Approximate delivery day for this mama kitty?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sweetlynn86

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
This is what dinner looks like at our house. Everyone adjusted really quickly to the kittens being out and about during the day. Except Nutty. We have one kitty not pictured because they are pouting in the kitchen.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Awww ... a popular time of day, I see! :)

Why was Nutty pouting? :(

Last edited:

sweetlynn86

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Nutty doesn't like any change of routine. Including movement of a litteebox, new food bowls, different cat litter, new resident in the home, or in this case, having to eat next to the kittens. The pouting will last a couple days.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Oh my! But Nutty will eventually eat when the kittens are done? Is he just the sensitive type?

Poor Nutty!

sweetlynn86

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oh yea, nutty will sit and watch from a distance and when the kittens clear out, she'll move in. She's weird. She cleans the kittens and mothers them but any change in routine sends her into pouty mode. We ignore the attitude and carry on as usual and she realizes the world isn't ending.

sweetlynn86

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The sweet smell of success..... And cat food. Nutty decided to join the kitties for dinner tonight. We were even able to bring the pups in without a second thought from any of them. When we foster kittens, we usually only have 1, sometimes 2. This line of cats cracks me up. The second picture is polka with Tilly. Tilly hasn't ever really had a feline mama but polka is insisting upon being her mom.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It looks like Animal Planet or a pet store!!!

I believe Polka thinks she's everybody's mama - sweet, sweet Polka [emoji]128536[/emoji].

sweetlynn86

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Our rats are far bigger than the kittens. Lol

sweetlynn86

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Okay everyone. Let's play a game of what would you do? Yesterday, I made a post on my Facebook letting people know what our intention was, as far as planning on rescuing pregnant mamas so we could ensure all were spayed/neutered and safely homed, rather than euthanized. I also posted on a few local groups I belong to on Facebook. The point of my postings was to find out how many people would be immediately interested in a kitten so we could be sure any kittens we take in would have homes lined up. Well, we received quite a few responses from people who are very interested in a kitten, especially if it's already fixed and socialized. However, I received an message tonight from a girl who has a pregnant tortoiseshell. Here is her message to me......

"Hi. I know you don't know me but my cousin said ur looking to adopt or rescue pregnant cats? If you are I have one. I know she's pregnant but I don't know how far along she is or how to even tell? She goes outside a lot when it's daytime and I haven't been able to get her fixed. She had babies last year and so she's a good mom. Well anyways my landlord found out I have cats and he said I need to get rid of them or move out. I just had a baby so I can't be homeless. The shelter here is full so my only option is to find a home fast or take her away from here and leave her. It would for sure be cool if u could help. I live in ---------"

She is 4 hours from me. Her cousin lives up here so my first thought was if I go for this cat, maybe they could meet halfway.

Then I asked her a few questions. I asked if she'd had any shots, if she could feel babies moving yet, how old mama is, if she'd been around dogs, if she had fleas......

She's never had shots
She has fleas

Big red flag with the fleas. I'm not sure how to prevent her fleas from spreading to our current animals and successfully clear them from her. I rarely need to deal with fleas as our vet has always dealt with fleas before placing kittens with fosters. I just see dollar signs flashing before my eyes but I don't want this mama cat being dumped in an unfamiliar neighborhood either. Our current kittens can't use flea medicine yet I don't believe. So.......

What would your plan be?

sweetlynn86

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
That's what I asked her. She said her landlord told her she has until Monday or she will be served an eviction.

sweetlynn86

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Right now I'm leaning towards no but I'm not experienced with fleas so im not sure if they're as big of a hassle as I think they are. If they are, I can't bring her on.

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If she does it early tomorrow or tonight that would be five days in.  Would that belong enough to kill off the adults?  I really don't think you want fleas.  Would the vet you usually foster for take her for a couple of days it the fleas are still a problem?

Between your daughter and all your pets fleas would be a big problem.

Last edited: