Anything I Should Know About Nutro Wet Food Or Rawz??

trisha422

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have knocked my brains out researching wet cats foods.
Ofcourse my furbabies don't like the most highly rated tiki cat, wureva, or soulistic.
They like pates.

I have found that Nurto wet food has has the best ratings as far as ingredients and nutrition goes. High protien, low in carbs and fat. And calories are mostly from protien.
Even a recent study found it has the least amount of "metals" compared to other foods in the chicken and turkey formula.
Anything negative I should know that I may have not discovered?
I'm not a fan of the pork broth, but don't see how it can affect the cats in any way....

I also discovered a brand called Rawz. I like the ingredients but can't find much ratings on it online cause it's seems to be too new.
My baby girl is prone to getting overweight, so the food needs to be low carb. How do i find out what percentage of carbs this food has?

Any opinions? Thanks so much in advance!

Last edited:

MeganLLB

Accidental Ailurophile
Top Cat
Purraise
What I don't like about Nutro is that it seems expensive for the little bit of food you get.
I feed Dave's. It's pretty good food, got good reviews by doodlebug and its only about $1 per can, so thats a plus for me!

I've never heard of Rawz.
If you go to www.catfooddb.com that usually gives you how many carbs.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Our cats love Nutro Natural Choice canned foods: the chunky chicken pate is very popular with lots of cats. I've also fed minced chicken and sliced turkey, though those aren't pates. (You could probably make them into pate in a mini food processor, though!) I avoid carrageenan in cat foods, which is one reason for choosing those three. I feed much less Nutro now than I used to because one cat loves it so much that she eats it too fast and vomits. :p

The cats also love Rawz, though I've only fed them the chicken and turkey. I don't know what the actual carbs are on their foods but I'm not worried about it because there are no grains, vegetables, or other carby ingredients on the list.

Two other very decent pate brands are Hound & Gatos and Wild Calling. Those seem to be love-it-or-hate-it foods, though. Our cats aren't crazy about either brand but they do like Hound & Gatos lamb. Those brands are also low in carbs. As are Fancy Feast Classics, which are all pates.

Good luck!

destinyz12

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My cats love Nutro, but some of the flavors do contain carrageenan, so be aware of that. I feed currently the Minced chicken and sliced turkey flavors which do not contain it. Other ones that are carageenan-free that I know of are the kitten soft loaf chicken, the chunky chicken, and minced chicken & shrimp. There might be a few more, and Nutro also has those perfect portions containers and i think those are all carageenan-free.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The Rawz is interesting. The only plant carbohydrates are fenugreek seeds, which they are using instead of gums. Nutrition data lists fenugreek at 6.4 grams of carbs per tablespoon (of course you don't know if there is a fraction of a teaspoon or 3 tablespoons - or any other quantity - in one can). Naturalagroproducts website cites fenugreek seeds as 20% insoluble fiber, meaning that it's just going to bulk the stool and be pooped out rather than absorbed.

Anyway, 96% meat and liver is a good thing. I feed raw, but when I went out of town for father's day, I left out some canned for my cats. I would try the Rawz next time I'm gone overnight.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The Rawz is interesting. The only plant carbohydrates are fenugreek seeds, which they are using instead of gums. Nutrition data lists fenugreek at 6.4 grams of carbs per tablespoon (of course you don't know if there is a fraction of a teaspoon or 3 tablespoons - or any other quantity - in one can). Naturalagroproducts website cites fenugreek seeds as 20% insoluble fiber, meaning that it's just going to bulk the stool and be pooped out rather than absorbed.

Anyway, 96% meat and liver is a good thing. I feed raw, but when I went out of town for father's day, I left out some canned for my cats. I would try the Rawz next time I'm gone overnight.
I kind of wonder about the fenugreek, too, but we feed so little canned food that it isn't much of a concern. Both our cats really like Rawz, which has a fairly smooth but not jelly-like consistency. It seems to be very decent food.