk powder on Amazon is as palatable.

Thanks for writing in everyone. Appreciate your support.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'd more likely expect diarrhoea as a milk/lactose reaction than vomiting, especially so many hours later.

You say Sera vomited this morning. Was it before or after she'd had breakfast? Sometimes hyperacidity can trigger morning vomiting. In those cases, adding in a late night (or early morning) snack, or leaving some kibble out overnight for snacking, can resolve this issue.

If the vomiting becomes a regular thing, it might be worth speaking to your vet again - just to make sure there are no underlying issues (such as food allergies or IBD).

Try the goat milk powder if it's not too expensive. She might like it ;)

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ingredients:
  • Active: milk, dairy products, cereals (0.1% malt) and fruit (0.1%).
  • Balance: milk, dairy products and green tea (1%).
  • Harmony: milk, dairy products, cereals (0.1% malt) and fruit (0.1%).
  • Beauty: milk, dairy products and fruit (0.1%).
Analytical information: 6% protein, 7.5% fat, 0.2% crude fibre, crude ash 1.5% and moisture 76%.

---
Is there a calorie count on the package?

My concern, outside of cats being lactose intolerant, is that milk has a lot of calories. Are your kitties eating at least 200 calories each of nutritionally balanced cat food in addition to the Milkies? I would worry that they are displacing calories with a product that is not balanced.

Amryta

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'd more likely expect diarrhoea as a milk/lactose reaction than vomiting, especially so many hours later.

You say Sera vomited this morning. Was it before or after she'd had breakfast? Sometimes hyperacidity can trigger morning vomiting. In those cases, adding in a late night (or early morning) snack, or leaving some kibble out overnight for snacking, can resolve this issue.

If the vomiting becomes a regular thing, it might be worth speaking to your vet again - just to make sure there are no underlying issues (such as food allergies or IBD).

Try the goat milk powder if it's not too expensive. She might like it ;)
Hi,

Thank you for your reply.

She puked during breakfast. She wasn't eating with the normal gusto, barely had a couple of licks, and then went under the couch. Then had some more licks there and puked. Her appetite went for a toss throughout the day, yesterday.

Yes, I will consult the vet def. If it becomes regular. But it's been raining heavily here for the past couple of days, and other pet parents (based in India) have been telling me that heavy rains do bring on vomiting, though the vet mentioned that vomiting is not seasonal.

Food allergies - that's a tough one to figure out. I am not sure how IBD afflicts cats, will look that up.

There's another problem I've noticed in Sera, her breathing is far more rapid that Leo. I've never caught her panting, but at times even her resting respiratory rate is around 45-50. I asked the vet, he mentioned that constipation may cause an increased resp. rate. However she has a regular BM. I don't want to subject her to unnecessary probes, medical tests, but we haven't been able to figure out a reason for her rapid breathing, yet.

Thanks again for writing in.

Amryta

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ingredients:
  • Active: milk, dairy products, cereals (0.1% malt) and fruit (0.1%).
  • Balance: milk, dairy products and green tea (1%).
  • Harmony: milk, dairy products, cereals (0.1% malt) and fruit (0.1%).
  • Beauty: milk, dairy products and fruit (0.1%).
Analytical information: 6% protein, 7.5% fat, 0.2% crude fibre, crude ash 1.5% and moisture 76%.

---
Is there a calorie count on the package?

My concern, outside of cats being lactose intolerant, is that milk has a lot of calories. Are your kitties eating at least 200 calories each of nutritionally balanced cat food in addition to the Milkies? I would worry that they are displacing calories with a product that is not balanced.
Hi,

Thank you for your reply. Both my cats are on wet food only. Leo (male weight about 12 pounds) eats his share of nutritionally balanced food. Sera (female 9 pounds ) has always eaten less than the recommended amount of food (e.g. RC tin says a 10 lb cat should eat 3 tins, she eats about 2.25 tins a day. Both my cats are indoor, have been spayed / neutered. However she maintains her weight with this intake.

Milkies are essentially for Sera, to increase her calorie intake and esp. her liquid intake, since otherwise she'll go nowhere near water / bone broth / chicken soup.

Let me check the calorie values on Milkies, and share those in the next post.

Best.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wet canned food is usually 75% water so cats don't need to drink water in addition to wet food (only if you were also feeding dry food). My cats don't eat any dry food either, and my kitten never drinks out of her water bowl. My senior cat only drinks a tiny bit of extra water.

Amryta

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Wet canned food is usually 75% water so cats don't need to drink water in addition to wet food (only if you were also feeding dry food). My cats don't eat any dry food either, and my kitten never drinks out of her water bowl. My senior cat only drinks a tiny bit of extra water.
Hi,

Milkies 1 cup (15g) has about 17 kcal. Leo and Sera share a cup everyday, Leo has slightly more than Sera, so it's about 8 kcal for Sera and 9 for Leo.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's not bad at all. They must be using 0% fat skimmed milk. I think that's fine then for a treat and liquid intake.