Approximate delivery day for this mama kitty?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sweetlynn86

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Pocus kittens are deceased. One kitten might still have a chance so polka is in surgery right now. I feel absolutely devastated

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Poor Polka. After all she's been through. I was afraid of this. I am so sorry. Was she able to birth any or was it right into surgery?

How are you holding up?

sweetlynn86

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Polka had 4 beautiful kittens. A white long hair, a white and orange tabby, and 2 almost black tortoiseshell. Unfortunately, all 4 had meconium in their sacks and couldn't be revived. Polka is doing okay though and I'm grateful for that.

danaj

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Omg! I'm so sorry. ..I'd be devastated too. Thank goodness you took her in. Her some rest, both of you. So sorry again.

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
@sweetlynn86   I'm so glad Polka is ok.  I'm sorry she lost all her kittens.    Sounds like you have a good vet, at least you know why the kittens didn't survive.  Keep us updated on Polka and yourself.

jeapa507

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am so very sorry that Polka lost all of her kittens, but I am relived that she is going to be ok. I am praying for your family.

old possum

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Dear Sweetlynn86,  I just found out what happened with Polka and I am so glad that her suffering has finally come to an end. I'm sorry about the kittens but these things are not always within our control. I have been following her story and cannot imagine how the poor cat would have ended up if she were on her own living outside. Polka is still a very lucky cat because she has you now and good safe place to rest her head. Seeing you together with your hands on her belly and her in your lap was the picture of pure love and devotion. I can't believe the way she demanded your attention during this whole ordeal as I always thought that a cat would hide away when it is in such distress. Polka is a special cat  indeed. Your going to be on the receiving end of some serious cat-love from this little lost creature.

Hope you all sleep well 

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Hey there, the kittens sounded beautiful and perfectly developed. It is always painful to lose a litter of otherwise healthy kittens when something goes awry during the birthing process. You have my condolences.

There was a reason Polka was so needy - her instincts were telling her that something wasn't right. She knew she needed help. Bless her sweet heart. I am relieved that she will be okay.

When can you bring her home? Be sure to ask for pain meds for her recovery. Some vets won't give them unless you ask, but that was major surgery.

I hope you are able to get some rest today too. You've been through a lot yourself.

Thanks for taking such great care of Polka - you have been there every step of the way. Let us know how she is when you can. Blessings!

sweetlynn86

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I appreciate everyone's help and advice through everything. We brought polka home at 4am along with her kittens. We buried the kittens in our backyard. Polka kept me up when we got home. She was so confused. The kept crying for me to come back down on the floor where she had been laboring. When I would get down there, she would roll over for me to keep rubbing her belly. They did send her home with pain meds thankfully. At 9am, I had to rush her back to the vet because she was struggling to breathe. She apparently aspirated saliva while she had a breathing tube in and has probably developed a respiratory infection so now she is on amoxicillin and albuterol. She is okay. She seems very sad though. It's over for her now at least. She was spayed during her c-section so we don't have to go through this again. Now I just have to find a way to pay 800 more dollars by July 24th. [emoji]128528[/emoji]

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Good Lord! Poor baby!

Can you set up a Go Fund Me page for Polka so we can contribute? I certainly would like to.

Maybe the vet can let you pay in installments?

Do you think Polka would be able to nurse foster orphans? Don't know if either of you are up for that.

I wondered if you would bring the babies back to bury. That's sweet.

Let us know about helping out with costs.

sweetlynn86

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I don't have a bank account so I'm not sure how to do a donation page. The vet was horrible to us last night. They wouldn't do the surgery until they received 350.00 up front so I called my family and rounded up the money. Then as the kittens were born, 2 were stillborn and 2 had heartbeats but were struggling to breathe. The vet let them die because "polka was feral and we don't know if the kittens were even healthy." They were big, fat, fuzzy and perfect. Then they said I had to pay the remainder off before I could take polka home. They weren't going to give her back to me so my mom saved my butt and post dated a check for July 24th. When I called this morning to say she was struggling to breathe, they added another 140.00 to the balance I owe plus the cost of antibiotics and breathing treatments. I don't know how these people sleep at night. I would love for polka to foster kittens. I think it would lift her spirits to care for someone. I'm going to make some phone calls tomorrow. Our vet almost always has orphans in homes being hand raised by volunteers. As of now though, I don't think there are any in need of care.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Geez ... I am not too fond of the price- gouging by emergency vets, but this is a horror story.

I don't feel it was their call to make regarding the two kittens who were alive. Their oath should commit them "to do no harm". Withholding treatment (clearing passageways, offering oxygen, antibiotics) should have been a priority. Did they ask if you had a preference as to saving mom or babies?

For future reference, I never tell a vet that a cat is feral unless I have to, because vets seem to treat them as especially disposable.

I don't know how Go Fund Me works in terms of a bank account. Maybe another poster knows, but if it requires one, perhaps you could use your mom's, since she's the one who needs to cover her check.

sweetlynn86

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I will talk to my mom when she gets off work. I appreciate your willingness to help us. I applied for a credit card and should know by the end of the day if I'm approved. I had to fill out paperwork consenting to the surgery and answering questions. It asked if it came down to it, who do I want saved first. I said polka. It then asked what medical intervention I wanted done to mom AND babies if necessary. I checked the box stating I wanted all medical intervention necessary to save the life of mom and babies, including oxygen, cpr, and intubation. The veterinarian blatantly disregarded my wishes because polka had been feral.
There's a couple animal shelters spreading the word right now about our search for orphan kitties. We may have located a 6-7 week old litter of kittens. Even if I bring home 1, I think polkas spirits would lift. The foster kitties we have right now are terrified of her because she was so mean to them before.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The thread should stay open because of Polka.

I'd take at least 2 of those kittens so they have each other, though younger would be better.

How's Polka this morning?

sweetlynn86

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Polka is okay today. She's up and moving and I got her to eat some treats. She's so sad though. If I'm not actively attending to her, she goes into the basement and lays in the corner behind my table. Her eyes look lost. I agree younger is better but so far, this litter is the only ones I've located.

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Molly lost her kittens as well and they found a 6-8 week old kitten for her to mother.  The kitten in questions looks older to some but it filled her needs and the kitten seemed happy  to snuggle, nurse a little and be cleaned by Molly.