Anyone's Cat Breathe Loud Instead Of Purr Sometimes?

Ladyrosee

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My little kitty when he is relaxing will breathe really heavy sometimes and loud when I come up and pet him but not purr. But act really content. It kind of sounds like an old lady smoker breathe mixed with a pigeon. other times he will just purr and not breathe very loud but he heavy purrs. Sometimes it concerns me but I think it just may be a quirk? His lungs are always clear when I take him to the vet.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The one extra thing you might have them treat him for is heartworms. Giving Advantage or one of the other prevetatives is something that should be done wherever mosquitos are present. I have a cat with heart worms. Sometimes he breathes heavily but he is improving greatly. You might get his teeth checked to. He could be holding his mouth open so the sound of the purr and breathing is louder. Also, could just be excited that you are near. Loving you!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ladyrosee

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The one extra thing you might have them treat him for is heartworms. Giving Advantage or one of the other prevetatives is something that should be done wherever mosquitos are present. I have a cat with heart worms. Sometimes he breathes heavily but he is improving greatly. You might get his teeth checked to. He could be holding his mouth open so the sound of the purr and breathing is louder. Also, could just be excited that you are near. Loving you!
My kitty is only indoors and we luckily dont get any mosquitos or bugs in the house. I should have mentioned his mouth is closed. It makes me wonder if he is like my family golden retriever how we could call it her "purr" sounds like shes moaning/struggling to breathe/snorting when she gets really affectionate and sleepy she will make a weird exaggerated moan/snort sound while she inhales especially if you rub her chest. The vet was concerned at first and asked if she always has done this and we said yes only when shes very relaxed

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My oldest male is a noisy breather. He makes a soft whining wheeze that's somewhat unnerving at night. Doesn't seem to have any problems, though. He chases the other two around and beats up on them just fine. The vet listens to him and hasn't found anything amiss.

IronHippo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hmm I think ʻUlu sounds like that! I thought he had a cold at first, but no, he's just an occasional mouth-breather when he purrs. He also sounds like a pigeon taking off when he trills/burbles to say hi. He's had a clean bill of health both times we brought him to the vet did his wellness exam (recent adoption) so I think it's just the way he is...?