Anything Better Than K/d Diet For Crf Cat Allergic To Poutry?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

teeveecat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So she does not like leftover Hill's k/d. Can you ask the vet for smaller cans?
I think he'll just submit a prescription to DrsFostersmith, Petco or Chewy for whichever K/D diet I decide to order. That's no problem. He doesn't sell the cans himself. He wants to see her kidney readings again after a month on a low phosphorus food.

Yeah, I remember Hills Science Diet canned food being like pudding. My cats wouldn't eat it.
Thanks for confirming the consistency of the food. I know some of the Weruva brands are watery with alot of broth but they're designed to be that way. I had thought that maybe high temperatures during delivery caused the food to turn to a pudding or baby food type thickness. The last time I saw food that watery was when a very hot delivery truck destroyed the consistency of Nature's Variety canned rabbit during 100 degree summer temperatures.

I never bought that for my cats. My vet told me to add a canned food to their diet during the melamine poisoning recalls and I knew Science Diet was one of the cat food brands involved.
There were many brands involved during that period. According to Wikipedia, these were the two Hills Science Diet foods involved in 2007:

2007 pet food recalls - Wikipedia
Menu Foods Income Fund - Annual General Meeting

"Hill's Pet Nutrition: Science Diet Savory Cuts and a single dry cat food product, "Prescription Diet m/d Feline".

Daisy6

A cat's best friend
Super Cat
Purraise
I think he'll just submit a prescription to DrsFostersmith, Petco or Chewy for whichever K/D diet I decide to order. That's no problem. He doesn't sell the cans himself. He wants to see her kidney readings again after a month on a low phosphorus food.
The way Chewy does it is you put the cans in your cart and fill out the information for them to contact your vet (employer's name, vet's name, etc.) to verify he/she prescribed it. This information is saved in your account so you only fill it out once. Shipment is delayed by one day while Chewy confirms the prescription. I did it for my last cat.

teeveecat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The way Chewy does it is you put the cans in your cart and fill out the information for them to contact your vet (employer's name, vet's name, etc.) to verify he/she prescribed it. This information is saved in your account so you only fill it out once. Shipment is delayed by one day while Chewy confirms the prescription. I did it for my last cat.
That seemed to have been the case the last time I ordered. I had a notice that it shipped the same day I ordered and submitted the vet information, but I don't think it was picked up by the carrier from Chewy until the next day. They used Lasership rather than the usual which was Fedex. I was a little upset because the weather was warm and a Thursday order didn't arrive until Sunday (Fedex delivers the next day and even on Saturday) but it eventually came.

I'm going to also submit an order with Drsfostermith which is owned by Petco. Petco also sells prescription food. Once a month Drsfostermith offers a gift coupon with either a $75 or $100 order (sometimes it's $125). For example, you get a $30 gift certificate with a $100 order that's good for 30 days. You can then apply it to a case of cans. It includes free shipping, too (orders over $19 get free shipping on Drsfostersmith).

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My family's 20 year old Himalayan is in the beginning stages of kidney failure. The vet wasn't even overly concerned and just stated her kidneys were a little small and she may urinate more and we should start to think about the transition to a kidney diet (IMO the vet was much too UN-concerned...) However at 20, she never had canned food in her life so it has been difficult trying to find a good dry non-prescription kidney diet for her. This thread has been very helpful as to where we can begin. Anyway sorry to hijack just wanted to chime in.

teeveecat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My family's 20 year old Himalayan is in the beginning stages of kidney failure. The vet wasn't even overly concerned and just stated her kidneys were a little small and she may urinate more and we should start to think about the transition to a kidney diet (IMO the vet was much too UN-concerned...) However at 20, she never had canned food in her life so it has been difficult trying to find a good dry non-prescription kidney diet for her. This thread has been very helpful as to where we can begin. Anyway sorry to hijack just wanted to chime in.
In addtition to this site and Felinecrf.org, there's a Facebook group called "Feline Chronic Kidney Disease" that offers suggestions. I'm not sure if it was mentioned here yet.

FELINE CHRONIC KIDNEY DISEASE

MittensMom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I know this thread is a few years old, but I was curious if it was resolved. I too have a cat that has a chicken allergy and stage 2 kidney disease. The vet would like to change her to a kidney friendly food, however I don’t feel comfortable feeding her chicken by products or chicken at all. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Jojothepogo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have the same problem with my kitty. She's 13 and was diagnosed with early kidney disease. She is allergic to poultry, beef, and shrimp and her allergies are miserable. Atopica is her life saver, but I still want to avoid feeding her things she is allergic to and it's really annoying to me that your vet would say, "let see what happens." Screw that...I know what happens - she chews straight through to her muscle on her belly and legs and tears her ears...we're not doing that again.

I did some research. According to Tonya's Comprehensive Guide to Feline Kidney Disease, the goal is to stay under 0.5% phosphorus, around 35% protein, and under 0.2% sodium from DRY MATTER %, which is super important because many companies provide the nutritional analysis according to "as fed."

Here's the only diet I found without poultry, beef, or shrimp.

Rayne Nutrition - https://raynenutrition.com/products/adult-health-rss-feline-chunky-stew

So I guess this is what we are going to try.