Apartments that require declawing

tulosai

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have a friend who just got a cat.  The apartment he lives in told him no problem.  He moved the cat in and now they are telling him it is their policy that the cat has to be declawed.  There is a contract for him to sign that does say the cat has to be declawed.  They didn't show him this contract until now; he has to sign it if he wants to have the cat. They do require proof of the declawing in the form of a letter from the vet who preforms the operation within one month from signing.

This is in addition to a $300 deposit (non-refundable) and a $25/month pet charge (these they did mention before).

He asked me for advice but I really do not know what to tell him.  He is not interested in doing anything sketchy or illegal no matter how well intentioned (i.e.he is not interested in hiding the cat or forging a letter from a vet).  He is in a career where he could easily and legitimately be fired if charges were brought against him, even for something like this.

So far I have suggested:

-Asking if they will accept proof of soft claws, with random inspections as they see fit to make sure the soft claws are actually on

-Asking if they will accept a higher security deposit for the cat

He has already asked if they will accept proof of a scratching post or even posts and been told no.  He has already asked if they will accept a letter from a vet explaining why the cat should not be declawed and been told no.

Any other thoughts?

Last edited:

belle8bete

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
ugh this is so MESSED UP.

Plus, cats can do damage without their claws...and if you have to declaw a cat that doesn't need it and is older, they will start peeing all over the place. 

My father is a contract lawyer, and that not showing the contract business is EXTREMELY sketchy.  I really wouldn't want to live at that apartment, knowing they will probably do this about other things (though, perhaps they didn't mention it since they figured he wouldn't have a cat anyway).  

I also have a boyfriend who cannot afford to get in any type of legal trouble for his career.  I think the soft paw suggestion might be the best.   How frustrating.  

I am not opposed to declawing (though this forum is) but I really object to declawing for something like this.  It could be damaging for the cat.  

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tulosai

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
In some very limited fairness to the apartment he did not handle it the best- he called them and asked about the cat policy, and was told there was an addendum to the lease (i.e. contract) that he could sign immediately after he got the cat.  He was told about the fees.  Declawing wasn't mentioned during the convo, but I actually think (angry as this makes me) it wasn't mentioned because they don't think it was a big deal or because they sort of just forgot, not because they were trying to hide it.  He was invited to come look the addendum over before getting the cat but told he didn't have to provided he went to sign it and pay fees immediately after getting the cat (parts of the addendum only make sense after cat is already in residence, such as I have a ________________ (breed) who is ____________ (color)).  He did not bother to look at it before getting the cat, and here we are.

He DOES NOT want to declaw but he also DOES NOT want to take the cat back to possibly be euthanized.

Thanks for the feedback.

Last edited:

vball91

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
This is a difficult situation. Yes, it would have been better if he had known/been notified before adoption that declawing was required, but now he has to make some tough decisions. Is there any way he could rehome his cat and adopt an already declawed cat?

tulosai, I think your suggestions are good, but the apartment has no reason to accept either.

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
This is a difficult situation. Yes, it would have been better if he had known/been notified before adoption that declawing was required, but now he has to make some tough decisions. Is there any way he could rehome his cat and adopt an already declawed cat?

tulosai, I think your suggestions are good, but the apartment has no reason to accept either.
I agree.. I think 'trading' (for lack of better word) for a declawed cat might be the best option in this case.. I can't think of anything else to suggest. Or finding another apartment.

Last edited:

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
As difficult as this may be for him, I would have to give notice and find another apt. This is ludacriss........

Requring a cat be declawed...unbelievable and even so, it should be crystal clear when he was told they will allow cats, it should be all in the same breath!

It's also a very costly surgery, and an ugly one for the cat, actual mutilation.

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise
I would start looking for a new apartment, and pay the fees for ending the current lease, before paying for a de-claw surgery.

Then again, it may actually be the new "standard" for apartments, at least those run by giant management companies.  So finding a truly pet friendly apartment may be easier said than done. 

