ANYTHING To Help with Feline Hyperesthesia Syndrome?

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am about at my wits end. So is my poor Molly. I have tried hundreds if not thousands of dollars trying to find something that seems to help with her twitching, screaming when touched in the tail area, and CONSTANT licking. She gets SO upset when I take her to the vet she actually pees and defecates and it just affects her way too much. I have taken her in several times and no luck. This started a couple of years ago and has escalated to her actually rolling off of furniture and counters trying to lick. It is at the base of her tail on her back which is the most affected, any pressure or touch on this area causes her to go insane. The thing that seems to help her the most is CBD oil,.25mg and allergy/skin medicine, (BestLife4Pets healthy skin & allergy relief) three tiny pills, each twice a day. It does not stop it, but it seems to slow it down some. She used to lick huge sores into her skin, but thank goodness that has resolved. She eats meat only food. Has anyone ever found anything to help with this?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi - just a thought, have you tried any other calming products in addition, or cat music, in case this is compounded by stress somehow?

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
This is not a guaranteed answer for all cats, but gabapentin provides some relief for some. I did have a cat who was dxed with this, Chelsea, and while the episodes were severe, they were not as bad as what you are describing.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I have heard of stories of using acupuncture, so you might want to read up on that or consult with a certified pet acupuncturist. That would also probably require using gabapentin to help calm Molly down for either a trip to have it done, or even if you would find one who would do in home visits. Perhaps, the acupuncturist would have some ideas to help prepare Molly for treatment.

I do think you have to find out about using gabapentin in conjunction with CBD oil - as I thought I read that using the two at the same time is not recommended. You probably already know this since you are using CBD oil.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks all, for your answers. You have given me some more to go on I didn't think of. I have only used one calming med i might get some with different ingredients. I'll calI my vet about the gabapentin and see what he thinks. I used some ComfortGold (a pain med i got for a dying cat) today after she flipped off a chair, she seems a little calmer. I dont get my hopes up until i try something new for about a week. I have used just about twenty different allergy meds, none of those have worked. I have used about every itch medicine, some probiotics, and different diets. There are some out there for stress i might try. I appreciate any and all help!