Anyone’s Cat Had A Dislocated Jaw From Arthritis?

Pjg8r

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
my friend’s cat is 15 and dislocated his jaw a few weeks ago. The vet suspected some type of accident, they taped the jaw and the cat wore a cone and fed slurries. Two nights ago it dislocated again and the cat has now been diagnosed with arthritic changes to the joint and the recommended treatment is to surgically remove tbe
Joint on that side. They say the can open and close fine with just one joint. This doesn’t sound very good to me but wondered if any of you have gone through this. My friends asked my opinion and I would love to give them an encouraging story

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would research it on the internet to see what kind of options you have. Or recommend to them to get a second opinion, that solution seems a little radical to me. Although the little bit of research I did stated that removal was the treatment of choice. I hope there is someone on this site who can help you with this. The only experience I have had has been trauma, not arthritic changes. I wonder if prednisone could help? It does wonders for inflammation, which arthritis brings about. Please keep us posted!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
No direct experience, but a neighbor did have this surgery done on her cat. He tolerated it well, and once the recovery period was over, did very well. I believe it is a bit like a femoral head removal, the area heals, and the muscles are able to support the altered joint with no problem at all.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Pjg8r

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thought I would update this. The surgeon found a bone spur and removed that from the jaw. Kitty still has a G-tube 10 days after surgery but is eating better each day and they hope to pull the tube this week. Major surgery but it looks like a happy ending.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Thank you for coming back to tell us the good news. :thumbsup: I sincerely appreciate the encouraging information on the progress of your friend's cat. All's well that ends well!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
That's wonderful news! I can't tell you how happy I am that Kitty will live long and pawspurr!
upload_2018-3-19_15-21-31.jpeg

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm pleased to hear that. I hope the tube removal goes well! My Radar just had an oesophagostomy tube removed today, but I know that a gastrostomy removal is more complicated - best wishes :)