Anyone's cat lose weight and be healthy?

Ezavora

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat Lucy was always around 10/10.5 pounds. She has always had a steady appetite. About 3 months ago i noticed her appearing a little slender. I brought her in and she had lost about a pound. They did a bunch of tests and she had a higher white blood cell count so they believe she was fighting off an infection. We did a follow up and all was clear. She seems her normal self...eats normally and is still active but anyone who sees her comments on how small she looks now. Im not extremely concerned but has anyone experienced this?

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Generally, a cat who is eating normally, who is normally active and still losing weight has some sort of underlying issue. Now, what you need to know is if she has lost MORE weight, or if she simply hasn't regained the lost weight. She may be simply maintaining the weight loss. See if you can weight her again, for comparison.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi How old is Lucy? Not saying our situations are the same, but Feeby (15+yo) mysteriously lost 1.5 pounds over the course of about 6 months last year. She has been overweight for most of her life, and still is - technically. Her blood work showed nothing that would have attributed to it. But, she too had a higher than normal WBC reading, as if she had some sort of infection. Never figured out what that was. After that, her most recent blood tests didn't show anything. Feeby has lost some additional weight since then. At her heaviest, Feeby was at least 17.5 pounds, now she hovers around 15. She has her good days and bad days for the amount she eats, but she does eat all days.

Feeby is overdue for her semi-annual geriatric exam (due to COVID 19), so I don't know if blood work would show anything new. All I am doing is logging her daily food/caloric intake and weighing her weekly to ensure she stays about the same weight. If she loses some over the course of a week, I try to find ways to increase her intake accordingly. She bounces back and forth with her weight - naturally corresponding to her intake.