Anyone with a hyperthyroid cat on methimazole?

4cats1parrot

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a senior cat who has been on Tapazole Tablets.  I sure notice on these posts that so many of you are seeing the same symptoms.  I honestly believe the veterinary clinics don't always tell us the side effects. when I ask what the side effects are sometimes I get a strange look from the girls at the desk.  No matter what Vet I go to. 

Sleeps allot, seems depressed lack of appetite, vomiting......all what happened to my cat from these pills but months after being on them and NO vet saying perhaps we should take her off them or yes this is the side effects OH NO not one vet would admit that. 

I have now put my cat on Transdermal Gel and IMMEDIATELY the sleepiness lack of appetite and vomiting stopped.  Now months later she is Pulling her hair out and No vet will say this is from the Gel......it could be that this is just from the disease itself but my gut tells me maybe not.  

I hear that you can get an oral suspension going to the vet today.....going to ask about it...of course here in Canada the vet will not give you a prescription to fill yourself you must pay them as they make $$$$ of your prescriptions, I tried to get one they wouldn't, no vet will.  If the oral suspension will be easier on her Id do it but they do not compound there, they would HAVE to give me a prescription we'll see how that goes.  The BUN test + visit adds up to more than $400 every time!!!  By the way any of you using the Gel in the ears....tip  clean with water every time!  and use Witch Hazel once or twice a week instead to get all the gunk off and make sure the med's are getting absorbed.  I also (very carefully) put mineral oil on the ears to soothe them once in a while.  Caution   though apparently if you get some in their nose and they ingest it....it stays in there forever and cause severe problems so be very very careful with mineral oil around a cat.

I am getting a very bad taste in my mouth where veterinary care is concerned.  It used to be that you could go to a vet with symptoms and without spending $$$$$ on tests if the symptoms were obvious they would say well (for isnstance a urinary tract infection) the symptoms blood in urine running from one box to the other obviously in pain, can only pee a drop!! They would give you the antibiotics if it didnt work you came back.   Either UTI or Bladder infection Either way you walk out the door with the same Antibiotic!                                                                                                                         So now my Nellie is getting them more often....vet says this is comman for a cat with her issues.  Twice now happened on the weekend first time barely able to pee all of the sudden, like one day good next day not....vet did tests uti gave antibiotics.....but $600 later, happens again on the weekend this vet starts putting fear in me that she could have cysts in her bladder her liver could explode at any time so I do the damn tests, no cysts a bladder infection, walk out the door and $900 later I go out with the very same Antibiotic as last time.  I feel as though I am being FINANCIALLY RAPED.  I may just be prepared next time to tell them either give me the antibiotics (I did have a pee sample they said was contaminated-even though I got it 2hrs earlier right in to a dixe cup and put in a clean glass container)   or you can put her down!  I am sooo frustrated with Vets, I have another cat that needs dental surgery months ago!  She is starting to show signs of dental irritation, not eating like she used to sleeping in cold places, just like my other  cat!  I try to brush teeth my spouse refuses to hold them for me so I get scratched up a bit he thinks it's stupid to have to brush their teeth, his sister does also and he believes whatever his sister says.

I think the push is to have insurance, if I have to have insurance on every animal I have I will not have animals.  Because of the fact is almost impossible to control your own animals health unless you are practically a vet yourself, the pet food companys sell dry kibble but never does anyone say its bad for them...you find out when they're seniors and sick.  I still have two younger cats, once nellie and piclkles are gone its raw food for them. and thats the last animals I will ever own. 

Has anyone ever had experience with methimazole oral suspension???? did it affect your cats appetite or cause vomiting??  

This afternoon I have to drive her accross the city to the holistic vet because every other vet wants to prescribe the expensive brands all vet clinics walls are lined with that are full of Carbohydrates that CAUSE diabetes in the first place, yes they use the correct proteins but refuse to use human grade proteins instead they use proteins with bi products in them, and cheap fillers like corn and rice that are not good for cats who are true carnivors...yes they get some in the wild but those carbs are PRE digested in a mouses gut or whatever they ate.  So I avoid those vets now and they want to have you get way more shots than even the vetrinary board whatever its called recommends.  Sheisters!   So frustrated.  Driving her there no doubt some guy will make his motorbike make loud noises making him look tough while my cat bounces from one side of her crate to the other by the time I get there she'll be panting and they'll say her heart rate is up,   NO Sh#t Sherlock!   God I hate not being able to do what is right for my animals :-( $$$ almost tapped out.  I think Ive spent over 6g in the past 2yrs, I just cant keep doing this I may have to say goodbye to a cat who is otherwise acting normal just because the vets want to do as many tests as they possible can.  Every time she gets a UTI this is what I have to go through!!!! Enough is enough I sure hope my vet the one I like will give me some hope

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
As I was reading your post I knew the first pills were too much, my girl did the same even on the gel when her dose was too high.

Simone has not had any side effects with the gel, at all.

Great appetite, etc. now that she is on the right dose, which btw I adjusted on my own, as soon as she was back to normal, that was what I kept giving her, then had her tested and her values are right where we want them :)

tammy3864

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Has anyone had their cat on the transdermal gel and it stopped working and have to go back to pills?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Has anyone had their cat on the transdermal gel and it stopped working and have to go back to pills?
No, but the dose may need to be increased, OR an fyi, depending on which compounding company you order it from, I think it can vary in quality and accuracy too.

I noticed the current place I ordered mine from has a much thinner consistency than the former, which makes me wonder about it's potency too.

cats5

Nicky
Adult Cat
Purraise
My sweet Rachel that you see in the picture was on Tapazole for many years & lived to be 23 yrs old. I've been down this road several times before with 2 other cats & I did go the radioactive iodine treatment for them which was not cheap but I read that was the best treatment of choice. Unfortunately, neither one of them that had this treatment lived but only a few months before they passed. So, with Rachel I decided to treat with the Tapazole. Later down the road, my cat Chelsea got this disease & even had the thyroid surgery done which she did remarkably well. Unfortunately, a few months later, she had another tumor on the remaining thyroid gland so now she is back on Tapazole. So, I have to take her in periodically to get her levels checked & sometimes have to increase or decrease plus I also get her liver & kidney checked as well. She had to be put on Pet Tinic as she became anemic due to the Tapazole so now I have to give that to her twice daily as well. Now her real brother, Mr. Topaz came down with it & he had the thyroid surgery & he's doing great. No problems & his remaining thyroid gland seems to be doing fine. So, there are pros & cons to any type of treatment you decide to go with.