Nonetheless, the only way an individual can bring the message home is to put the effort into it.  Don't give money (rent or otherwise) to companies that promote animal cruelty (that includes vets who de-claw as standard procedure).

jmo

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If there were an easy affordable way out of the lease and he can find another apartment that doesn't require the declaw then I would do that.  If not than exchanging the cat for one that is declawed would be the best option.  If that's what he needs to do then the sooner the better because he's only going to fully bond with this cat.  A lot of people just assume that cats that are kept as pets are declawed.  It hasn't been that long ago that it was true, it's only been recently that the tide on declawing has begun to turn.

spiderplant

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I think your friend should find another rental(if he can afford it, even with making some sacrifices) rather than supporting their highly unethical policy by giving them money. I would first try to educate them as suggested. I think nothing would make a more compelling case to them than explaining the potential damage a declawed cat could do to an apartment when they begin avoiding their litter box.

If he absolutely can't/won't find a new apartment then maybe he could try bringing his cat to a vet, having the Soft Paws put on, asking the vet to write a letter noting it's been done, and presenting it to the apartment manager.

I personally wouldn't want to deal with all of that and it's one reason I've never rented an apartment and always found cheaper, cat-friendly houses to rent instead. It certainly isn't easy and is almost impossible in some parts of the country. http://www.pawproject.org/ and their facebook page might have some other suggestions.

flysmama

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I regret to say, I have found myself in a similar situation. Unfortunately, I'm afraid I'm at fault here for not reading the pet addendum more closely and therefore not noticing the declaw requirement before signing.

Actually I had NEVER even considered declawing, and have NEVER heard of an apartment requiring this before... so I missed it in the fine print.

Right now, I'm just hoping my landlady doesn't follow up asking for the documentation. If she does, I'm considering the following options:

A. Hope she will accept a forged document kinda hidden and stapled with the rest of the official documentation (spay and vaccination proofs) and not think twice about it.... But if she does call the vet to verify, I wonder what I could be risking besides eviction... The chance that another apartment declines my application? Legal fines? I don't know if I'm willing to risk that. EVEN THOUGH I'm 90% sure she won't even follow up if I just give her a fake form.

B. Maybe besides a forged document, I could staple a pamphlet about declawing and a note why I refuse to do it and why they should update their pet addendum. Maybe ask some other tenants in the building what they think (whether they even have cats or not) and get them to sign a petition. But even with this option, I shouldn't have signed in the first place. It's my fault for not noticing before I signed...

C. I do believe honesty is the best policy so there's the option I'm leaning towards: negotiation.

- Offer documentation of soft paws/kitty caps application by vet, & vet's recommendation that the cat not be declawed as it is a health and safety risk to the animal.
- Offer proof of scratching posts and mats (receipts).
- Offer to double the pet deposit, or increase the pet rent amount.

However, they still might decline... and I absolutely will NEVER accept mutilation of my pet... so this could be a stale mate argument. Then what?

I guess my last option is to say, screw them, and their poop covered hallways, and break the lease.

And I'm not kidding about the poop. This apartment is so sketch in the first place. There is human feces smeared on the walls of the hallways and other trash scattered all over the place in and outside the building... but God forbid if a cat scratches the carpet!

Any feedback is much appreciated.... and I wish you all the best those of you going through the same thing.... <3 <3 <3

Last edited:

riley1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I would move before putting any cat through that over an apartment.  I work at a shelter & we "sell"  the SOFTPAWS idea to many landlords.  Doesn't work well with big corporations, however. 

flysmama

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have some happy news!

The vet clinic I took little Fly to for her first visit is a No-Declaw clinic! I told them my situation with my landlord and they were ready with a bunch of literature, a signed letter stating that they WON'T declaw cats for their health and well being, and recommended Kitty Caps to me and gave me more info on those. They were very passionate about not declawing and asked me to spread the word. (Of course I will!)

They were fantastic and made me feel so much better. I am still not going to take any action until my landlord actually follows up with me for the declaw documentation (if she ever does). But it is a big relief to know I have the entire vet office on my side in case I DO have to negotiate with the landlord.

