Anyone with 4 cats?

Erin80

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We have had 3 cats for 4 years….but unfortunately we just suddenly lost one of our boys (the black and white in my picture) to what I’m quite sure was feline myocarditis. He was seemingly healthy but had lost a bit of weight….he was running around playing, acting totally normal the night before, and when I went to let them out in the morning, he had passed. It was extremely shocking and awful.

Anyway, that same day we made a trip to my mother in laws, 3 hours away. She had been given a kitten by my brother in law on Mother’s Day. She has never owned a cat before, he thought it would help with her loneliness as she is a widow. Turns out she became very overwhelmed by the kitten who is now 6 months old, and when we got there she told us she was going to surrender her to the SPCA. My husband suggested we take her. This kitten is totally unsocialized, living with a 73 year old widow. Anyway, obviously we took her. Overall it has been going well. She is all black, half Siamese. So now we have 3 again and are in the middle of the super fun integration process 😐

Before Binx passed away and before we got my mother in laws cat, I’d been considering a 4th cat. We have a big house, and three girls ages 13, 11 and 9. And a 3 year old Vizsla. I had contacted a lady about a grey kitten I saw advertised. He is not ready to go until Sept 23 but she is holding him for us.
I’m curious if anyone else has 4 cats and what the dynamic is like for you? I know it’s different for everyone. Before Binx died, all our animals lived in harmony. Now with the subtraction of Binx and addiction of Shivers, I don’t know how the dynamic will be as she’s a much……..spicier…..personality than he was.

Krienze

Officially a cat lady now. No regrets.
Super Cat
Purraise
I don't have four... but I do have six. Does that count?

Overall, I find the experience of being around so many cats quite enjoyable. It's a lot of work, maintaining the litter boxes and of course the cost of litter and food is something you want to consider if it's something you can/want to do.

There's always an introduction phase, which I'm sure you know. Charlie hated Gracie when we first brought her home, but now they're best friends. I know this site has a lot of great guides and ideas for helping introduce/adjust new cats.

My biggest suggestion is to "catify" for sure. Trees, condos, perches, etc. Our cats never have to fight over territory and so I suspect that has a lot to do with why our cats are so relaxed and non-aggressive with one another. I also play with them a lot with the laser and feather and I think that helps at all.

In general, I love having six. I used to think 3 was a lot but it's weird? Six for me feels far more easy to manage for some reason. I'm not saying it's like that for everyone, though

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Before our human kids we had four cats. The way I would describe it was that they co-existed. No real fights per se but one cat in particular definitely needed his own space and had to be fed separately. Another concern would be your Vizsla. We've had dogs and cats together so I understand their interactions but sometimes if there are too many animals in the house it can negatively affect a cat. I'm not saying that will happen but just something to take into consideration. You know your dog best and hopefully they can live as one happy family. :heartshape: Please keep us posted on the newcomer and I wish you the best of luck!

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We started with one and hit a high point of 9. They formed close friendships, some ignored specific others, once a new one was added and no fights. There was play fighting and the occasional hiss and swat because that's the way it is when groups live together. There was one exception. He could not be included in the group because he lived to fight. He was rehomed.

One thing I do suggest is that each cat have his/her own carrying case. It's better for emergencies from your POV, and most prefer traveling in their own case. You may find that two want to share a case, that works too, even a one cat size case. The other advantage to one case per cat is that the cases are smaller and are easier to carry as you don't have to hold your arm as far out to the side.

Krienze

Officially a cat lady now. No regrets.
Super Cat
Purraise
We started with one and hit a high point of 9. They formed close friendships, some ignored specific others, once a new one was added and no fights. There was play fighting and the occasional hiss and swat because that's the way it is when groups live together. There was one exception. He could not be included in the group because he lived to fight. He was rehomed.

One thing I do suggest is that each cat have his/her own carrying case. It's better for emergencies from your POV, and most prefer traveling in their own case. You may find that two want to share a case, that works too, even a one cat size case. The other advantage to one case per cat is that the cases are smaller and are easier to carry as you don't have to hold your arm as far out to the side.

Oh heck yeah!

Def get a carrier for each cat!

Let me tell you, when Hurricane Ida hit and we had to evacuate, having a carrier for each cat (we only had the four at the time) was a godsend! It's def good to be prepared!!

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Since your house is big,it will work out. Of course, all cats have their own personality so like neely neely said,they will coexist. It would have helped if Maggie had a playmate when she was younger instead of being left out because Coco and Peaches only tolerate Maggie but play together

lorie williams

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We have had 3 cats for 4 years….but unfortunately we just suddenly lost one of our boys (the black and white in my picture) to what I’m quite sure was feline myocarditis. He was seemingly healthy but had lost a bit of weight….he was running around playing, acting totally normal the night before, and when I went to let them out in the morning, he had passed. It was extremely shocking and awful.

Anyway, that same day we made a trip to my mother in laws, 3 hours away. She had been given a kitten by my brother in law on Mother’s Day. She has never owned a cat before, he thought it would help with her loneliness as she is a widow. Turns out she became very overwhelmed by the kitten who is now 6 months old, and when we got there she told us she was going to surrender her to the SPCA. My husband suggested we take her. This kitten is totally unsocialized, living with a 73 year old widow. Anyway, obviously we took her. Overall it has been going well. She is all black, half Siamese. So now we have 3 again and are in the middle of the super fun integration process 😐

Before Binx passed away and before we got my mother in laws cat, I’d been considering a 4th cat. We have a big house, and three girls ages 13, 11 and 9. And a 3 year old Vizsla. I had contacted a lady about a grey kitten I saw advertised. He is not ready to go until Sept 23 but she is holding him for us.
I’m curious if anyone else has 4 cats and what the dynamic is like for you? I know it’s different for everyone. Before Binx died, all our animals lived in harmony. Now with the subtraction of Binx and addiction of Shivers, I don’t know how the dynamic will be as she’s a much……..spicier…..personality than he was.
My husband and I are retired and have a part time business. I have 7 cats that I fostered/rescued then adopted. I am in the process of trying to bring another in that someone dropped off. I have 6 males and 1 female - of course, all fixed, shots etc. I am so fortunate that these guys all love each other - sometimes the playing gets a little rambunctious but always fun. The main thing is between my husband and I we have time to give each of them all the attention they want. The second oldest always balked when I brought another home, but he would warm up in a few days and he is the "mommy" cat to almost all of them, I always find him cuddling one of the younger ones. Good luck!

Purr-fect

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

i suspect all will be fine. Especially true is the kitten is a ragdoll as you say, as they are known for being easy going. In addition you have a large space for them.

And even if there are some rough patches.......at the end of the day, you new kitten will likely still be much happier than if she stayed at the mother in law's......who was overwhelmed.