Anyone with Hybrid or Exotic cat experience please help

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If he does have herpes, one of the best things you can do for him is to switch him to a grain free or almost grain free diet.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by stephanietx

If he does have herpes, one of the best things you can do for him is to switch him to a grain free or almost grain free diet.
I have read the study as did all three of my vets( holistic/ conventional , conventional and eastern medicine) ... None are convinced, the vets are waiting for further studies to see if the results are the same... IMHO and experience that varies by cat... In 2 of my 4 all grain free = disaster ... Major flare ups which assisted in other illnesses taking hold... Type of grain has a lot to do with it at least here... lower allergen and higher digestibility seems to work for my crew

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Cat Person

Hi AddieBee,

I am going to go and get the Lysine. The 500 milligram pills and split it in two twice a day. So starting tomorrow he will be getting his Lysine. I hope this helps him to feel better

My Savannah eats TOTW and Natures Abundance (thats what the breeder fed him). But he also eats some Iams, Purina One, and Eukanuba. Along with any people food or anything else that is vagely food like
. Yes he is like a dog

Thank you everyone
If he eats wet food, I would highly recommend getting the powder or capsule to mix it on the food instead of piling him.... SO much easier!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cat person

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know with all of you diet is a major thing. My Savannah will eat anything. So he will always have some grain in his diet. Since he gets some of my other cats food. Just the way it is.

Now Carolina my Loki likes his pills in cheese. Or just out of my fingers for a piece of cheese. Well he will take a pill for any type of reward.

Also my vet said only give 250 milligram of L-Lysine once a day. He said try that first. Since his immune system is different then a domestic. We will see what happens
. So tomorrow he gets his L-Lysine.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Cat Person

I know with all of you diet is a major thing. My Savannah will eat anything. So he will always have some grain in his diet. Since he gets some of my other cats food. Just the way it is.

Now Carolina my Loki likes his pills in cheese. Or just out of my fingers for a piece of cheese. Well he will take a pill for any type of reward.

Also my vet said only give 250 milligram of L-Lysine once a day. He said try that first. Since his immune system is different then a domestic. We will see what happens
. So tomorrow he gets his L-Lysine.
The only difference is that he is MORE susceptible possibly to things that many domestics have full immunity to... Lysine at a maintenance dose is likely NOT going to do much, hence why all of us gave a loading dose... Honestly I would be checking with another vet as yours is either totally unfamiliar with hybrids and general cat ailments ( upwards of 90% of cats have it ) or your misunderstanding...

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

The only difference is that he is MORE susceptible possibly to things that many domestics have full immunity to... Lysine at a maintenance dose is likely NOT going to do much, hence why all of us gave a loading dose... Honestly I would be checking with another vet as yours is either totally unfamiliar with hybrids and general cat ailments ( upwards of 90% of cats have it ) or your misunderstanding...
a Savannah at 250mg a day during a flare... simply weird

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lysine is perfectly harmless. . .I don't know why your vet would recommend a lower dose, especially since Savannahs are larger. I doubt it'll do any good at that dosage.

cat person

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello Everyone,

First of all let me make this clear my boy just turned five month old and is about 7lbs. I am not sure if that makes any difference to any of you or not to any of you or not. But I just want to make that clear.

Now Sharky I am not defending the veterinarian in anyway shape or form. But I have used the same veterinarian for 13 plus years. I have had no complaints.

I talked to someone who owns pure servals. As well as F1-F3 Savannahs. They said that too much L-Lysine can cause an exaggerated immune response. When I spoke to my veterinarian he said he had heard that as well. So this seems to be why he wants to start with a lower dose of L-Lysine then you all recommend.

I have also worked with and cared for bobcats. I have seen what happens with this species of cats when they have "major" immune response. From just a simple antibiotic.

But if there is not a lot of or no progress with the 250 milligram of Lysine in about two weeks I will do the dosage you all think is appropriate.

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My boys do get some grain in their diet every day... concerned about urine ph. So far - touch wood - no UTIs in this house of males.

Cat Person - the other member you might want to try and contact is KaiBengals. His name is Nial Thomson and he and his wife breed and raise Bengals. They just rescued an F1 Savannah from death row!

cat person

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi AddieBee,

Thank you very much. I will try and contact them
. Thank you again