Arabian Mau

RRiemke

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So I have had this cat for about 2 years when I adopted him at 2 months. I grew up with orange tabbies and wanted an orange tabby. Well he turned out to be unlike any of the tabbies I had. I'm in LA, California area and I've been trying to figure out his lineage. I know he's mixed but he is very exotic. I tried the google lens function on him and it said Arabian Mau. Although there aren't Arabian Maus I would think in the LA area but who knows. He is almost 18 lbs, high hind legs, big pouch and can stretch and jump super high. He definitely has the egyptian cat pose like the statues. He has dark ruddy coloring under his paws with an almost tan sand color and the spots/stripes and slightly tufted ears that are fairly large. To me he looks like he has some abyssisian or mau in him. The rescue vet though he had some bengal and he does have some glitter in his fur and a darker end of his tail. He is super smart and can open doors, cabinets and figure out how to get into stuff (much to my frustration sometimes) but he is super sweet but a playful biter. Fairly quiet cat. anyway just wondering what people thought his lineage could be. I know he is technically a DSH but I'm talking more about his mix of breeds. He is the most exotic and big cat I've ever had. Super tall and long long legs and limbs. He is a comedian as well - super funny. Thanks everyone!

Attachments

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Almost all cats (95-97% of cats) are simply domestic cats without specific breed ancestry. Unlike mixed breed dogs (which actually are mixes of breeds), it's not accurate to describe most cats as "mixed" because for the most part they don't have specific breed ancestry at all. There is tremendous diversity in the domestic cat population and you will see lots of variation in size, body build, color and behavior.

I would describe your big boy as a red tabby domestic shorthair, in the broken mackerel tabby pattern. He is very handsome and sounds like an entertaining fellow!

Google lens is not an accurate way to identify cats.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
On the last photo we see somewhat of his flanks and sides. There we see quite a some spots. So he prob may be counted as spotted tabby. (Spots on belly doesnt count - many tabbies have them)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

RRiemke

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
cool but tabby really isn't a breed. i know most cats are not specific breeds but like us as mutts we have some lineage so i'm just wondering why he is so big and exotic. so i guess i'm asking for more what you think his lineage could be. of course he's tabby.

Attachments

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

RRiemke

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
maybe i will take the cat dna test for fun.

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Most cats don't have a breed, and also aren't mixtures of breeds (or mutts). They are simply domestic cats, and we call them domestic shorthairs or longhairs. Cat "breeds" are a recent human invention.

Here's a link to the most accurate cat ancestry test currently available:
Cat Ancestry
The UC Davis Cat Ancestry test can tell you where in the world your cat's ancestors originated from, similar to a human DNA test. If your cat does happen to be a close match to a specific breed, the Cat Ancestry test will give you that result.

m3rma1d

NeoMaxiZoomDweebie
Super Cat
Purraise
Very handsome and rugged domestic short hair red tabby. :)