Let's keep our paws crossed! :3

tinkerbeltink

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am not sure if this is a state-by-state basis kind of thing, but I have always heard that current laws weigh more in favor of the renter than the owner. I've heard this because I have had family and friends with rental properties. You may want to have your boyfriend call an attorney and ask about this. Some will answer a question or two for free via telephone conversation.

I heard once that Alley Cat Alleys has attorneys on retainer or working with them. Although they deal with strays and ferals, they may can direct him in what his rights are. You would have to check to see if they do, indeed, have attorneys.

You may can also see about contacting the ASPCA or The Paw Project and see if they can give any guidance on what his rights are.

I lived in an apartment in college and another right out of college. This seems awfully extreme. Deposits are the norm. How is a cat having claws going to hurt an apartment? The only think they could possibly hurt would be carpet and how often could that happen? The furniture is yours.

I would advise reading on declawing before knowing what you are dealing with and a great film is The Paw Project Movie.

Glad to see your vet is on your side. I had my first cat declawed and have regretted it. She later had litterbox issues and developed an intense fear of people.

BonitaBaby

Emotional Support Cat "Owner"
Alpha Cat
Purraise

I have some happy news!

The vet clinic I took little Fly to for her first visit is a No-Declaw clinic! I told them my situation with my landlord and they were ready with a bunch of literature, a signed letter stating that they WON'T declaw cats for their health and well being, and recommended Kitty Caps to me and gave me more info on those. They were very passionate about not declawing and asked me to spread the word. (Of course I will!)

They were fantastic and made me feel so much better. I am still not going to take any action until my landlord actually follows up with me for the declaw documentation (if she ever does). But it is a big relief to know I have the entire vet office on my side in case I DO have to negotiate with the landlord.

Let's keep our paws crossed! :3
That's really great! I was going to post 5 days ago, but didn't know what to say because I ended up being lucky. I made sure to ask my landlord first if I could have a cat, especially since the lease I signed said no pets. He said yes, but he didn't seem thrilled about it and said there would be a $400 cat deposit and paperwork to sign. It feels like he thought that would deter me from getting a cat. I hadn't expected the deposit, but was thinking I'd take care of my apt and get that additional $400 back, so I immediately put a check in his mailbox after I adopted my cat. Fortunately, when I saw him a couple of weeks later, he said never mind about the deposit and don't worry about the paperwork. He didn't seem too happy about it, but I'm so glad he was nice. I could have ended up in the same situation as I didn't think about declawing. I used to think declawing was great before I was actually around cats and learned it could end up being permanently painful for them and is like amputating the tips of your fingers. Also, how it leaves cats defenseless. Even indoor only kitties might run away out of fear or boredom, so you don't want them declawed for that reason as well. When you think about it, cats are able to retract their claws, so their claws are a part of them and not the same as our fingernails or toenails.

Anyway, if your landlord presses the issue, if you are willing to forfeit your apartment deposit, I would just tell your landlord that your cat is not declawed and that the only thing that can really be ruined is the carpet and you are willing to pay for the new carpet when you move. However, if you've lived at your place for a long time or if the carpet is really old, you shouldn't have to pay for the carpet because the landlord should be obligated to replace it due to normal wear & tear after a certain number of years if you move depending on where you live. At least that's true in California, I believe I've read. As I mentioned, I thought I could "take care" of my apartment carpet even with my cat, but after getting her and seeing how she loves to scratch the carpet, I'm fine with the idea of having a new carpet taken out of my deposit when I move (unless that's years away and the landlord would have to replace the carpet anyway). Also, fortunately for her and me, I'd accidentally ripped a huge strand of the carpet out while I was vacuuming BEFORE I got my cat, so I'm fine with her hooking her claws into the carpet and pulling herself along like she's been doing lately or her scratching the carpet...otherwise, I'd be yelling at her to stop all the time and we would both be stressed out...

Last edited: